1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

"Primetime Nightline" does special on transgender teens!

Discussion in 'Current Events, World News, & LGBT News' started by Chip, Aug 29, 2011.

1. Chip

Board Member Admin Team Advisor Full Member

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Just got this press release. It looks like it's going to be a really positive story! This is great news!!

2. Revan

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    That's seriously amazing that Nightline's doing this.

3. BradThePug

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Some people
    Totally agree. Thanks for posting, I'm gonna watch this.

4. Haberdasher

They're interviewing Charles Kane? That irresponsible rich boy who got SRS on a whim after a divorce, because he wanted the "privleges women seemed to have", and has now decided it's everybody's fault but his own that he's been "robbed of his manhood"? That's not particularly encouraging...

Though, hopefully he won't get much focus. If I had a television I would watch it.

5. ilovedogs9

Gender Pronoun:
    Other
    Sexual Orientation:
    Other
    Out Status:
    Not out at all
    I saw this on the news the other day. I only heard about the 10 year old, though. I remember thinking, "I'll probably hear about this later on EC". It made me so happy to hear about this! :icon_bigg

6. Katelynn

It's great that Nightline is doing this! Sadly, the ignorant people that give transgender people a hard time will not watch this, so the cycle of fear, hatred & violence will just continue. Hopefully this does change a few people's minds tho...

7. phoenix42

little late, but this is actually up on hulu. just watched it. Did have a question though, do most mtf transexuals show such obvious signs that early on? I mean, I know i always felt the way they described but never really acted on it.

8. DhammaGamer

@phoenix
    I used to have these feelings when i was a kid but never spoke up about it and instead learned to hide and repress the way i felt. Some children are just quicker to accept themselves and with supportive parents it is easier for them to come out at an early age. I think that if i had known more about gid when i was younger and if my father had encouraged me to be myself instead of berate me for being girly, it would have been a lot easier to start this process then. I donr view it as lost time though. At my age i will be able to finance my own transition and maintain my imdependence without relying on my family who very well may disown me. Ive had a lot of important life experiences leading to where i am that i may have missed out on if i had transitoned 5-6 years ago.

9. phoenix42

@Dhamma,
    Thank you, it was concerning that most of the cases they showed were of people who knew from birth that they were different and did everything they could to act on it. I feel like i did do a little bit of dress up and some experimentation with feminine things but was scolded by my dad and encouraged to turn to sports.

I wonder how things would have been if i had been allowed to express myself how i wanted when i was younger....

The point you made about financing your own transition and not having to rely on your family is a very good one. It's just gotten to the point where i do not feel comfortable trying to hold onto the facade i've put on around family and friends. I have gotten increasingly depressed as time has gone on and i worry that i wont be able to make it through another 3-4 years sane. Need to find the right time to tell them and pray for them to accept it :frowning2:

10. Emberstone

Thanks. I am going to go watch is once I finish a little bit of cleaning, as I am doing a good scrub down of my bathroom at the moment.

11. Katelynn

I still think that it was great that they did this show, I just hope that more people get an understanding from it...

#11 Katelynn, Nov 27, 2011
    Last edited: Nov 27, 2011
  12. Veronica

Yeah, I'm about the same. When I was a kid I just did the things I enjoyed doing regardless of if it was gender-appropriate or not. I soon learned that much of it was not and adapted. I can't say I knew I wanted to be a girl, just was never comfortable being a guy. I did understand it in my teenage years though when I learned there were others like that.

13. trannydude

I sorta wish they had shown a ftm teen. And they especially should have had a post op person who didntregret it. But still a cool show, its still in my dvr. :grin: