1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Obama asks court to go back on order to suspend DADT

Discussion in 'Current Events, World News, & LGBT News' started by Mogget, Jul 15, 2011.

1. Mogget

Shakesville blogger Melissa McEwan comments:

2. Emberstone

or obama realizes that it is best that the military does it properly, instead of a court stepping in. we are what, a month-month and a half away to it being finished and implimented.

Slow and steady wins the race, and as much as I would love for it to be a memory today, when we are talking about military preparedness, I put that ahead of my own agenda.

3. mnguy

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Some people
    It seems annoying and a waste of time to do this, but as mentioned, maybe there is something more going on that warrants this. At least, "...with the major caveat that the military can not investigate, penalize or discharge LGBT servicemembers while the case challenging the constitutionality of DADT is under appeal."

4. Katelynn

I think it might be simply a matter of Obama has to run for reelection soon & he's hedging his bets. I really like the guy & was happy he won the election (& I'm Canadian LOL!), but he is also a politician & if he wants to keep his job like most of them do, he's going to waffle on the big issues just so as not to piss off the voters too much. Pissed off people don't vote for you, but they will sure as hell vote for someone they might not agree with but says all the right things just to get their vote. I propose a new rule. Politicans are unable to & should be banned from lying during an election year in which they're up for reelection. Who's with me?

5. solarcat

Gender Pronoun:
    They
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Family only
    If they're not allowed to lie, how do you expect them to run? On honesty? I don't know how things are in Canada, but that's not how we do it here in America. We're far too realistic/ disaffected/ corrupt to believe that.

At any rate, the repeal of DADT reminds me of the integration of the US armed forces. According to Wikipedia, integration was sought as per Excecutive Order 9981. Signed in 1948,
    The last all-black unit wasn't abolished until 1954. The process racial integration went on for six years.

Now, to my knowledge, there are no all-gay units, so it's not really a matter of integration- they're already integrated, really. So there's no way to do this gradually ("Okay, everone who's last name is A-K, you can come out now. L-P, you can come out in a few months.") so we do have to be careful; if this moves too quickly, some soldiers could be at risk.

As for Obama holding off for election purposes, I'm not so sure. The ball is rolling; this is going to happen, it seems. "I ended DADT" seems a better position than "I'll end DADT."

6. RedState

This has nothing to do with a reelection campaign. The President is actually doing the right thing in this instance.

His decision his not earth-shatterng by any means, it is standard protocol. DADT is in the process of changing, and the DOD is approaching in the appropriate way, gradually to ensure the proper policies and procedures are in place before the full "integration" so to speak, begins.

The Administration and The Pentagon understands that without this gradual transition some un-necessary problems could arise.