1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Jamey's Bullies to be charged with hate crime

Discussion in 'Current Events, World News, & LGBT News' started by malachite, Sep 29, 2011.

1. malachite

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
  2. BradThePug

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Some people
    It's sad that he had to die before anything was done about the problem.

3. Zontar

I'll bet their faces were beet-red when the cops showed up.

4. Kidd

Kidd Guest

I'm so relieved. I literally felt like I was going to be sick when I heard that they were chanting...

5. maverick

Good. These kids need to go to jail.

6. malachite

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    whats upsetting is it wasn't his death that was the final straw it was the chantting after the fact. Had they not done that they wouldn't have been charged

7. Rissyroo

Rissyroo Guest

Oh gosh... I loved Jamey so much. I was always on his Youtube channel, watching his videos... I didn't know he killed himself though until today. Some people at school were talking about this story - But I had no idea it was him until somebody showed me what was up. :'c I cried. A lot.

8. MusicMan12

When you start to chant "We're glad you're dead", that's when you cross the line from just being mean to being absolutely cruel. These kids NEED jail.

9. seeksanctuary

If I wrote the laws, those brats would be in prison for murder. They might not have pulled the metaphorical trigger, but they sure as hell put the gun in his hand. :/ I just wish the law would have busted them BEFORE the poor kid killed himself.

At least it's some sort of justice... assuming they even get convicted.

10. Emberstone

the problem was that jamey began to internalize it, and not even tell his parents and teachers he was being bullied... teachers need to be more empowered to report these incidents. and schools need to be held accountable for ignoring reports of such incidents. the sucides we saw in that school district in michigan, the school never took seriously any incident of bullying that involved LGBT students as victims, or the fundie christian students as the perpetrators. its weird, the main source of bullying in school tends to be the fundie christians at the schools where my mom and brother each work at, and there are teachers who came from places in the south and said that they were told off for punishing the christian kids, and were shocked and then pleased to see that oregon schools tended to have zero tolerence policies, and most seemed to fulfil them.

there are places in this country that if a christian student beats up a jewish student for being jewish, or a gay student for being gay, the adminsitrators will do nothing because the christian lawyers groups threaten to sue the school, claiming that they are infringing on first ammendment rights.