1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Gingrich: Same-sex marriage is a ‘temporary aberration’

Discussion in 'Current Events, World News, & LGBT News' started by Dan82, Sep 30, 2011.

1. Dan82

http://caucuses.desmoinesregister.c...-same-sex-marriage-is-a-temporary-aberration/

2. RedState

Good Lord...do they even have gay people in iowa? I thought all they had was corn...and potatoes...oh that's Idaho...I get the two confused.

I like Newt...you may disagree with him but he is a smart guy....if he stood a chance at winning the General election I would vote for him...but, alas, his time has passed...sigh.

As far as the same-sex marriage thing goes..."I believe marriage is between a man and a woman" he says...well...after being hitched 3 times he appears to really want to show people he knows what he's talking about :slight_smile:

#2 RedState, Sep 30, 2011
    Last edited: Sep 30, 2011
  3. Kidd

Kidd Guest

His campaign is dead in the water, and it takes some real chutzpah for him to bash marriage equality when he served his second wife divorce papers as she was dying from cancer. He's a sleaze. His marriageS might be temporary, but it's arrogant and stupid to say that mine or anybody else's will be.

He isn't even being historically accurate anyway since many ancient civilizations had same-sex marriages. Emperor Nero and Emperor Hadrian of the Roman empire come to my mind immediately and I'm sure there's plenty of others, and the first same-sex marriage in 'modern' times happened nearly 1,000 years ago in Spain, so...

..get it right Newt, baby.

4. RedState

I don't know if I'd use Nero as an example for us gay folks in the future...I don't think he and that Caligula fellow left a real good impression.

5. Kidd

Kidd Guest

I'd agree, but likable or not, it's the truth. Emperor Nero married a male slave. Emperor Hadrian is one of the "Five Great Emperors" who ruled successively as part of a dynasty, and created one of the most prosperous times in Roman history. He had a famous gay lover named Antinous that was deified after he drowned in the Nile. Antinous' face is the only non-imperial face to ever appear on Roman coinage, and it's also the most sculpted face in the world. The Roman empire freely sanctioned and approved of same-sex marriages until Christian emperors rose to power.

I'm just disgusted that people like Newt are in any sort of position to lecture to us about morality and marriage when he obviously doesn't know the first thing about it. It's a common theme among those who oppose marriage equality, i.e. the fright wing.

6. RedState

Yes...maybe we should get Bill Clinton to discuss this issue with us.

And..eh...I still say it's a bad example...I mean, Hitler threw the greatest political rallies in modern history..and dayum the SS had beautiful uniforms...yet...you really don't see anymore bringing that up as a historical example that we need to follow...just saying. Have a good evening.

#6 RedState, Sep 30, 2011
    Last edited: Sep 30, 2011
  7. Kidd

Kidd Guest

Hillary stayed with him, and he stayed with her, so they must be doing something right. I'd say that Newt could learn a thing or two. Did you know that he's the only speaker of the house to ever be sanctioned for an ethics violation?

Bill isn't running though, so I don't see how that's relevant at all? This isn't about left vs. right, it's about accuracy and the truth. Newt is a liar or completely ignorant, neither of which really qualifies him to be president in my opinion.

EDIT: You too. Have a good one.. ^_^

8. RedState

Yes...out of the 75 violations that the loon Bonior filed against him 74 were found to be completely baseless. Do you have any idea what the one that stuck was? Using money from a non-profit to teach a class that was deemed "partisan"...even though the outside investigative committee found no record of the term "democrat" or "republican" used in a partisan manner at all.
    Strange huh?
    And he also got some grief for accepting a book advance while he was still in Congress.
    Any thing else you need to know?