1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Ghana cracks down on gays

Discussion in 'Current Events, World News, & LGBT News' started by Dan82, Jul 21, 2011.

1. Dan82

http://www.starobserver.com.au/news/2011/07/21/ghana-cracks-down-on-gays/57436

2. Hot Pink

Sounds more like a witch hunt to me.

3. Revan

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Well it's official....Ghana's gone to shit.

4. Random Dent

Random Dent Guest

Qft.

5. Mr.Pushover

Down the drain it goes.

6. Emberstone

I would make a 'drinking the kool-aid' joke... but that would be in poor taste.

7. Austin

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I don't understand how this can happen in the 21st century. Can't the USA or European countries step in and make them stop or something? V.V

8. DarkClarity

I hope the people who are LGBT in Ghana will be okay.

This doesn't really surprise me. Most African countries are deeply religious and are crawling with bigots. Doesn't make the news any easier to hear though.

Humans eh? Life could be so simple but unfortunely, too many people get off on hate, misery and drama.

If only I could create a new peaceful world where people who would want to live in peace can start again and we could leave the rest to it. A guy can dream though. Got a little off topic there sorry.

I guess as a LGBT teen I'll be challanging things like this for the rest of my life. I hope I have enough fight.

9. Bibliophile

*sighs* This is exactly why things are so messed up around the world to begin with. No other country has the right to tell them what laws they can or cannot pass within their own borders. For someone to step in and force them to stop is to interfere with the sovereignty of that nation. So no we should not get involved. Should they face trade embargo and the like? Sure. I think if a country commits human rights violations then we black ball that country and put pressure on them that way. But other then that no action should be taken. I dont like what they are doing but it is not right for other countries to try and run what amounts to the internal affairs of other countries.

10. Bowie

There is so, so much action needing to be taken in countries like Ghana, and they spend their energy on sending homossexuals to jail. That's very sad.

11. Emberstone

one country cannot just force their way into another country, and push certian rules or ideals...

...that would be a invasion of another country's soverignty. All you can do is try to pressure them, but even so, history shows that you cannot force fundementalist christian goverments to for once in their existance to actually have something no fundementalist christian goverment has: morals and ethics.

12. RaeofLite

...and yet the Catholics and some other religious groups have stepped in and told the people in African countries to not use contraceptives, which means they are poorly uneducated about sexual health. It also means that the religious groups have told them not to be gay because that's not what God wants... and by keeping these people in the dark, they will never get out of the hole that is the Third World...

13. Bibliophile

Yes and these are private religious groups not governments. If gay and lesbian groups what to try to educate these people and petition the governments that is great and I am all for it. What I am not for is a goverment stepping in. I am all for individuals and private groups trying to aide these poor people.

14. Austin

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Who gives a fuck about the "sovereignty of that nation" when it comes to these things. If someone was murdering another person I'd hope someone would stop them!! If another country is persecuting a group of people I think other countries should step in!

15. British Lad

British Lad Guest

I think tanks need to be rolled in.

16. Bibliophile

You dont get it. People get persecuted all over the world for a thousand different reason. Your view point is a recipe for endless war. Because if you try to force another country to do what you want thats what you are facing. To risk the lives of your own troops to do what would amount to me kicking in your door and telling you how you can or cannot run your own home at gun point. is foolish. It just adds more bodies to the count. You really dont get that we have no right to do that. What you are asking is for us to risk tens of thousands of lives that are going to be needed, billions on property damage if fighting starts, and the problem of what to do with the country if we win.... all to save what 8,000 people. Its really easy for you to talk like this when you are not the one that is going to have to fight. I am prior military so maybe I have a bit better perspective on what is worth risking ten thousands of lives for. Because I sure as heck am not sending my brothers in blue and green to die so we can violate another nations right to self govern.

17. Jay

Jay

What would happen if, for example, the US decides to "invade another country's sovereignty?

18. Zontar

Implying Ghana was ever a nice place to live.

19. Emberstone

iraq...

20. AtmaWeapon

Precisely.

As horrible as it is, as a national entity, a nation can't exercise might and say "that's bad. Don't do that." (well, technically they could, but that's another matter of conquering those holding reigns of power and engaging in bloodshed of a greater magnitude) But organizations within a nation can do what they can to aid those oppressed in another nation, as dangerous as that would be to do.

You can't change their laws but you can attempt to bring education in the same way you can spread religion, politics, and media to another nation, but you can't do something that only those with legislative powers within a given nation can do.

#20 AtmaWeapon, Jul 22, 2011
    Last edited: Jul 22, 2011