1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Farmers Market discriminates against transgendered individuals

Discussion in 'Current Events, World News, & LGBT News' started by stageone, Sep 24, 2011.

1. stageone

2. Zontar

I'm gay. I go to the men's room routinely.

And who can resist getting horny in a room that smells like shit and piss??

3. TheRoof

I hope you're being sarcastic.

4. Zontar

Of course I am.

You missed my point. =p

5. Revan

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Heh sad enough...this is in my city.....

6. TheRoof

Yea...i thought you were, but i wasn't quite sure lol

7. mnguy

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Some people
    Yep, it's just an excuse to hate on trans people. They seem to think if a trans person can use the correct bathroom for their gender then it opens the door to men assaulting women in there. Don't they realize a guy can go into a woman's bathroom and attempt to rape or rob or whatever to a woman anytime? Again, it's just an excuse to hate on T folks and is crap.

8. Haberdasher

No, don't you understand, the "woman symbol" on the door is like a mystical rune that keeps men out! Clearly trans women are trying to bypass it with their creepy trans voodoo. : P

9. maverick

If bathrooms were standardly unisex this would not be a problem. But as said, the bathroom thing is just a convenient excuse.

That being said, it's a bigger issue than you'd think. I just went to a fitness program on Saturday where I was ushered aside to change before the class, and I saw the moment of split-second panic that crossed the woman's face when she couldn't figure out which bathroom to direct me to. She just pointed me in the direction of both of them and watched to see which one I used. :lol:

#9 maverick, Sep 26, 2011
    Last edited: Sep 26, 2011
  10. Katelynn

This happened an hour away from where I live, so I heard aboout this pretty much the day after it happened. And I will tell you now, it was amazing how fast the LGBT commuity here moblized against this. There has already been a complaint filed with the Human Rights Tribunal over thiis. More awesome was that the vendor who employed the 3 trans individuals discriminated against, she pulled her booth from Trail's End Market & stood up for her friends rather than continue to do business there. I also believe a boycott has already started & I believe that when the LGBT community went out in force with picket signs this past weekend, they were getting a lot of support from passing motorists honking their horns too. I pretty much signed the petition that went up like the day it was online, so the PFLAG London chapter has been all over this from like minute one that this happened almost. It's something I've been getting regular updates on from PFLAG on FB ever since it happened, & it's been nice to see how fast things happened in response to such a discriminatory act. I think the Market has already started to lose business over this fiasco as well! It is really nice to see the people of London taking the side of the individuals discrimated against & the vendor's side as well! She didn't have to do the right thing, but she did anyway, which is so awesome!

Here's the conversation the vendor & the manager of Trail's End Market had, courtesy of PFLAG

On Saturday September 10, business was as usual at the True 2 You booth at Trails End. They were selling incents and candles and other wonderful things and business was steady with 3 trans people working the booth. Later that evening everything went sour as Karen (VCM) the owner received a phone call from the manager of Trails End VD:

KCM: Good Evening, True 2 You.

VD: Hey Karen, is that you?

KCM: Hi Vic, it’s me.

VD: I’m so glad I found your number. I’m sure you know why I’m calling.

KCM: No.

VD: It’s about those folks you had work your booth in the afternoon.

KCM: Was there a problem?

VD: Well Ed, (the owner of the premises), told me to call you he wants you to know that if you plan to have those folks work at your booth here again, he would rather not have you here and is inviting you to take your business some place else. You’d be better off at Gibraltar or some other place if you’re going to have those people working for you. He said he doesn’t need your money that much.

KCM: Why, did they do something wrong?

VD: It made everybody uncomfortable and it caused a scene.

KCM: A scene, what did they do that was wrong?

VD: Well, they lit up some incense and one of the other vendors complained that it stank up the place and I went over and talked to this guy who was dressed up as a girl and had a man’s voice… and that’s just not right.

KCM: Well, those are Dani’s friends. Dani, the blond one is who was working for me – did you have a problem with the blond?

VD: All three of them were dressed like women and they were men. What are they gay? Cross-dressers or what do you call it Tranny’s?

KCM: I don’t know them very well. Dani, the blond, was working for me. Did you have a problem with Dani?

VD: All three of them were dressed up like girls and had the deep voices, big hands and tattoos. Everybody was complaining and it made everybody uncomfortable.

KCM: How, Vic? What was everybody saying?

VD: It’s just not right. You know, we’re a family place here and we don’t want people like that…

KCM: Vic, I need to know what they were doing that was wrong and I can talk to Dani about it.

VD: No, Karen. We don’t want them back here again. It’s a family place not a freak show. If you’re going to have them back, you can take your business somewhere else.

KCM: Even the blond, really?

VD: Yeah, the blond is one too – what do you call them? Crosses?

KCM: You know Vic, I never really asked. Dani’s been working for me all summer and makes the most sales over any one who’s helped me and no one has said anything to me all summer long. I had no idea there would be a problem.

VD: Well, everybody was uncomfortable and we are a family place, you know. This is a family place and that’s just not right.

KCM: I don’t get why there was such a problem. What were people actually saying Vic?

VD: Ed walked by and he was not happy. That’s so not what we are about…

KCM: Well Vic, I just need the help on account of my back and it’s hard for me to spend the whole day and Dani offered to help.

VD: Kare, you’re going to have to work it yourself or find someone else. Or, you can move your business to Gibraltar, I’m sure they won’t mind there.

KCM: Okay, I didn’t realize there was going to be such a problem since there hasn’t been all summer long. I’d really like to know what was said.

VD: We’re a family place you know, it just isn’t right and everybody was uncomfortable. It just is not right.

KCM: Well you know me Vic, I’m just trying to survive and it’s been a lot harder since my back’s gone bad. I’m grateful for the help whenever it is offered. Do you think this is hurting my business?

VD: It makes people really uncomfortable and you’re better off not having them feel that way around your booth. It’s just not right.

KCM: Oh, I never really thought of it that way and I wouldn’t want our customers to be uncomfortable.

VD: So, it’s not going to happen again?

KCM: I wouldn’t want my customers to be uncomfortable. Vic, I never looked at it that way before.

VD: So, I can tell Ed the problem is solved?

Trails End placed Karen in the position of violating her morality and the Human Rights Code to keep her business which has been operating over 3 years there and is the primary support for her and her daughter.

Karen is not a member of the LGBT community, but is a her support has now financially put her family at risk. We cannot let this go. Karen removed her booth from the market.

Calling for everyone to boycott Trails End Market and do anything to make this known and support Karen and True 2 You London.

#10 Katelynn, Sep 26, 2011
    Last edited: Sep 26, 2011
  11. sokk

Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Call me stupid, but doesn't Canada have a non-discriminatory law in place for LGBT people? Isn't what they did to the trans people illegal? Shouldn't those who did this to them get punished for what they did? What's the point with a non-discriminatory law based on sexuality, religion etc.. if you can't use it?