1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Ashley Yang, transgendered former TSA agent, was forced to pat down male passengers

Discussion in 'Current Events, World News, & LGBT News' started by Dan82, Aug 5, 2011.

1. Dan82

http://www.nydailynews.com/news/nat...nt_was_forced_to_pat_down_male_passenger.html

2. bookworm43

bookworm43 Guest

Re: Ashley Yang, transgendered former TSA agent, was forced to pat down male passenge

grr...

3. Kerze

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Re: Ashley Yang, transgendered former TSA agent, was forced to pat down male passenge

Even if she was dressed as a man with her hair back, I'm pretty sure my response would be 'wtf, why are you making a woman pad me down? SWEAR this is illegal...'

4. Zontar

The Terrible Security Agency is not really adept at doing anything properly if you think about it...

5. XXReye

I find the opening paragraph a little questionable, but I'm happy to see the article is at least respectful of Ms. Yang. So many times they aren't when dealing with trans issues.

I find it slightly amusing that they allowed her to wear her hair long for fear of being cited for religious discrimination. But who cares about gender discrimination :icon_roll

6. Emberstone

yah. the "popping hormones" part really irked me.

7. Leif

Upsetting but sadly not unexpected. Something similar happened at the San Diego airport while I lived there. What made me the most angry is the news channels kept on following her around, the poor woman just wanted to work and be left alone.

#7 Leif, Aug 5, 2011
    Last edited: Aug 5, 2011
  8. Haberdasher

Glad I'm not the only one who felt that way about the opening. It's medication, folks, not drugs.

9. SaphireMoon

about 2-3 hours north of the twin cities in MN

why herass her like that she is a woman end of story.

10. Tim

Tim

This is actually grey territory.

Legally, they have to have the same gender pat down the people.

(I mean no offense in the way I explain this).

She is a woman, but was born a man. By most state laws, she is a man. Which means legally, she would have to pat down the male passengers.

However, as she is dressed like a woman, looks like a woman, and is a woman on the inside. (This is the part I mean no offense to, not sure how to phrase it without offending someone), she cannot pat down the men without having the possibility of lawsuits occur from it.

Thus, she was asked to dress like a man.

I understand it was not right, etc. However, you have to realize, the airline did it because of the laws. It was most likely not their choice. It was to protect the airlines from being sued. If she patted down women, who found out legally she was a man, then they could sue as well. So, logically, they would have to have her pat down the men... dressed as a man, as being dressed as a woman would cause as I said, possible lawsuits from the men.

Again, I mean no offense by this, it's hard to explain what I mean without saying "Dress like a woman". I am aware that it is not a choice. I am simply explaining to the best of my ability.

In other words: Not the airline, it's the laws. Until they change, this incident will unfortunately be repeated.

Very few states have laws that officially recognize the gender of someone that identifies as the opposite gender that is on their birth certificate. This is where the problem lies.

11. Zontar

This just shifts the blame from one person to the next. Doesn't make it any less 'tarded. If I were in charge of things, I'd let people legally change their gender as soon as they start therapy.

12. Tim

Tim

No, it doesn't.

But people need to stop blaming the airlines for following the law and protecting themselves from lawsuits.

13. RedState

I'm asking this just because I honestly don't know..but when someone goes through the hormone protocol and/or surgery when do they actually biologically become a man/woman...or do they (from a scientific standpoint) at all?

14. Hot Pink

In Minnesota, a transsexual can become legally their preferred sex at any point in their transition. All it takes is paper work. Some states, like Texas, don't allow someone to change their sex at all. Others require you to at least be on HRT or have had SRS.

As for biologically, that depends on your definition. There's no way for someone to become their preferred sex genetically. There's also no way for you to be able to reproduce as your preferred sex (i.e. get pregnant)--at least not yet. However, these things don't make someone a woman. If they did, barren women would be men, right? No, it takes something deeper to be a woman. That's what gender identity is all about.

15. Leif

This conversation can get very ugly very fast due to strong emotions. I really hope that doesn't happen.
    I agree with Tim
    Personally, I don't blame the TSA or the Airlines, as much as it hurts they are doing their job. I do however blame the media and society for having such a stigma against people that don't fit the norm. But sadly that is just what we have to deal with nowadays. Hopefully in the near future this will change.

16. Leif

How to Avoid Getting Sued for Workplace Sexual Harassment of Transgender Employees - San Francisco News - The Snitch

Woo!