1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Fox News Parent Company News Corp Banking On Gay Marriage

Discussion in 'Current Events, World News, & LGBT News' started by Dan82, Aug 8, 2011.

1. Dan82

http://www.ontopmag.com/article.aspx?id=9150&MediaType=1&Category=26

2. biosynth

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    thats the fun part of corporations, they dont let their politics get in the way of their money.

3. Revan

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
  4. Chandra

I'd like to be shocked that a major corporation is showing such hypocrisy, but...

5. Emberstone

remeber, this is the company that was involved with countless hackings, expecially of victims of crimes, and allegedly 9/11 victims.

6. steel03

7. bookworm43

bookworm43 Guest

8. MyDecember

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    All but family
    yup.

9. Chip

Board Member Admin Team Advisor Full Member

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Murdoch has never given a shit about anything except money. He's openly said that if he could make more money running a "news" network with a liberal slant, he'd do it in a heartbeat.

10. XXReye

I'm interested in what's gonna be in this magazine...not that I would buy it, but maybe leaf through it in the supermarket :stuck_out_tongue_closed_eyes:

11. biosynth

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    isn't that the point though? people buy stocks in a corporation with the expectation that the corporation will make money and they will get a return on their investment. i really do believe that a corporations only responsibility is to make profit, its their purpose and it is how the economy as a whole moves, thats why its called profit motive, its like economic gasoline. besides a corporation isn't a person (except when it needs to be sued) you cant really call a collective a hypocrite.

12. Emberstone

you can call a collective hypocritical. For example, corporations will claim with one breath that it is not the goverments job to create jobs, but then with the next breath blast the president for not creating jobs, while at the same time having hundreds of billions, and sometimes trillions of dollars sitting there that they, the corporations, could invest in creating jobs. multiple hypocracies there.

13. biosynth

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    i have a savings account of a couple hundred (which i consider dangerously low) and im just one person, a corporation is a collective with a lot of people involved and considering how the economy has gone and all the uncertainty in the world im not surprised they save money.

as for corporations wanting the president to make them some jobs, that's just crony capitalism and often the mixing of what a CEO says and what the corporation tries to milk out of the government because it can and a collective has no morals.

besides corporations are a government intervention in free markets from the start originally used like they are today (they existed before but for building hospitals and not for profit) by the British to create a company that would hold a trade monopoly for the empire and get the British government more power over the economy and its empire.

14. RedState

You are exactly right, the main purpose of a corporation is to make a profit for those that have shares in said corporation. The only reason why some are bitching about this on here is that it is the parent company of Fox News that is involved.

Big deal. If it works, good for them. If it fails, lesson learned.

15. Emberstone

The issue is that a corporate entity whoses brands (not just fox news, but the majority of their media outlets) skew overwhelmingly anti-gay is now trying to profit off the gay community.

it is a conflict of interest for a company thats history is filled with them pushing far right, anti-civil equality agendas, and demonizing LGBT people, including demonizing victims of crimes that were targeted for being or appearing gay.

it would be like the WBC creating a magazine celebrating LGBT people.

the hypocracy is there, and the 'drive for profits' doesnt erase it.

if a collective cannot be hypocritical, I am going to jump the bones of a few people here at EC the next time they make a statement about democrats being hypocritical. collectives can be hypocritical because collectives are made up of more than one person sharing views. when a collective says one thing and does another, as in this case, it makes their statements and actions hypocracies against each other.

want proof collectives can be hypocritical... fox news claims they are "fair and balanced", yet they do not report the news, they spin it in a specific way. media tends to do that, but to claim that they are fair or balanced is a hypocracy, because all it takes is 5 minutes with each news outlet to learn none can claim that.

16. biosynth

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    but democrats as a group aren't hypocritical, merely..... misguided.... when it comes to economics :stuck_out_tongue_closed_eyes: (now if only i could honestly say that republicans weren't)

when seen from the stand point of profit motive those things are simply tools to make money, the political issue isn't their focus the money is, agree or disagree it isn't really hypocrisy from that stand point. not to mention Murdoch doesn't directly run everything in the company and FOX news isn't directly making the magazine its a different group within the company. the closest analogy i can think of off the top of my head is saying that America is hypocritical because some states have gay marriage and others dont.

17. Emberstone

you seemed to have skimmed my post. rupert murdochs media holdings tend to be overwhelmingly anti-gay. his various publications and news outlets are prone to homophobia as apart of their offerings. the hypocracy comes down to now, after spending decades demonizing gays, the media conglomerate is now trying to profit from trying to appeal to them.

I did use fox news to show an example of hypocracy... but an example of hypocracy, not a specific one in regards to this thread... though fox news shows it homophobia more than most of murdochs holdings.

As for democrats being misguided on their economic policies, you are basing that on your ideolagy, but not on the facts. historically, in the last 50 years, democrats are the only party to have left the white house with balanced budgets and surpluses. republicans are the only party to have never once in 50 left the white house with balanced budgets or surpluses. if you want evidence, look at what bush left america, and look at the fact that all republicans have done since then is dig their heels in, and refuse to allow any of the policies that fueled that collapse to be changed or replaced.

obamas only fault is that he has not been more aggressive at fighting back against those policies. he has created more jobs in the first year and a half of his presidency than the whole 8 years of bush. if he had fought harder to fix the tax code republicans destroyed, we would be in a far stronger place, and for that, he is at fault.

republicans claim they are better becaue republicans view the top, not the majority, as the indicator of economic health.

Also, interestingly enough, the last republican to balance the budget with a surplus would be a democrat by todays standards.

18. biosynth

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    im not really going to argue the murdoch thing anymore since we will just go in a circle forever on it.

as for clinton hes the only president who can reasonably claim to be fiscally conservative in the slightest and i wouldn't vote for a bush if you put a gun to my head.

which republican are you refering to that would be a democrat?

19. RedState

Well, this both true and false at the same time.

First, i'm assuming that you realize that The President does not appropriate revenue correct?

Secondly, if you want to get really technical about it, the last President to preside over a pure surplus (meaning strict tax revenue versus expenditures) was Dwight Eisenhower. It was actually LBJ that encouraged the accounting practice of shifting balances of non-budget items to the baseline of the general appropriation bill (which is still practiced today in many forms) He actually started by shifting the balance of social security to the base line to increase collateral to help pay for the Vietnam War.

Budgetary numbers in good economic times are boosted heavily by these transfers, it's one of the tools of the trade that both Republicans and Democrats use to their advantage..especially when crafting a budget (but then again..going on the past 2 or so years...writing a budget seems to be some foreign concept to the Democratic leadership)

and Clinton fought the GOP tooth and nail in the mid-90's over the balanced budget(s) he signed. To clinton's credit he finally did give in and work with Republican congressional leaders...thank God Newt and company rejected Clinton's demands for hundreds of billions in new social spending...this was done, however, at the expense in a slash in DOD appropriations bill over the years. But I will gladly take Bill Clinton over the current occupant of The White House.

And groups can be hypocrites....but making money makes it not so bad

#19 RedState, Aug 10, 2011
    Last edited: Aug 10, 2011
  20. Zontar

It's called business.

You think Fox News would be preaching against gays if it wasn't bringing in ad revenue?

News Corp doesn't really care either way about gay rights...like any other company. There's money to be had in both pro-gay and anti-gay consumers.