1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Glen Cove Reverend Defying Her Church To Perform Gay Marriage

Discussion in 'Current Events, World News, & LGBT News' started by Dan82, Jul 20, 2011.

1. Dan82

http://newyork.cbslocal.com/2011/07...d-defying-her-church-to-perform-gay-marriage/

2. Emberstone

What matters is the congregation, and since they approve of her choice in preforming this marriage, that is what truly matters.

my church left the ELCA because they were making decisions without giving the churches any input or choice, and though our church is overwhelmingly moderate, and support the ordination of LGBT congregants, we do not like being told we have no choice. so we joined another church body that is also open to LGBT pastors, but on a church by church basis.

If the presbyterian body this church belongs to balks at this, I hope that the congregation cotinues to stand by and support their minister, because a church is nothing without the community of its congregation.

3. Anawim

Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    The Presbyterian church has every right to defrock a renegade minister regardless of the congregation's wishes. They also have a right to take the church from the congregation as they do not own the property and to install a minister that is in line with their church teachings.

4. Revan

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    We need people more like her. Anawim, where do you get off being judgmental over her admirable decision to perform a marriage.

5. Anawim

Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    I don't think it was an admirable decision, this woman is just trying to stir up trouble so she can get her name in the newspaper and maybe try to get the church to do something so she can take them to litigation, she's nothing but an attention whoring con artist.

6. Shevanel

And you know this how?

7. bookworm43

bookworm43 Guest

whoa, relax. ya know, i was agreeing with a lot of what you were sayin in that other thread, the one with the big fight with Bibliophile and ended up getting closed? but as of now, i wonder if you're Trying to get banned- you really need to relax. she's doing a good thing- despite whatever her motives are (and are they really THAT bad), she's clearly doing something that all ministers should do, and all states should allow. is there so much wrong with that?

8. TheAnonymity

Oh my god, please ban this Anawim (pardon my French) asshole. Have you seen her other posts?! Some crazy intolerant hater yelling crap at us. Wrong forum, Anawim.

#9 TheAnonymity, Jul 20, 2011
    Last edited: Jul 20, 2011
  9. Anawim

Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Well what happens in this type of situation is the church authority defrocks the minister. The minister then gets together with the congregation and tries to leave the church. When they try to leave the church they try to steal the church's property by claiming the congregation owns the building. She's nothing but a con artist.

She's making LGB people look confrontational and disrespectful of others beliefs, she should be using legitimate channels to try and get the church rules changed not acting like a renegade and an attention whore.

The whole gay marriage thing was a fiasco that made LGB people look like spoiled children who are willing to make the government waste millions of dollars in taxpayer's money in courts, fighting over this garbage, it set the gay rights movement back 500 years. Why would a gay man want to get married anyway, marriage is a failed institution. Marriage is also a heterosexual institution solely for a man and a woman. The institution of marriage was created by a bunch of patriarchs with the intention of turning women into chattel, why would you want to be a part of that?

10. Revan

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Or you know, she could be wanting to marry same-sex couples because she believes they deserves the same right as everyone else.

11. biangel

Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    A few people
    It's encouraging to see someone from a religious standpoint taking a stand for lgbt rights. I'm actually marching with a church in the gay pride parade for my area this month. I'm not a huge religion fan anymore, but I figured if they want to show their support for lgbt, I'd show my support for them.

12. Bibliophile

Ok going to weigh in here and this is all my opinion and NOTHING MORE. On first off it seems that yes this person went against her church doctrine and thus may be defrocked by said church and rightfully so. It is also up to whoever owns the property of the church building as to what happens of the congregation supports said pastor and also goes against whatever the organizations doctrine is. However do it think what she did is morally right? Yes indeed. Am I happy to see a religious figure supporting gay marriage. Sure am. Would I still side with the parent church as they have a right to stick to whatever they feel the religions tenets are? Yup.

So if the parent church defrock her which is a huge PR black eye in my eyes then they are well within there rights. If they take the building if the congregation goes against them too they are well within their rights. However I hope both dont happen or at the least if they do these great people find a new place fast to worship and continue the message of love and tolerance that they seem to be striving for.

13. Anawim

Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    I've found a great youtube video about this Glen Cove minister it is very interesting.

"Glen Cove"

---------- Post added 20th Jul 2011 at 10:36 PM ----------

I concede there may be a small chance that's she's out there marrying homos because she feels morally obligated too. I still think she's going about it in the wrong way for the LGB community.

#14 Anawim, Jul 20, 2011
  14. Eric

It's quite good to know that she will never give us up, never let us down, never run around and desert us. :slight_smile:

But why does she look like Rick Astley?

15. Ridiculous

Gosh this is an interesting stance: attacking people that are trying to help us.
    I can't think of a better way to go about it other than just doing it. And I think any controversy would be helpful in drawing attention to this issue.

#16 Ridiculous, Jul 20, 2011
  16. Zontar

I don't think what she's doing is bad, but she'll almost certainly face censure for it.

Some religions just plain aren't gay friendly and never will be. I personally wouldn't do this if I were in her position, but kudos nontheless.