1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Oregon GOP removes anti-gay language from party platform

Discussion in 'Current Events, World News, & LGBT News' started by Dan82, Sep 14, 2011.

1. Dan82

http://www.oregonlive.com/politics/index.ssf/2011/09/oregon_gop_removes_anti-gay_la.html

2. Emberstone

I am interested to see where this will go.

In the end, though, it probably will not matter much at all, because while the party may not have the wording in their party statement, I highly doubt the additude will disappear with it. 'Evolution' takes time, and we are still waiting for this same group to figure that one out as it is.

3. beckyg

beckyg Guest

Sexual Orientation:
    Straight
    This may be a sign the GOP is at least moving in the right direction. We'll take what we can get!

4. Emberstone

I dont think it will effect the electorate much. people who remain firmly anti-gay will probably not have a change of heart, and I suspect most republicans in oregon will keep their views regardless because just because they drop it from the party charter doesnt mean they are going to change their opinions on it.

Even though a 'oregon republican' doesnt mean the same thing as 'republican' means on say the federal level, I am going to take it with a grain of salt.

5. RedState

They actually have Republicans in Oregon?

Seems like just a bunch of hippies out there to me that smoke too much dope.

:slight_smile:

6. RaeofLite

"More center"? I'm sorry, that doesn't seem right in my opinion. They appeal to the conservative extremists on the right side.

7. Emberstone

There used to be republicans in texas, but then they choose reagen as their new jesus...

Oregon basically has two modes. There is the I-5 mode, which is where the major population centers are located, and where most of the citizens live, nestled between the cascades foothills, and the coast range. it tends to be more moderate/left of center. then you have everything to the east of the cascades in the high desert that tends to be more rural and agriculturally focused. It tends to lean towards right of center/right wing.

The hippies live in eugene, or so, thats what the joke tends to be. They are obsessed with ducks, which rhymes with 'sucks', which sums it all up nicely, go beavers...

The yuppies live in portland... not much to say other than they need to stop hireing the pot smokers from eugene to plan the traffic flow...

and downtown salem these days has a smug problem around 900 Court st. ne.

8. RedState

I like Oregon's uniforms tho...but in the end they are a bunch of wussies...no match for the mighty Southeastern Conference..best football conference in the land...don't care what anyone says...smacked their ass twice in a row.

Go SEC!

Roll Tide.

9. seeksanctuary

I love Oregon. I especially like Portland, though it has it's bad points like any other city. =] While this is far from ideal, it is some sort of step in the right direction; I doubt it's anything more than words, but who knows? Maybe the tide is slowly changing. I'm hopeful.

Now if we could just get gay marriage legal here...