1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Mikulski pressured to co-sponsor DOMA repeal

Discussion in 'Current Events, World News, & LGBT News' started by Dan82, Aug 24, 2011.

1. Dan82

http://www.washingtonblade.com/2011/08/24/mikulski-pressured-to-co-sponsor-doma-repeal/

2. maverick

(Sent)

Senator Mikulski,

I know that I am not one of your Maryland constituents, but I hope that you will still take the time to read what I have to say.

You may not know anyone personally who is gay or lesbian, but I'll tell you a little bit about me. I'm a published writer who graduated in the top quarter of my class. I'm an accomplished painter and a recognized poet. These are parts of who I am that most people know.

There are other parts of who I am that aren't so positive though. Sure I read a lot, because the library was one place that I could hide. And there were several times that I stood over a bridge trying to get up the nerve to jump, because throwing myself to my death was preferable to telling my family that I was gay.

While I was still in the closet in college, I was awarded a recommendation to the Air Force Academy, but ended up turning down the commission. There was no way I could compromise my integrity by pretending to be someone that I am not for the sake of a law which, for all intents and purposes, made me a second class citizen in my own country.

Now that Don't Ask, Don't Tell is being repealed, I intend to fulfill my original calling and serve my country. However, that is not the reason I am writing you.

At some point in the future, my parents would be really happy if I could settle down with that special someone and "put a ring on it". Me being gay has not dampened their hopes of this. However, I do not have any illusions that I will ever be able to do this in my own state of Alabama, for reasons I am sure I don't have to explain to you. This is despite the fact that I am part of a loving congregation (Unitarian Universalist) who would happily perform the ceremony if it was legal.

Unfortunately, many people in this country do not recognize my right to marry the person I love, along with all of the societal benefits and dignities that entails. I just want to reaffirm to you that even though I'm not straight, I am still worthy of the same fairy-tale romances (and happy endings) that any 26 year-old would want with their lover.

Please lend your support to the repeal of the Defense of Marriage Act. Not for me, but for those in Maryland who deserve marriage equality under the secular laws of this nation.

Thank you for your time,
    --------- (Maverick)