1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Presbyterians End Anti-Gay Policy Barring GLBT Clerics

Discussion in 'Current Events, World News, & LGBT News' started by Fintan, Jul 11, 2011.

1. Fintan

Presbyterians End Anti-Gay Policy Barring GLBT Clerics

2. TheEdend

TheEdend Guest

So very cool :slight_smile:

3. Foxywolf

Yeah apparently at our pride there is a movie night held at a Presbyterian church.

4. Revan

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Took long enough. Catholics and Christians, hurry the F up.

5. ANightDude

Presbyterians and Catholics are Christian...? :confused:

6. BradThePug

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Some people
    Wish my church was accepting... But I'm leaving for school in a month so I don't see that happening anytime soon.

7. Shevanel

What I was going to say.

8. Revan

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I'm talking the whole Catholic Church. but that's never going to happen, Pope won't allow it. Among other people >_>

9. Sadepeura

Okay, I really like Presbyterian Church. My friend went to the annual assembly held in Edinburgh last May. I'm not sure how they coordinate with the American Presbyterian Church and how similar they are. :0

But yeah, hurray for Presbyterian Church!

10. Zontar

Curiously enough, there is nothing keeping gay men from wanting to become priests other than a wholly artificial decree. The official moral position of the Catholic church is for gays to be celibate; priests take a vow of celibacy to begin with.

If anything, I would see this as one of the first LGBT-friendly reforms to come to the church as the pedophile stigma begins to (appropriately) fade away.

11. Fintan

There are a lot of Christian Churches, mainly large traditional protestant churches, that are becoming more inclusive -- not just the Presbyterians. Like the -> Anglicans/Episcopalians, Lutherans, United, Congregationalists, Methodists etc.

Christianity is so HUGE that its really incorrect to say Christians are either for or against 'gays' as the religion is pretty divided, basically depending on where you live and what denomination you subscribe to and even within denominations.

12. Emberstone

catholics are catholics, christians are something else. The difference is if jesus christ is the center of the faith (christian), or not (catholic).

Of course, there is a further distinction between Christian (jesus christ is center of faith) and Fundementalist Christians (who denegrate the teachings of jesus and replace them with teachings of charlitans like robertson, falwell, grahmn, and that one lady who always wears purple leopord print)

13. Fintan

Thats not quite true. Christian churches are any church that believes in the "the teachings of Jesus of Nazareth" and the New Testament. Christianity basically has three branches, Roman Catholics (1.1 Billion), Eastern Orthodox (200 Million) and Protestants (800 Million). Roughly 33% of the world would say that they are Christians.

Almost exclusively, the churches which are moving forward on LGBT issues are large traditional Protestant churches, like Lutherans, Anglicans/Episcopalians, United, Presbyterians, Methodists, Congregationalists.

Fundamentalist Churches are probably the least supportive of LGBT issues and also belong to the Protestant branch of Christianity.