1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

End of DADT

Discussion in 'Current Events, World News, & LGBT News' started by Bibliophile, Jul 22, 2011.

1. Bibliophile

WASHINGTON (AP) — Pentagon chief Leon Panetta has decided to end the ban on gays serving openly in the armed services and certify that repealing the 17-year-old prohibition will not hurt the military's ability to fight, officials said Thursday.
    His decision, which was expected, comes two weeks after the chiefs of the military services told Panetta that ending the ban would not affect military readiness. Dismantling the ban fulfills a 2008 campaign promise by President Barack Obama, who helped usher the repeal through Congress and signed it into law late last December.

AP sources: Panetta to OK end of military gay ban - USATODAY.com

2. Emberstone

now to wait for the 60 day period to pass once obama certifies it also. I heard whispers a few days ago that he was expected to do that today.

3. Hot Pink

Finally, the gay witch hunts in the military will end.

4. Bibliophile

What witch hunts? I served for six years and heard and saw nothing. We had an openly lesbian girl on my ship and no one cared in the slightest. She brought a date to the ships Christmas party and no one said a word. Frankly the only thing that everyone ever said was the envied her game when it came to getting really cute women. There were several guys that though they never said they were gay trust me they were umm rather obvious even if they didnt say it. No one really cared. Well they might have gotten teased but nothing mean mostly just the same ribbing that anyone gets.

Are there places where bad things might happen sure. Are there a few homophobes? Yup. Could a really vindictive person have tried to get those people or myself for that matter kicked if they got evidence. Yea. But they would have been looked down on and black listed more then likely. And everyone would have tried to stop them. Over all people dont care so long as you do your job.

5. Tracy Lord

I served for six years, too, and I can tell you that things are different in the Army and Marines.

Not the girl part, though. No one cares what girls do.

6. Bibliophile

I would have to ask how recent your service is. I mean things have changed over time so if you served in the early 90s lets say it could a very different world now. I mean I just read of an openly gay soldier killed by an IED in Iraq whose unit got a check point or base named for him. Though I will grant maybe he just got lucky.

7. Tracy Lord

Quite recent.

8. TheEdend

TheEdend Guest

This is all pretty awesome :grin:

9. Bibliophile

Well then as I said that soldier must have been rather lucky to have such a great unit. I will defer to you on what the climate in those branches are. So the only thing I can say for sure is in the Navy most people could care less. I find that odd though as we are packed closer and out to sea yet people still could care less in general. Any thoughts on why the heck that would be?

10. Tracy Lord

Dude, the old joke is, "it's not gay if you're under way." People have been joking about the gayness of navies for centuries....

11. Bibliophile

LOL yes we used that term all the time underway outselves. However still its one thing for it to be a joke and another for it to be a reality. I would just think those packed shoulder to shoulder underway for months at a time would be more likely to be worried about gays in the ranks. But that wasn't the case. I find that interesting.

12. Emberstone

[YOUTUBE]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Yqkx0zQo46Y[/YOUTUBE]

13. Bibliophile

LOL good one Ember. Gotta love Stewie