1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

GOProud and Birchers ousted as CPAC co-sponsors

Discussion in 'Current Events, World News, & LGBT News' started by Dan82, Aug 2, 2011.

1. Dan82

http://dailycaller.com/2011/07/29/g...pac-co-sponsors-david-horowitz-survives-vote/

2. biosynth

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    dang and it was such a good sign for the republicans that they chose GOProud over the others the first time.

3. RedState

Well, that's to bad about GOProud...they threw the best (and most attended) party of the entire conference last year.

The interesting thing is that the ACU bitched about them, and yes some groups boycotted, but there was still a ton of people there last year...no one missed them at all (the groups that didn't attend)...and the vast majority of the attendees didn't mind them being there at all, they welcomed them actually.

#3 RedState, Aug 2, 2011
    Last edited: Aug 2, 2011
  4. biosynth

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    i would hope they would welcome them id love to see my party get up to date on the whole gay thing and a lot of other things i can think of off the top of my head, only having two parties kind of sucks :confused:

5. Emberstone

You would think conversatives would welcome GOProud, a extremely homophobic anti-gay rights political group who tends to always support the anti-gay far right lunatic extremist polititions, would be welcome with open arms to the hate-orgy that is far right anti-freedom convention.

6. biosynth

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    uh you do know GOProud is a gay republican group right? what evidence do you have to support that kind of claim?

7. RedState

From someone that, you know, has ACTUALLY BEEN to this...as has been for the past several years...I can say with the utmost confidence that you really do not have a clue as to what you are talking about.

8. Emberstone

Ryan Sorba... Youth for western civilization (a noted white supremicist student group)... Family Research Council... Concerned Womens for America... National Organizations for Marriage... Focus on the Family... Liberty Council... American Princible project... just a handful of people and orgnizations know for their hatefilled rhetoric against gay people... some of which, like the YfWC also are anti racial minority, and anti-none christian.

Their rhetoric, both at CPAC and outside of CPAC are hardly hidden.

As for GOProuds homophobic tendacy, in relation to a earlier reply. Look into their campaign donations, and the politicions they are talking to. You will notice they go to far right anti-gay politicions. Also, notice, they do not actually spend a sliver of their time advocating for gay rights. Their open and financial support for homophobic polititicions, along with their usage of homophobic terms to attack gay democrats GOProud launches homophobic ad against Barney Frank | The Bilerico Project show that this is a group that is not concerned with gay issues, because they dont bother to advocate for them. This instead is a group that was set up clearly (by their actions), to advocate for right wing ideology, while giving the illusion that the party accepts gay people, and their rights, when clearly, that is not true.

They may post blog posts about gay issues from time to time when trying to create the illusion that conservatives are friendly towards gay people, but they do not act upon helping ensure LGBT citizens are granted their equal rights. If you even go to their website, they are quite open with the fact that LGBT rights are not even apart of their group's goals. they are not listed in their mission statements, nor those their website focus any effort at all on garnering support for LGBT citizens.

9. Mogget

GOProud's About page identifies them as gay conservatives, but, as Ember says, says absolutely nothing about pushing for gay rights.

Excerpt:

10. Emberstone

exactly. if they really did support gay rights, you would expect that they would at least mention it. their actions support the fact that gay rights are hardly a concern of GOProud, because they tend to always act against the interest of LGBT people by pretty much only supporting the brand of republican/conservative that will never support LGBT citizens equal rights.

11. Mogget

In contrast the Log Cabin Republicans do call for LGBT inclusion and equality:

Or at least LGB inclusion, they don't mention trans* people.

12. Emberstone

doesnt really fit with their activitys over the past year, but it comes down to they want to create the illusion that the republican party establishment is supportive of gay people, which they remain firmly against. but if you pay attention to GOProud, they are not even bothering to advocate for gay republicans.

13. RedState

Guys, it's ok to be a conservative and think that there are more important issues out there other than the "gay agenda" or whatever...I certainly do, and I don't think that makes me or one else who is of similar thinking any less gay...or at least not the last time I checked.

14. Mogget

Yes, but it's weird to be a conservative, and create or join a conservative group specifically looking for members of a certain demographic, and not advocate the interests of that demographic. Or a liberal doing the same thing, for that matter.

15. biosynth

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    honestly im a libertarian not a conservative, im not particularly happy with a lot republicans have to offer, the republican liberty caucus (a libertarian republican group) has been better with gay rights than the explicitly gay republican groups, but in the end at least there was a group of openly gay republicans that were accepted by a good portion of the party. it was a start and i hate to see it take a step back, even if it wasn't really pushing for anything.

16. Emberstone

exactly. They laud themselves for being a gay group, but they only seem to support viruelently dangerous homophobes.

17. RedState

Not really...it's been going on for years actually...just in different parameters.

Should or do the majority of the black population support Rep. Allen West (R-FL) or Rep. Tim Scott (R-SC) just because they are black as well? They are part of the exact same demographic, yet their support of these 2 elected Members of Congress is nothing less than anemic...it's based on policy, not demographics.

I'm gay...Rep. Barney Frank (D-MA) is gay, yet if I lived in the MA 4th, I would not only vote against him, I would work for his opponent...because it's about specific policy, not demographics.

18. Mogget

RedState, that's totally backwards from what I said. I didn't say groups that form based on demographics should automatically support anyone in that demographic. I said they should advocate for the interests of that demographic.

19. RedState

It's not backwards at all...it's the exact same thing in a different spectrum.

My point is just because you are gay, or a gay group, and don't think that gay marriage is the most important thing in the world, doesn't make it odd...it simply means that your policy priority is different.

There are a lot of gay people out there that are more concerned with individual fiscal policy than the rapid advancement of say...gay marriage for example, so why should a gay group that advocates these issues be any different than Grover Norquist, or The Club for Growth?

20. Mogget

Why would a conservative group for gay people form if it wasn't to advocate for gay causes within conservative politics and culture. There are plenty of other, already existing, more powerful and better-funded groups advocating for conservative causes. There's no need to branch off and have a group specifically for gay conservatives if all they want to do is advocate for traditional conservative causes.

As I said, if a group bands together based on a mixture of political ideology and demographics, it's natural for it to advocate for its ideology, but it's also natural for it to advocate for its demographic and it seems weird that it wouldn't.