1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

GLAAD survey: Gay characters fewer on TV, but more visible

Discussion in 'Current Events, World News, & LGBT News' started by Dan82, Sep 29, 2011.

1. Dan82

http://articles.chicagotribune.com/...0928_1_glaad-survey-gay-characters-prime-time

2. Revan

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I personally think it's better. I mean in the past you'd have plenty of gay characters on the tv, but they'd be like the flamboyantly fem extra character, or a one-episode guest star. Yes I know there was Will & Grace, and Queer as Folk, but those characters were also more flamboyant, slightly stereotypical, etc. Nowadays, while yes Kurt and the guys on Modern Family are kinda that way too, they have bigger storylines and show us as human beings. Queer as Folk wasn't on Primetime TV, and Will & Grace, while a hit, I felt wasn't about necessarily a man and a man or woman and woman trying to really meet someone important. Sure Will was trying to but when did he finally get a real relationship (with Vince)? Season 6. When did Kurt get a real relationship? Season 2. And of course the already married couple on MF. So I just feel while there are less gay characters on primetime tv, the ones that are there are a HELL of a lot more promising and noticeable for everyone.

3. PerfectInsanity

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    While not on primetime TV, shows like "Six Feet Under" and "True Blood" have had very strong central gay characters that definitely helped in breaking the stereotypes. Personally I think the shows on premium channels (e.g. HBO, Showtime) are way better than primetime since they don't have to censor anything and they can portray characters and storylines realistically. They don't have to worry about stepping on anyone's toes or "thinking about the children". As far as cable TV goes, I think "Buffy the Vampire Slayer" was the first time I saw a realistically portrayed gay couple. At least things are starting to turn around now and gays are gradually getting more acceptance.