1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Same-Sex Marriage Debate in Scotland

Discussion in 'Current Events, World News, & LGBT News' started by Lebowski45, Sep 13, 2011.

1. Lebowski45

I didn't see any thread for this so I thought I'd create one. There's a major debate going on in Scotland at the moment about same-sex marriage. Recently a survey was conducted which showed that 60% of Scots felt that same-sex couples should have the right to marry, as opposed to 19% who disagreed. The rest didn't know. The Scottish government appear to support this move, and are holding a public consultation on the subject. It is widely expected that they'll give the go ahead, however they stress that no religion will be forced into conducting such ceremonies if they don't want to.

BBC News - Scottish government launches gay marriage consultation

In the last few days however there's been a furious response from the Catholic Church

BBC News - Catholic Church in anti-gay marriage stance

Personally, as a gay Catholic, this saddens me although I'm not surprised. The language is particularly brutal, and I cannot accept that. I've been putting up with this homophobia for years but I don't think I can anymore, and I'm sure many other Catholics, gay and straight, feel the same. I won't be going back to church anymore, I am that sickened with it. Despite being assured that they will not be forced into conducting these ceremonies (EVERYONE involved, including gay groups, agrees that no religion should be forced into it, only churches and religions that want to) they seem deteremined to destroy the bill. (Their arrogance in assuming a monopoly on faith also annoys me). I doubt they'll succeed though, I have faith in the Scottish government and our people and I'm confident that this will pass into law in the next couple of years :slight_smile:

2. Sadepeura

Did I mention how happy I'm about this? THIS MAKES ME SO HAPPY (or should I say gay?)!

WillNeverMarry (hah, that's such an ironic nickname considering this thread :grin:), have you considered finding another church? There are many pro-gay churches out there.
    I'm seriously not the right person to say this, I go to a homophobic evangelical church... I just haven't got around finding another one. But the point is, you don't have to completely abandon Christianity. Maybe finding an accepting church would really be good for you?
    I'm not sure if there are accepting Catholic Churches though, I don't know much about them, there might be. How do you feel about protestants? :grin: I've never really understood why they are seen us so different anyway. It's the same God after all. I mean I know the basic differences. But I did actually go to a Catholic Bible study group with my Catholic friend for a while. I didn't tell them that I'm a protestant though, it didn't seem like a good idea. :grin:

3. Pseudojim

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    sounds like business as usual.

Good on you for recognising demagoguery when you see it, despite being a Catholic yourself. You can help to change your church for the better, you don't have to sit out the rest of your life.

4. Lebowski45

Ha, I forgot that was my username. I don't think I shall ever marry but I'd like to have the right to, and I certainly want my fellow homosexuals/bisexuals to be able to marry if they want to :grin:

Firstly, Protestants are awesome :slight_smile: I know there's always been this petty protestant/catholic thing going on in Scotland for years but I've always viewed that as really pathetic. I have Protestant friends, I have atheist friends etc. None of that bothers me, people can believe what they wish.

I can't see me going to any other church however, mainly because faith (or sometimes, lack of) has always been personal to me, and even though I've continued to go to Mass and such, its usually to provide time for me to reflect on my own thoughts about things, rather than participate in it. It doesn't really do much for me really, except maybe listening to the Gospel. In that sense I've not abandoned Christianity because I'm still influenced heavily by the teachings of Jesus (not the Church), but I don't see the point in being a part of a Church where I disagree with many of its views, but also has made me feel increasingly unwelcome. I feel more like I've been abandoned by the Church rather than anything else.

Also, I'm sure your Catholic friend would more than likely have been cool with you being Protestant. I've always found Catholics to be - on the whole - quite warm and tolerant, most Catholics I know disagree with the Church on a lot of things, and don't take things as seriously as the Church seems to :confused:

But yeah, back on topic, it is great news that it looks as if gay marriage will come to Scotland soon, I'm sure it'll happen in the rest of the UK soon as well. Slowly but surely equality is coming.

---------- Post added 13th Sep 2011 at 03:03 PM ----------

Thank you. I think thats the problem with the Catholic Church though, your average Catholic, or even priest, is powerless to change anything. The hierarchical structure (ie dictatorship) ensures that its difficult to change anything. It would take a radical Pope to come along to change anything I suspect. I wouldn't hold my breath :lol:

#4 Lebowski45, Sep 13, 2011
    Last edited: Sep 13, 2011
  5. Emberstone

My view is that catholics are not bad people... the power structure of the catholic church however is inherently corrupt because power structures are easy to corrupt. That is why I try to keep a seperation between my views of both groups, because a catholic, as you said, is powerless against the hierarchy, which is self-perpetuating in highly closed envirorment.

6. Elven

Sounds like some very nice news, I'd hope that if Scotland does legalize Same Sex Marriage that the rest of the UK will follow suit, either that or you'll have people going specifically to Scotland to get married. As for the Catholic response, a tad predictable. But as for saying that it would ruin Scottish culture, the people are the cuture, and they're pretty okay with it...

7. Sadepeura

Hmm, yeah I suppose that makes a lot of sense. And you can always go back if you begin to miss it. :slight_smile:

My friend was fine with it! I used to have these really awesome conversations with her about our faith. :slight_smile: I just didn't feel that there was a need for the whole Bible study group to know that I wasn't exactly Catholic.

It would be awesome to have a pope that would do all that!

#7 Sadepeura, Sep 13, 2011
    Last edited: Sep 13, 2011
  8. Pseudojim

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I guess it's a matter of time until the mass of disgruntled people finally outweighs the built up power structure. You'd have to hope so. Resignation to unchangeability is too depressing