1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Episcopal Bishop Tells New York Gay Clergy To Marry Their Partners…or Else

Discussion in 'Current Events, World News, & LGBT News' started by Fintan, Aug 22, 2011.

1. Fintan

Hilarious! No more living in sin gay-clergy! Get hitched!

Episcopal Bishop Tells New York Gay Clergy To Marry Their Partners…or Else

"No ifs, ands, or buts about it! Now that gay marriage will be legal in the state of New York as of July 24th, Long Island Episcopal Bishop Lawrence Provenzano has mandated that all same-sex clergy members who are living together must do right by their church and chosen profession. So hurry up and get married already! “I need to be mindful that the church has always asked people to live in committed monogamous, faithful relationships. I won’t allow heterosexual clergy to live in a rectory or church housing without the benefit of marriage. When one puts it in that context, then you see how it all begins to make sense,” said Provenzano.

He ain’t foolin’ either: Provenzano has put a nine-month deadline for them to either get hitched or stop living together.

Reverend Christopher Hofer, pastor of the Episcopal Church of St. Jude agrees with Provenzano, “I think his statement was not only fair, but beyond generous. It gives people time, acknowledging that there’s a financial component involved and recognizing that some may not choose to live together. Now that the state is recognizing civil marriage, we as priests—perhaps deacons too—who are in committed relationships have a choice: we either live what we preach to become civilly married or we live apart.”

There’s nothing more romantic than a shotgun wedding. Swoon."

Love it! Gay Marriage has been permitted & promoted by the Episcopal/Anglican Church in the USA since 2009, pending the local Bishop & state law.

2. Mogget

I have no problem with this. I'm surprised the Episcopal church hasn't already demanded that same-sex couples have a commitment ceremony in the church.

3. maverick

This is awesome, and I agree with the bishop. Put up or shut up.

4. Sadepeura

This made me so happy! :slight_smile:

5. Jay

Jay

Ok, this is news and this is amazing!!!