1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Hell's Kitchen Gay Bar Might Close During School Hours

Discussion in 'Current Events, World News, & LGBT News' started by Dan82, Sep 30, 2011.

1. Dan82

http://www.dnainfo.com/20110930/che...tchen-gay-bar-might-close-during-school-hours

2. Katelynn

OK, I can understand parents & educators wanting to protect children from bad influences, but WTF is this homophobic crap? I think this plays right into the hands of the right-wing, idiotic stereotypes that gay people prey on minors. Seriously, do people really think that an elementary school kid is going to wander into a gay bar & not be noticed? Or maybe the concern is that one of 'those people' will be thinking something wrong if a public school is open nearby. While I respect the propietors of the bar for being willing to work with the community, I also think that giving in to narrow-minded or uncomfortable people & changing how they want to legally run their business just makes the problem a bit worse, as all it does is show that if the hetero majority pushes enough, they can get LGBT people to back down from having normal lives or making a regular living. If this bar were to be frequented by a predominantly African-American clientele, would this conversation have ever even happened? No, becuase it would be racist & unconstitutional. I think the same thing is happening here, but because it's a gay bar, no one finds anything wrong with doing this. I hope someone involved in theis speaks up & says that this stupid & that they plan to run their business just as any other business owner would...

3. Zontar

I think the central issue here was running any kind of bar during school hours, so close to the building.

Which is also ridiculous...the reduction of the entire world to child-friendly presentation continues.

4. maverick

^ I agree with this.

Like most kids haven't heard of bars by primary school anyway? NYC kids? Puh-leese.

And what is the point of keeping the bar closed until school is out? I would think keeping the bar open during school hours - when kids should technically be under the supervision of their educators - would be better than opening it just in time for them to stop by for an appletini on their after-school walk home. :lol:

Because unlike straight bars, gay bars TOTALLY cater to small children in an attempt to lure them into the lifestyle.

/sarc

5. Beertruck

Guys, if you look at where this bar is, it is literally across the street from this school... and they're asking them to open at 4pm. That sounds entirely reasonable to me - they don't want the day drunks to be stumbling along in front of the school.

Besides, this is Boxers. It's a gay sports bar. What kind of games are on at like 1 in the afternoon anyway? The World Cup?

6. Eric

I agree with this. Basically, it's about a bar across the street from a school. I don't think it has anything to do with it being a gay bar. If anything, opening at 4:00 would save the owners money on staff wages. I doubt many people go to bars before 4:00.

7. Revan

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Hmmm the homophobic crap is bs, but I agree a bar shouldn't be open during school hours, especially by an elementary school. I think a straight bar would hopefully be treated the same way.

8. maverick

Okay, but what is going to stop random crackheads from walking by the school during school hours? I don't know why people assume just because there's a bar across the street that it's going to be easier for them to get alcohol or something. Most of them, if they are experimenting with alcohol, probably get it at home.

I mean, how many people do you know that sit around and get drunk at 1 PM anyway? I doubt they'd get much business.

To me it just makes more sense to open at 4 PM, because that's right before quitting time.

9. Beertruck

Well, yeah. That's what the plan is, have it open at 4pm. I'm not sure what you're arguing? As for the crackhead thing, I'm sure it happens, it's the city. But the types that WILL come into a bar at 1 in the afternoon on a weekday are not going to be the most savory of folk. So having the bar open later is a chance to prevent that.

Keep in mind that in any other city in the country, the bar would not even be allowed within several blocks of the school due to school zone laws.

10. maverick

That I think it's unreasonable that the city board expects the bar to open later, but at the same time, I can only see why it would be practical for the bar to do so anyway.