1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Gay presidential candidate Fred Karger has a message

Discussion in 'Current Events, World News, & LGBT News' started by Dan82, Aug 11, 2011.

1. Dan82

http://www.latimes.com/news/nationworld/nation/la-na-0810-karger-gop-2012-20110810,0,7085593.story

2. Mogget

The comments section is great.

3. biosynth

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    i dont really get how he's helping make gay's social lepers, that goal seems to have escaped me in the article.

4. Revan

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    It's hilarious.

5. Zontar

You won't see a gay president in any of your lifetimes.

It was hard enough getting a Black one in this country.

You could have every solution to every problem in the world, but in the eyes of 78.4% (percent of Christians in America) of this country, you're a "sinner."

6. Revan

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    You won't see one either Zontar >_> And in that 78.4% I'm a "sinner" means nothing to me lol

7. Mogget

I strongly disagree. Even among evangelical Christianity, the younger demographics are increasingly in favor of LGBT rights and gay people in general. As Dan Savage says, the only demographic that is overwhelmingly anti-gay is old people.

8. Chip

Board Member Admin Team Advisor Full Member

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    The problem is, the more you read about this guy, the more you realize he's simply a looney.

I get the sense he's doing this mostly to stroke his own ego, not to actually make any meaningful difference for gays and lesbians. All of his press releases smack of desperation and whining.

He's about as credible as the guy from the Rent is Too Damn High party, and you saw what happened when that guy was included in a debate. I can see why Fox wants nothing to do with him, and gays (who are overwhelmingly democrats) don't want anything to do with him. I don't even think the Log Cabin republicans want anything to do with him.

9. British Lad

British Lad Guest

Classic

10. biosynth

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    im the same as a black KKK member? i think your overestimating the difficulty of getting a gay president, or the difficulty Barack Obama had becoming president you do realize he won by a large majority right? 90% of Americans dont care if hes black, it doesn't matter to them, your largely going in for the illusion of racism just to dismiss any opposition to him.

11. Steve712

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Some people
    How can you possibly know that? 57% of the voters turned out, and Obama won with 53% of that. Some quick math tells us that 30% of the eligible voters actually supported him on election day. That's not a lot of support. Besides, right-wing militias and hate groups are on the rise in America. According to the Southern Poverty Law Center, "there are 1,002 known hate groups operating across the country, including neo-Nazis, Klansmen, white nationalists, neo-Confederates, racist skinheads, black separatists [and] border vigilantes," and "Since 2000, the number of hate groups has increased by 54 percent. This surge has been fueled by fears of Latino immigration and, more recently, by the election of the country’s first African-American president and the economic crisis." (Hate and Extremism | Southern Poverty Law Center) If anything, it's looking pretty dismal.

12. Steve712

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Some people
    Oh, and even if you're right about 90%, 10% of Americans is still thirty million people!

13. Austin

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Uh I agree with Liam. The old people who have a problem with it will die off. I'll grow old with a generation of people who largely support gay rights.

Either way the odds of getting a gay president aren't too high just considering that maybe 10% of people are gay. Then you have to hope that that 1 in 10 is actually worth voting for....

---------- Post added 13th Aug 2011 at 10:50 AM ----------

Also keep in mind that just because some people did not support Obama, does not automatically mean that they had a problem with his race.

This reminds me of this : [YOUTUBE]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4Uny-qSz6Wk[/YOUTUBE] If you don't like Obama you is a racist!

#13 Austin, Aug 13, 2011
    Last edited: Aug 13, 2011
  14. Mogget

While it's true that not everyone who is opposed to Obama is a racist, there has been a pattern of consistently racist attacks against Obama from the right (and during the primary, from the left as well). The birther controversy is pure racism, as are the repeated allegations that Obama is a secret Muslim. Note that by and large, GOP officials have refused to condemn these attacks, despite the fact that they have no basis in reality.

There's also the caricatures of Obama as a monkey, which is a traditional way to depict blacks as less than human in the US. Don't forget the photoshopped images of the White House lawn as a watermelon garden (there's a traditional association in the US between black people and watermelons, and it's a racist association for reasons that would take too long to go into); these photos were spread by GOP elected officials.

Then there was the accusation that the Affordable Health Care Act (Obamacare) included reparations to black people for slavery. Oh, and don't forget the repeated assertion that Obama hates white people, coming from conservative icons such as Rush Limbaugh and Glenn Beck (and hordes of Tea Partiers).

I could go on.

15. RedState

Crap like this is not restricted to the right (as you noted)...after all it was Bill Clinton that told Ted Kennedy regarding Obama "A few years ago this guy would be fetching us coffee"

In reality, in the political world certain groups use other groups. The Democrats use the blacks, the Republicans use the Evangelicals

I don't agree that the birther movement was nothing but racist...it, in reality, was a bunch of conspiracy kooks...and just about every GOP official I saw interviewed, when asked about it, said as much.

There was a movement by the left to label the President's detractors as racist...it gained some traction with the leftist kooks but it did not sit well with The White House, nonsense like that was the last thing they wanted because they realized how much of a divide that would have created (although the President is still baffled that people actually disagree with him).

As far as the rumors of reparations...well, when this mammoth 2,000 plus page legislation was passed anything could have been included...no one knew what was in that thing because no one read it..remember the words "We have to pass the bill to find out what's in it"?

As far as this Karger guy....nutcase.

#15 RedState, Aug 13, 2011
    Last edited: Aug 13, 2011
  16. Mogget

Yes, the birthers are conspiracy nuts, but that doesn't mean they aren't racist conspiracy nuts. The idea that Obama is not a real American, is secretly a Kenyan, these are rooted in the idea that a black man can't possibly be a real American, can't possibly be eligible to be President. That's why the allegations that John McCain wasn't a real American citizen (being born in Panama and all) never took hold.

17. RedState

Oh, I don't doubt that there were racists in that mix at all, I simply disagree that the whole thing was started as a front for an underground racist movement. It's actually very interesting to see what issue the kooks latch on to during every election cycle....it changes, and like a bunch of traveling gypsies, they always seem to roam together.

18. TheEdend

TheEdend Guest

Yeah, he does sound pretty crazy and he can be doing all of this just for his own gain, but I think that's pretty much the point.

There is this mentality right now in the gay community that only the best people with the best intentions should come out and do their thing because we need to be "represented" or something along those lines, which I think its completely bogus.

I personally think this is great. Here is this guy who is doing what he thinks its right (not sure if it is, but that's not the point here) and he is actually doing it. Yeah, he seems totally crazy, but he is doing it, for whatever reason, and the simple fact that he is able to do it speaks greatly about how far we have been able to come with our society.

19. biosynth

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    i was being hyperbolic about the 90-10 race thing, it is more than likely less than that, dont confuse using race as a tool as racism in and of itself even racism (in the american context against blacks) itself was a tool created by the plantation owners to resist the repeal of slavery. you come off as somebody who wants americans to be racist when you actively try to find it in everything that goes on.

using race for political expedience makes you a bad person or an idiot but doesn't neccesitate racism.

your definantly overestimating how long it could be till we have a gay president, it reminds me of the people back when i was little and bush was president saying it would be another hundred years till we have a black president and here we are.

20. Mogget

I strongly disagree. If someone is using racist language, or using traditional racist ideas about race for political purposes, that's racism. It doesn't necessarily make the person using it a racist, but it's still racist language. Jay Smoove explains it better than I can.

[YOUTUBE]b0Ti-gkJiXc[/YOUTUBE]