1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Catholics warn of 'national conflict' over gay marriage

Discussion in 'Current Events, World News, & LGBT News' started by Dan82, Sep 24, 2011.

1. Dan82

http://www.usatoday.com/news/religion/story/2011-09-23/gay-marriage-bishop/50528104/1

2. Revan

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Ohhhhh lordy lordy God have mercy on our souls! Oh wait, he already has. He just is probably getting sick of people using his name to condemn all his children. If there's a battle, I know who will win, the people, not the damn church because frankly they're on a slow, losing slope :slight_smile:

3. Zontar

Catholics actually have a sensible policy as far as the Bible goes. I've seen much worse from Evangelicals who like to pull beliefs out of their ass.

Henry VIII started the Church of England so he can have Catholicism with divorce. I can see something happening with gay rights, and very soon. Theologians call this a "schism".

4. Shevanel

[YOUTUBE]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UhjG47gtMCo[/YOUTUBE]

=D

5. Pandur

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    I somewhat agree with him saying marriage is not a civil right. I believe marriage should stay in the church, and the government should have no part in it. I think it would make things much easier if the church had marriage and the government had something else.

6. Eric

There lies part of the problem, though. Heterosexual couples get married non-religiously all the time, and they aren't made to refer to it as a 'civil union'. Marriage is a religious institution, granted. But it's also become a public, secular institution, so it wouldn't be fair if hetero-atheist couples get to refer to their marriage as a marriage while same sex couples would have to call theirs a 'civil union'.

I have absolutely no idea if any of what I said made sense just now, by the way. It's 3:30 in the morning and I dunno why I'm still awake. xD

7. Fugs

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    The church trying to influence the government, why does that sound so familiar?

8. Pseudojim

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    That is unrealistic in the real world. Too many secular laws are written about and around the concept of marriage, it is unfeasible to separate marriage's common-law and religious sides.

---------- Post added 25th Sep 2011 at 11:27 PM ----------

Also the bishop in question is a belligerent moron.

9. mnguy

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Some people
    The national conflict is caused BY the Catholic and other church groups. If they'd stfu about this and spend the money they blow on pro-discrimination campaigns helping the poor and homeless, they'd be doing something really good. They just keep on this topic to keep the money rolling into their coffers. I wish people would wake up and see the truth finally.

10. Revan

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Except for the fact marriage has been around since before religion....

11. Hot Pink

12. Emberstone

marriage isnt a invention of the church, nor is it a church matter. churches have liturgy, but the concept of marriage predates the church itself, and in some cases, it predates the very existance of the religion itself.

marriage is a legal institution of goverment, and it has been this way for a very long time.

marriage also already has been declared a fundemental right of the citizens by the supreme court... it just takes time to get movement on marriage rights.

also, giving marriage to the church is unconstitutional, because goverment cannot endorse religion, and making marriage a religious institution would infringe upon the rights of non-religious citizens.

religion is not a requirement of marriage in this country, and it needs to stay that way.

you have the choice to involve the church in your marriage, not the other way around. the church has no right to choose who is allowed to marry in society... only who they let marry on their property.

the church needs to stay out of the rights of others.

marriage is a civil right... it always has been, and it always will be. technically, it is wrong for the goverment to interfeer with the ability of consenting *adults* to marry, which is why we need to overturn unconsitutional marriage bans.

the more pressing matter is when will the papacy and the college of bishops take a hard line against abuses of powers by priest, such as trying to force our goverment to conform to a narrow minded viewpoint against the law of the constitution that dictates religion be seperate from goverment, and the abuse of children that remains ongoing in the church.

gay marriage will not destroy society... but abuse of religious authority (which is a self-granted title, and therefore, in matters of law, is meaningles) already is destroying society. it is demeaning and devaluing the rights of others.

13. maverick

People will simply abandon backwards churches and adopt new churches which are more aligned with modern societal values, such as the Universalist Unitarians and the Episcopalians.

This is their time to shine.