1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Australian Census: What Australians think of marriage equality

Discussion in 'Current Events, World News, & LGBT News' started by JudasKissedHIM, Aug 10, 2011.

1. JudasKissedHIM

Read this great article. Scroll down to the second image to see the interesting points raised by the census regarding marriage equality.

2. KittyBoy

We Australians are a weird mob.

3. JudasKissedHIM

I LOVE you Australians... And I hear you guys are the least religious nation in the world? Something like 63% of Australians say they have "some" connection to Christianity, and only 25% of those actually attend church. Do you think that's accurate?

Im going to immigrate to Australia A.S.A.P (!)

4. Stuie

Australia is really secular sometimes and then has the occasional bizarre religious moment, e.g. the Chaplaincy in schools program, which is really strongly disagree with. Our generation is really very secular particularly.

That's quite an interesting survey they did. It's pretty clear that the majority of Australians are in favour of gay marriage, but it's only working it's way through Labor party state conferences now. I'm quite glad! :slight_smile:

5. JudasKissedHIM

Yeah I read that. Somewhere in December they will debate the issue? But what chance is there that they will actually support marriage equality? Isn't your PM oposed to it?

Another thing I've heard is that she is actually a lesbian and uses her "partner" as a beard? Is that true?

6. You Australians are awesome :stuck_out_tongue_closed_eyes:

7. JudasKissedHIM

DITTO :icon_wink

8. KittyBoy

They say a lot of things, many of which they never deliver on. The things the people want are rejected and the things the government wants are installed. The unhidden puppet-master that keeps Labor in power, Bob Brown, the openly gay leader and founder of the Green party, and can push the issue and he even says that he does not support same-sex marriage. And yes our PM is very opposed to the idea as well, even though one of her senior federal senators is openly lesbian, Penny Wong, has a partner and is having a child with her. So the likeliness of debate is very slim indeed.

And those rumours about that red-haired menace have been circulating for a while now, but it wouldn't surprise me if they ended up being accurate. Every public appearance with that blundering imbecile Mathieson has at best been very distant.

#8 KittyBoy, Aug 10, 2011
    Last edited: Aug 10, 2011
  9. Emberstone

what does smoking pot or not have to do with gay marriage support? that just seems really really really really really really really really really random.

10. matt3208pc

Just one of the random whacky things that only a census can reveal.
    And I bet Gillard doesn't give a shit about whether same-sex marriage is legal or not. The woman who is not religious and is living with a man who she is not married to bases her beliefs regarding marriage in "tradition", I call bullshit. She thought the public wanted to hear that she did not support SSM, so she went with it. Although I despise Abbott, at least we know who he is, albeit this is a conservative christian nutter who feels "threatened" by homosexuals.
    If democracy started working as it should and our elected officials actually represented the views of the majority SSM would go ahead. But then again the majority are obsessed with "stopping the boats" and are woefully indifferent to the plight of asylum seekers. So either way we're screwed. Wow that was a long rant.