1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Store Refuses to Sell Wedding Dress to Bride

Discussion in 'Current Events, World News, & LGBT News' started by Revan, Aug 23, 2011.

1. Revan

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    More in the link of course. But she's the one doing the illegal action >_> What a tool.

2. omg yes, I saw this the other day. I went and looked at the review on Yelp for the business and there were pages upon pages... All one star reviews and people telling the business not to be such haters after this whole debacle! Crazy how people have been coming out of the woodwork to show solidarity and warn against buying from places where the people are actively discriminatory. That store's business will suffer for this, obvs.

3. Veronica

I say: Name and shame

4. Katelynn

Just another example of how ignorant someone who's homophobic can truly be - this business owner couldn't even get the law straight to the point where they themselves broke the law. The worst thing about all this is the negative memory of this incident that the happy couple will have to live with long after they are married. Hopefully this person's business ends up going under because of her own ignorance - I personally believe that if most people are faced with either holding on to their homophobia or being financially secure, stable & independent, they'd choose the money over their own fears. But then again, there will always be some people who just won't let go either. I just let God deal with those people, She could do much worse than I ever could wish upon them anyway...

5. Sadepeura

Hah, that's just unbelievable. But I hope she gets fined or something because that's illegal.

6. Owen

In Loving Memory Full Member

The owner will ultimately lose business over this. I think that is the ultimate justice.

Edit: Paige wasn't kidding. They currently have one and half starts out of five on Google and Yelp. Suffice it to say that they've lost the business of anyone who looks for stores on the internet.

7. Veronica

Which is why expressing public outrage is important in these cases.

A politician in one of our main parties made some ignorant comment about gays and lesbians on the party website recently. Pointing these things out in public will definitely cause them to lose votes in next months elections.

8. RedState

I'm don't think the store owner did anything illegal...very stupid maybe...but I don't think illegal.

The greatest revenge in situations like this is to made dissatisfaction known by hitting them in the wallet.

9. It is illegal in that state to refuse someone's business based on sexual orientation. I'm pretty sure. But either way, you're right. no matter what they do to the business now, legally speaking, even if it's nothing, the damage is done via public outrage.

10. Chip

Board Member Admin Team Advisor Full Member

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    It turns out that New Jersey is one of the few states that actually has "sexual orientation" listed in the state code as a protected class against discrimination. I know it applies to commerce, and I think to housing as well. There's even been some discussion that the state itself might take action against the store owner for discrimination, especially since she was completely unrepentant and got even more insulting when the reporter from the paper that originally carried the story called.

I do agree with this. The unfortunate thing is, even if she loses a ton of business and becomes branded as an ignorant bigot (which has already happened) I doubt it will actually change her feelings on anything, just make her think that she's a victim of these "radical homosexuals demanding their rights." Apparently even before this incident came up, she had a pretty shitty reputation as well, so she sounds like a profoundly unhappy person.

11. Tim

Tim

Actually, there's a chance she could lose her BUSINESS over the discrimination. It really depends on how the BBB (Better Business Bureau) decides to take action, and how she decides to react to the state's prodding.

12. TheEdend

TheEdend Guest

The reaction that most people are having towards this really makes me smile :slight_smile:

Thanks for being an idiot, lady. Just helps us out in the long run :slight_smile:

13. RedState

Ahhh, I did not know this...I stand corrected.
    One of the few times I have made a mistake :slight_smile:

#13 RedState, Aug 23, 2011
    Last edited: Aug 23, 2011
  14. Random Dent

Random Dent Guest

I know where I won't be shopping for a wedding dress.

15. redstormrising

yes - it applies to both commerce (credit & business transactions) and housing. (as well as employment discrimination and public accommodation.) people may crack on NJ, but i am happy to be a jersey girl :slight_smile: i hope they do take action against the store owner.

16. Zontar

Her loss. You're willing to sacrifice money for ideology, be my guest. Even if I hated gays, I'd still never refuse their money.

17. Seriously. Especially in this situation. Why would you alienate the couples who might potentially buy TWO of your damn dresses? Makes no sense :lol:

18. Katelynn

You know, when you think about it, narrow-mindedness may just be one obstacle in rebuilding the US economy. If people realized that there's a whole market of gay & lesbian people willing to spend their money on people's services & cater to that part of society & even expand on those services, there might be a bit more money going into the economy & small businesses. No doubt some people in some places already have caught on to this, but I'm sure it could be expanded so much more. The other thing they could do is legalize marijuana, the gov't would make a killing off of taxes alone! Plus there's all the related paraphanelia, businesses could certainly benefit as well, plus it would lessen crime a bit. Sorry to go off topic there, he he...