1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Fox's Dr. Ablow: Chaz Bono's Participation On Dancing With The Stars Will Hurt Kids

Discussion in 'Current Events, World News, & LGBT News' started by Dan82, Sep 8, 2011.

1. Zontar

Re: Fox's Dr. Ablow: Chaz Bono's Participation On Dancing With The Stars Will Hurt Ki

Alan Colmes is a pretty cool guy. I've been listening to his radio program for five years or so.

Nevertheless, I think what "Dr." Keith Ablow is trying to say is that he doesn't particularly approve of gender transitioning to remedy GID...it's rather unfortunate that there's nothing, you know, better that he could suggest...

I thought very briefly that I was transgendered (long story), but look at that, guess I wasn't after all. If the kid's got transgenderism, s/he's gonna find out sooner or later. Why sit there and put it in their head that it's not true?

#2 Zontar, Sep 8, 2011
    Last edited: Sep 8, 2011
  2. Eric

Re: Fox's Dr. Ablow: Chaz Bono's Participation On Dancing With The Stars Will Hurt Ki

THINK OF THE CHILDREN! OH, WHY WON'T ANYONE THINK OF THE CHILDREN?
    That's such a wonderful argument, innit?

3. Kidd

Kidd Guest

I wonder if they were saying the same things when Kendra Wilkinson was on the show?

4. Revan

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Qh2sWSVRrmo[/youtube]

5. MyDecember

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    All but family

Implying that kids actually watch that show...about ballroom dancing. There are way better things on at that time on cartoon network.

6. Emberstone

They put bristol palin, who has a facist idiot for a mother, and couldnt keep her legs closed...

did ablow complain about the bad message being sent by bristol palin's participation when her only claim to fame is her mother throwing her under the bus for pity votes during the 2008 election because she was irresponcible and get knocked up.

did ablow complain about the situtation participating? he is only famous for steroid use, drunkenness, and public brawling... and stupidity.

7. maverick

All this talk about Chaz Bono is only making me feel like an ass for having never watched Dancing with the Stars. In all the articles I'm reading, people act like this show is some kind of cultural cornerstone or something...I've never even managed to catch it on TV in passing.

I'm kind of partial to America's Next Best Dance Crew. Real dancers instead of celebrities.

To be perfectly honest, I'm kind of worried for Chaz's health concerning all this. I read he was going to the gym three hours a day trying to lose weight for DWTS, but he's such a heavy guy, I'm afraid that all that hard exercise + press stress + testosterone shots = heart attack in the wings.

8. Echidna1

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay

<3

This is what I always think of when someone says "think of the children."

9. Revan

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
  10. Haberdasher

Both everything and nothing confuses kids. Everything because they're new to the world and everything requires an explanation. Nothing because once it is explained they tend to accept it. After all, they have nothing to contradict the explanation with; they're still learning.

Also, kudos to the rebuttal article for pointing out that you can't "catch" GID by seeing somone on television with it anymore than you can catch schizophrenia by the same. And that's even assuming you accept it as a mental illness (I don't).

How long has he been on T? If it's been at least a year they should have his dose right, his body should have had time to adjust, and they should have caught any problems that may have developed in the adjustment stage. Which would place him about as at risk for a heart attack as a cis guy in the same situation. Which isn't to say, of course, that he should take care of himself... cis guys are still more at risk for heart attacks than cis women and stress + heavy exercise can still strain the heart.

11. maverick

Yeah, my concern is that it's really heavy levels of cardio exercise for a guy that big. I know he's going for drastic change, but you have to be careful to avoid injury in the process, especially before your body is properly conditioned to handle the beating.

12. Haberdasher

Yeah, kind of a shame he feels the need to drop weight so drastically and so quickly. Hopefully he takes care of himself.

13. Emberstone

besides, it is safer to drop the weight slowly, mainly so your body can adjust, and your metabolisem can improve. in the end, it would be better for chaz for focus on putting on muscle than dropping fat, because the more muscle you have, the easier it is for one to lose fat because more muscle speeds up your metabolisem... which is why men loose weight easier than women because men naturually build muscle quicker because of a emphasis of testosterone as their main hormone over estrogen, which they have in far lower levels than females.

14. beckyg

beckyg Guest

Sexual Orientation:
    Straight

Any kid watching this is just going to see a somewhat large built MAN dancing with a WOMAN. No big deal....Dr. Ablow is just trying to stir up controversy for FOX news.

15. mnguy

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Some people

Exactly. Unless they are going to chronicle the change that Chaz went through, most people won't even know. So if parents are worried about confusing their kids, don't let them watch that episode. For good parents, it could be a teaching moment about transgender people so their kids grow up with some compassion for them instead of fear.

16. Emberstone

I agree. If no one had told me that was cher and sonny's daughter, I would not have known that chaz was transgendered. He really does look like your average guy. maybe it is because most of the transgendered people I know are male to female, and most look more masculine than feminane, but chaz's transition has been amazing. Most people who not even recognize a transgendered man on that dance floor unless they knew who chaz is.

Ablow is known for being a troll.

17. seeksanctuary

Except the asshat pretty much states that Chaz is a girl, a sad and lost little girl that could have become a happy big girl if only she'd asked for his help, bawww... He calls Chaz "she" over and over, and is a disgusting pig about the whole thing. If he'd have said "I wish people would be more careful about using surgery so soon after a GID diagnosis", that might be reasonable. But that's not what he said. He (in essence) said Chaz is delusional, made himself out to be some noble guy who's positively WOUNDED over poor poor Chaz... and implies that Chaz is going to make every masculine girl run out to the nearest back alley, stab themselves full of black-market steroids and hacksaw their breasts off.

This Iblow... excuse me, Ablow... needs to have his license revoked. Immediately.

18. Emberstone

apperently megyn kelly, one of fox news's persoanalitys (which is a word used lightly as most dont really have much personality, and are mouth peices of right wing fourth reichiesm) criticized Ablow on his stance here. She gained a little bit of my respect.

19. Kidd

Kidd Guest

I saw it, and it blew my mind. She's absolutely wicked, but that was a small step in the right direction...