1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Gay Barbians Glitterbomb Bachmann Clinic

Discussion in 'Current Events, World News, & LGBT News' started by Emberstone, Jul 21, 2011.

1. Emberstone

Horde of Gay Barbarians Glitterbomb Marcus Bachmann's Clinic

2. Bibliophile

If they face vandalism or trespassing charges I will feel no empathy for them. If this was a Christian group and they did this at a gay community center these same people would likely be up in arms. I support anyone's right to protest but not to cause a mess that someone else is going to have to clean up. I also dislike the double standard that if this was done to a gay community I could place money it would be reported here as discrimination.

3. No One

While I think it's a funny display, things like this only serve to further strengthen those who are against us. I agree with what Bibliophile said.

4. Emberstone

I see the glittering as a novelty, and not really anything that will change anyones mind.

Anyone who would see this as proof gays are bad already see gays as bad regardless.

I do think the dressing up as barbarians is a good way to protest his statements that as a mental health professional, his view is that gay people are barbarians destroying society.

but I really dont think it is wise to compare someone through glitter to what the fundiementalist christians do to gay people. thats apples to oranges.

5. trannydude

its about time! i just hope he isnt the next first man.

6. Bibliophile

Ok I just want to address this one statement. I was not trying to compare acts of discrimination to this action. What I was trying to say is that if a Christian group stormed into a gay community center and started tossing around confetti crosses and chanted that they wanted to pray the gay away it would be hailed as an attack rather then laughed off as this is being done. I do not like duel standards of any kind.

7. Emberstone

but even so, what you listed for the christian group would be an act of discrimination.

throwing glitter around a sitting room of a clinic that promotes completely debunked and medically dangerous practices such as ex-gay, reparative therapy, which is one of the few practices in psychology (even though it is rejected as complete, dangerous bullcrap by medical professionals) that has a suicide rate is not the same thing as someone going into a LGBT center and basically saying that gay people are abnormal and that they need their gay 'prayed away', because that may not be a bullet through the head, but it is still based solely in hatred, ignorance, and intolerence. it still is a attacking people for the fact that they are gay.

Ex-gay therapy is not a legitimate practice, and it is dangerous... thats well documented.

There is a distinction between throwing glitter, and verbally demonizing a whole section of american society.

take two minutes with a vacum cleaner, and the glitter is gone...

...but the same can not be said about the emotional results of verbal, hatefilled abuse.

Tell a child that he is abnormal and god hates him (the view and agenda of the 'prey the gay away' crowd), and that has real consequences.

8. Bibliophile

Ember we are not going to see eye to eye on this matter that much is clear. I respect your view point but I cant agree. If people want to take their chances with a practice that is publicly known to be dangerous because of their religious view points it is their right. If a minister wants to be ignorant that is his right. And I believe they have the right to be left alone while doing it. I don't have to like or agree with a persons practice to believe they have a right to be left alone while doing it. That is what I am driving at. I just think that if the same thing was done to a gay clinic and people would cry discrimination we morally should not be condoning this. Just because these people do things we don't like doesn't mean we should agree that they be harassed for it. I mean they don't agree with us being gay, lesbian or bi but we want them to leave us alone right?

9. Emberstone

so basically throwing glitter is the equivilent to homophobia and homophobic rants and statement?

Basically, little peices of shinny foil has the same consequences as people telling others that they are hated by god, to hate who they are, that they are going to hell, and that they need to pray away their identity?

10. Bibliophile

Look Ember what these people did basically could be called attacking the ministers religious beliefs. I dont like the message these people put out but no one has the right to attack someone for the practice of their religion even if the message is one we dont like. I am by no means a fan but I cannot agree with these people being harassed for it. Fighting harassment with harassment does not work nor is it wise.

11. Emberstone

it was a protest, not a lynch mob.

12. Bibliophile

Nor was what I was talking about. But look its clear we wont see eye to eye. I am going to drop it because we are only going to go in circles. I respect your opinion but dont agree and well thats pretty much where we are stuck. (*hug*) thanks for keeping it civil and such.

13. Chandra

It's not a double standard. It would be discrimination. In the scenario that you describe they would be protesting against an entire minority simply for the fact of people being gay, whereas these glitterbombers are responding directly to the homophobic words and actions of specific people, not generalizing to a whole group. The two scenarios are not equivalent.

However, I do agree that making a pointless mess of others' property is probably not the best way to get their message across.

14. Bibliophile

One could argue what they did was attack those peoples religious views. I am not a fan of the message or practice they promote or religion in general but I just feel that everyone has a right to voice what they believe even if we dont like it. I spent six years in the service and hold high the right to freedom of speech and religion even if I dont like what people do with them.....

15. Chandra

One could argue that, but one wouldn't have much proof that that was the actual motive for their protest unless they're also out there glitterbombing other churches that aren't running LGBT reform camps.

Sigh. Yes, of course they do. And everyone else has the right to respond as they see fit as long as their protest remains within the bounds of law.

16. Bibliophile

I am not sure how you see it as necessary for them to attack other churches. Because to me this is the view THESE people take on the Christian faith and homosexuality. I dont like it but hey whatever.

Sure you are right there and I question the legality of what they did. At the least it sounds like trespassing and littering or graffiti to me. I mean sure I personally find it kind of amusing and those people really earned it in my eyes. But I cannot support behavior like that when its childish and wrong.

17. Chandra

The Bachmanns have a very well-known track record of singling out the gay community, making incendiary and offensive remarks about LGBT people, voting against pro-gay initiatives, etc. There is every reason to believe that the glitterbombers were retaliating against their personal words and actions, and not simply "attacking" them because they are Christian. It is one thing to believe homosexuality is a sin, but when you start actively trying to take away people's rights and turn public opinion against a minority group, all bets are off - you are now opening yourself up to very justifiable criticism and protest.

Let me ask you a couple of questions. Is it prejudice or discrimination to say that I don't agree with people who try to "cure" gays and ban same-sex marriage? What about if I say that I personally dislike individuals who do so - is that me discriminating against them because of their religious beliefs? What if this group had simply waved signs and sung songs instead of throwing glitter - would that be discrimination? This protest was simply an expression of disagreement against the words and actions of individuals, not against an entire community or minority group.

Another question - if there were a religious community that believed it was sinful to be born black, and they ran whitewashing camps where they encouraged people to bleach their skin and hair, would you be as quick to accuse those who protested against them as holding to a double standard and engaging in discrimination? If not, why is this any different?

I'll repeat again that I don't think this group's actions were very useful or productive. If they were crossing legal boundaries, then they should be duly penalized. That still doesn't make their protest an act of discrimination.

#17 Chandra, Jul 21, 2011
    Last edited: Jul 21, 2011
  18. Bibliophile

If they had picketed sure I would be all for it. Nor do I even believe it was really discriminatory what they did. However what I was trying to get at is that this could be seen as such by other religious people and used as really bad PR. Should have been more clear. I just think this was a really bad way to go about it. I also think that the people that go to these clinics are really troubled and an act like this is going to make things much worse for them.

19. Markio

Glitter bombs sound like fun! I want to make some, except I'd want the glitter to be bio-degradable. Also, I wouldn't throw them at a clinic.

This reminds me of people who protest outside of abortion clinics. It seems like there is probably a much more efficient alternative action that could be done, like supporting non-profits that support teen moms or unwed mothers, or in this particular case, distributing facts about the shortcomings of reparative therapy clinics. Or something, I couldn't think of anything better just yet.

20. concklin

Looks like someone found a new debate buddy.

I think the glitter thing is kinda silly, no matter what you're dressing up as. Is it really accomplishing anything? Picketing with signs would at least be effective.