1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Project Loudmouth

Discussion in 'Current Events, World News, & LGBT News' started by maverick, Aug 24, 2011.

1. maverick

Okay, the premise is easy: If you see something related to LGBT rights that demands a response from the community, reply in this thread with a URL or background information on the situation.

If we learned anything from the September suicides last year and the surrounding media firestorm, it's that the general public doesn't care much about gay people, but they do care a little bit about gay young people, of which there are many here. So believe it or not, the hundreds of members at Empty Closets have the potential to be a formidable LGBT public relations influence. I've seen from my time at EC that there are some very articulate and sensitive people here who have a lot to say about what it's like being gay.

So it's letter-writing time. Or Youtube, if that's your thing. Or blogs. Whatever your personal mode of outreach happens to be, use that medium to push the message. If you've been bullied, reach out to your representatives and tell them your story. If you want to get married, tell them why. If you think you should be equal under the laws of your country, stand up and tell them so. Show them that we are human just like them. Make a nuisance of yourselves until they listen. Watch some Shawshank Redemption if you need a little inspiration on what I'm talking about.

I'll start it off. Once upon a time there was a young guy in Iowa named Marcellus Andrews. He was nineteen, and someone kicked his face in and killed him last week for being gay.

Iowa Teen's Death a "Wake-Up Call" | News | The Advocate

[​IMG]

Even though the attackers were calling him a faggot as they beat him to death, the incident is not being investigated as a hate crime.

Contact the Department of Justice: USDOJ: Contact the Department
    Email: [email protected]

Ask them why they are not using the Matthew Shepard Hate Crimes Act.

Post your letters and other media swag here. (If anyone needs editing before they send theirs off, hit me up with a PM.)

PS: If you are part of a GSA, get them involved. The stronger the response, the greater the chance that it will be taken seriously.

2. Revan

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    OMFG what the fuck

3. maverick

Hate crime in Pathfork, Kentucky.

Lesbian couple (and their children) attacked in Kentucky Fourth of July weekend:

From her police report (edited for grammar and spelling because I'm a Nazi) -

Across the street from were we were parked, a party was going on and there were approximately 50+ people drinking and shooting fireworks. The crowd kept shooting fireworks in our direction, until one exploded near us, injuring my two children, several other family members, and my 80 year-old grandma. I addressed the crowd and told them to stop firing [and] that they had hurt my children... They proceeded to yell profanities at me, including “We’ll set everyone of the little motherf**kers on fire!”

At this time my father walked toward the crowd, and in effort to stop him I went behind him; once I had got away from my car, I was attacked by a woman saying she was gonna kill me.

At this time my partner tried to stop her, and we were attacked by at least fifteen men. All yelling, “If you wanna look like a man, then fight like one!” We were also called lesbians, whores, “pu**y-licking whores” and dykes. No one else in our group was attacked but us. Then a gun was pulled and pointed at us and we were told “I’ll kill your dyke asses”…

When this couple went to court to testify against their attackers, THEY became the suspects:

Otis Doan the attorney for the accused stated: “Do you promote this kind of life? You are a lesbian and live in Harlan County? You still have custody of your children being a lesbian?” These event statements were made in open court.

Read more: Alleging hate crime, Harlan County lesbian couple seeks federal involvement | Public Safety | Kentucky.com

This family is appealing to the U.S. Department of Justice to redefine the crime committed against them as a hate crime. Help them.

Contact the Department of Justice: USDOJ: Contact the Department
    Email: [email protected]

4. Kamens

This is an excellent project. I could send Youtube PM's to Matt Lush, Wavey Davey, etc. to help them get the word out.