1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

NH town sued for discrimination over HIV, AIDS

Discussion in 'Current Events, World News, & LGBT News' started by Dan82, Jul 20, 2011.

1. Dan82

http://www.bostonherald.com/news/na...ation_over_hiv_aids/srvc=home&position=recent

2. Anawim

Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    They have every right to shut down this group home. I'm sure a small New Hampshire town doesn't want disease ridden gay men spreading hepatitis through their city.

3. RedState

I have always despised property taxes...local governments have always been the most incompetent and irresponsible stewards of tax payer dollars.

However, if they filed their 501-C-3 late...the law is on the town's side I'm afraid...unless there is some smoking gun out there that proves this joint's case that it is overt discrimination by town officials, such as written communication and such.

I only skimmed the article, I imagine there is an appeals process (most areas have them)

4. Revan

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Please tell me you're being sarcastic.

5. Anawim

Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Nope this would be a legitimate concern for a small town, hepatitis is spread fairly easily through body fluids.

6. Hot Pink

Well, I think the town has every right to shut down this house. Discrimination? They didn't pay their taxes! They deserve to be shut down.

7. TheEdend

TheEdend Guest

Well, it might be discrimination since they make it clear that they usually allow other non-profits go by, but they should really get their stuff together. They know people are out to get them so they can't give themselves the luxury to make this sort of mistake :/

8. Bibliophile

Ok this pretty much sums up my thoughts on the matter to a T. If they did mess up I hope they can appeal the matter just long enough to pay what they owe. I really hope these people get to keep the house just for the sake of the good work they are trying to do. Though if they lose it due to an error on their part shame on them for putting the place in jeopardy in the first place. One would think that in a line of work like that you would be sure to keep your ducks in a row just so you don't lose all you are working hard for.

Oh and on a side note I agree with RedState that I dislike the idea of an ongoing property tax. I really think a one time flat sales tax should be all you pay.

9. Zontar

I don't think this is discrimination so much as just not having the tax money. Unfortunate, but what are you gonna do.