1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Obama: Commander in chief must support gay troops

Discussion in 'Current Events, World News, & LGBT News' started by Mr.Pushover, Oct 2, 2011.

1. Mr.Pushover

This makes me so happy.

Read the rest here:
    Obama: Commander in chief must support gay troops - Yahoo! News

2. ANightDude

And he's absolutely right.

3. Kidd

Kidd Guest

I'm glad he said this because what happened was just completely disrespectful, I just couldn't believe it. The only people that boo gay soldiers are republicans and the Westboro Baptist "Church," apparently.

I think it's also important to recognize that standing up for gay rights has now officially become the popular choice for candidates to adopt, and this is the first time a sitting president has come out so strongly in defense of us. He isn't doing it and then trying to sweep it under the rug but he's actually touting it.

4. Emberstone

we havent actually got a single 'leader' from the republican primaries. perry takes credit for things that were put into motion before he took office, and he and the rest are 'buzzword politicions', who uses right wing code speak, but technically dont have much substance behind them.

5. Raeil

*sigh* I really need to remember NOT to read Yahoo! user comments on anything, ever... at all.

It has to be the largest collection of backwards, fundamentalist, conspiracy theorist, irrational, and anti-equality individuals in the public sphere of the internet. (Note: Other than perhaps the Fox News website... and I don't mean that as a Republican jab, not all R's are idiots, much like not all Dem's are idiots.)

6. Emberstone

yah... it is rare to get a good yahoo new post. They are like unicorns:

"It's easier to change your beliefs to justify your faults than it is to fix your faults to justify your beliefs." Poster on yahoo news article.

7. tiredofsleep

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Obama makes a good point, wtf repubs? I cant believe someone so cold and thoughtless might be on the ballot. I will never vote for any one of these lieing puppets, ever. Although i think obama is kind of out to get our votes too and although he is a convincing speaker, you can never be sure if he really believes in or means anything he says, like anyone else. Anyway, enough politics for the month for me, yuck.

8. Emberstone

the GOP canidates basically as a group handed Obama a 'Bunker Buster Missle' with which to throw back at them, showing their moral and intellectual impotence. it is hardly a secret that the GOP establishments support for the troops is nothing more than a political veneer. When push comes to shove, if they dont see it as politicallly expediant, the GOP will abandon the troops needs in a blink of an eye.

They handed obama an easy strike, and to moral, intelligent americans, it is potent.

you expect that even grandstanding politicions like the republican canidates this election cycle would be smart enough to stand up on the spot and point out the issue. it may have dented their cred with certain factions of the republican party, but it would have done something we havent seen for republicans this election cycle: reached out to the all important independents and moderates, who tend to lean LGBT friendly.

politics is, sadly, a game of pandering to the important voters... republicans have not done that, prefering instead to pandering to the unimportant, already made up their minds to only ever vote republican voters. the people who are firm and unyeilding in the party they vote for are the people who you should not be wooing, because they do not decide elections.

9. Raeil

The only problem, Ember, is that they are pandering, at the moment, to the ones they need to woo in order to win the primary. Since primaries have a lower voter turnout than general elections, and since those that do show up are generally the core of the party, each candidate has to convince the core that THEY (and not the other Repub candidate) are the one who should be the one to receive the nomination/presidency. Whether or not they can win the general election doesn't horribly matter yet (to the people choosing them), as it's all about the core.

10. RedState

Well...at least the President has an "issue"--if you really want to call it that--to put in his quiver...because, God knows, he can't run on his record at this point.

Look, should they have said something? Yeah, probably looking back...but all these things are so fast paced..who knows.

But just to point out, by reading some of your comments and reports in the media you would think the entire crowd was booing, hissing and ready with pitchforks...but this was..at the most...5-10 idiots in a crowd of close to 5,000. We're these people booing the soldier? Perhaps. Were they booing the fact that it was a loaded question? Maybe. Were they booing the issue of DADT? Possibly.
    Such was the case when there were boos in the audience after Rep. Bachmann was asked a question about the statement of one of her beliefs at one of the earlier debates...was Bachmann getting booed? or was it Chris Wallace getting booed? or was it the belief of "submission" getting booed?

Those two circumstances are up to individual interpretation.

11. Keelin

The first good thing he's bloody said in office

12. Emberstone

5-10 people are incapable without being mic'd to be heard in a large space with 5,000 people. it was not 5-10 people, that is only a tiny fraction of what can be heard.

5-10 people booing in a crowd of 5000 is the equivilant of dropping a pin during a rock concert. You are entitled to being incorrect, as it has been pointed out before, because those auditorium spaces are designed to channel the noise from the stage to the crowd, and to inpeed the sound of the crowd from effecting the stage that, sure, in a smaller space with a crowd of say 500, you would hear 5-10 people.

but unless those 5-10 people are capable of producing at minimum 5 different vocal patterns, each on their own simultanious, without the ther four other patterns getting in the way...

also, americans still blame republicans more for our national debt, and ironicly, reagen get more blame than obama and clinton combined. when you draw up whos policies are responcible, republicans out number democrats at such a extreme difference that clinton and obama could have easily doubled their impact, and still not come close.

obama also ranks higher than republicans in the polls on who american's trust more, and continues to beat his republican contenders in the polls.

he actually has a record more americans support than the republican party and the republican canidates themselves.

obama would have to blow up a preschool to preform worse than republicans at the rate things are going.

So enjoy fox news, and their kool aid.

13. RedState

First of all, you need to re-watch that clip.

Secondly, I would assume that you have not even spoken with people who were actually there...I personally work with 3 of them and know about 2 dozen more from 3 different states (including some in the media and one..gasp...democrat) and they all said the exact same thing....so, sorry pal, I'll take their word over yours...and I'll take my own ability to listen for myself over your bizarrely warped hatred of all things associated with the GOP.

In the words of Mitt Romney: "Nice try"

As far as the rest of your stats...I get feeds from Gallup, Rasmussen, etc every day...and a lot of them contradict almost every thing you said...an NBC/Wall Street Journal Poll 2 weeks ago had Romney as a 1 pt favorite over the incumbent. But it really doesn't matter at this point. A poll 3 weeks from now could have The President's approval rating at 60%...you never really know.

But polls are interesting things...sometimes they over sample Democrats...sometimes they over sample Republicans. Truth is, polls are rather meaningless this far from a General election.

As far as the kool aid...I would love some. But, it seems that you have already drank it all.

I will take some vodka if you have some.

#13 RedState, Oct 3, 2011
    Last edited: Oct 3, 2011
  14. NickT

I'm not going to get into this argument, I'm just gonna say you're not really one to talk. It seems like almost every time something liberal is mentioned, you harp on it. Just saying. :confused:

15. Emberstone

one extremely loud person, who no doubt was near the stage in the foreground with about 2 other voices. there are between 12-16 mid range people in the audio, and the background range sounded like it had conservative estimate, about 40 people, but high range about 60 people booing and applauding if you turned up the sound, and listened past the first excessively loud one, which was the instigator.

But regardless... RedState, no matter if it was 1 person, 10 people, or 90 people, the fact that your canidates refused to even aknowledge that GOP audience members were booing a soldier. Even more disgusting is that no one in the audience called out the people for being disrespectful to a service member. Then, there is the fact that all of the canidates are determidly anti-gay *and the pro-LGBT canidates like karger and colemen, and basically being shut out of the entire process*.

You have not found a reason to defend the blatent homophobia of the canidates, as they were more than happy to pretend everything was fine with audience members denegrating our troops who just happen to be gay.

them after the fact giving half-hearted, hearts not in it statements of "well, meybe I should have said something at the time" when they are being called out for their blatent disrespect of a active duty military officer does not negate the fact that you have yet to explain why it is a none issue.

I seem to remeber you once praising joe wilson for claiming obama was lieing about the health care plan no covering illegal immigrants, which ironicly, the law laid out already that it would not cover illegal immigrants, thereby vindicating obama when it was a republican who had not bothered to even skim the points of the plan that was being worked on.

Your deminishing of what took place at that debate is irrelevant, because the fact that it happened, and the canidates just smiled their way through it is irrefutable.

You say we cling to our politics... well all you are doing is clinging to your, even when people cheer and appaude the notion of americans dieing because republicans want to remove the protections that ensure that insurance companies cannot drop you just because you get sick; you paid for that insurance, you have a right to expect it is there for you when you need it!

They cheer americans dieing, and boo military service personal... and all through this, the canidates smile, never once showing any human decency or compassion, and proving their lack of tact, morals, or humanity.

It says alot about you that you defend such atrocious, anti-america, anti-freedom behavior.

American history will have alot of praise for obama, who stood up for the rights of americans to serve their nation with honor and dignity... that he stood up for the rights of the poor and the sick (funny, so did jesus, the man republicans both claim as their own, but then demonize his teachings)... That took an agressive and focused path towards dealing with terrorist (which his predecessor failed and was unwilling to do, prefering instead of the illusion of progress, but never the results.)... That created more jobs in his first year and a half than the whole eight years of bush/cheney... That inheirted a economic collapse that happened years before he took the white house, and had to deal with an anti-middle class, do nothing republican party that likes to cheer americans dieing, and boo soldiers who are fighting to keep this country safe and secure...

Just think of where he could have been if republicans cared enough about this country to work with a president who spent a remarkable ammount of time trying to bring them to the table. Obama has pandered to the republicans, bringing in alot of their ideas (individual mandate in healthcare is a creation of the republicans in 1993, and up until about 2008-2009, it was still their biggest demands for any health care reform... he kept the bush tax cuts, even though they are the leading cause of our current deificit, did nothing to stimulate job growth, or america's econamy, and actually send our econamy spirally downward by defunding it in the middle of two wars with no end game from the bush administration.)

Do you really think your average middle class american is going to be excited about a canidate who disrespects soldiers becuase they dont like their sexual orientation (useing, ironicly, the exact same rhetoric the same political brand used to fight racial intigration both of our military, and of our schools and communities, and the allowance of women to serve in the military in active combat)? Do you really think they are going to feel fuzzy warmth inside at canidates who celebrate the thought of americans dieing because the canidates want to remove protections that prevent insurance companies of dropping people, and basically running away with all the money they had been paying into their policies for when they got sick?

Do you think people are excited about the idea of the social security, medicare, and medicaid that they have been paying into their whole lives will be dropped, and replaced with a coupon that wont cover their medical cost? Maybe if republicans would stop skimming money out of the entitlement programs, like they did with the postal service office, we could get it under control... that doesnt mean we cannot stream line goverment, but to get rid of vital services just because you do not like when goverment serves and protects the citizen by working to help ensure their well-being after decades given to them working, paying their taxes, and helping to keep this country going.

Don't accuse people of clinging to their ideaology when you cant even criticize your own party for its outright racist, homophobic, sexist, transphobic, islamaphobic, periodic anti-semitisem, xenophobic, anti-worker rhetoric.

it may fund their coffers, but it does nothing more than serve as a cancerous tumor on america, demonizing our ideals, and denigrating the most vulnerable of our society, whose vulnerability is greatly increased by republican coorporate facisem, and republican anti-freedom bullshit.

16. tiredofsleep

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Lol... "niggerhead"

17. RedState

If you think that was 60 people, then you are smoking too much dope with the rest of the hippies in Oregon. Like I said, I'll take the word of people I know that were there (especially the poor democrat that was drug to it) over you...they have credibility in this realm...you, however, do not.

As far as Joe Wilson goes...sorry bud, you just can't get it right can you? This was over 2 months ago (gasp it was even covered by news media outlets other than Fox) that Joe Wilson was right...that illegals were going to to covered under the bill that Speaker Nancy Pelosi (D-Alcatraz) said Congress had to "pass so they could find out what's in it"

I never cheered the venue that Mr. Wilson (R-SC) chose to proclaim his thoughts...however I did cheer the fact that he was right.

And as far as defending what was said...I never did. Where in my post did I say "oh yes, they were right to do this?" I said, "Looking back they probably should have said something".

And, just for future reference, the USPS is not an entitlement program...I'm sure they would like to be, but they are not.

And for future reference, it was actually the Democrats that started moving "entitlement" trust fund balances to the active base-line of the general appropriations bill back in the 60's. This was done to increase base capital for borrowing authority.

Who said anything about dropping social security? There are 2 camps in Washington, the ones that understand changes need to be made by new enrollees...and the camp that wants to do nothing. If nothing is done with social security, the politicians won't have to worry about it..because it will collapse under it's own weight...even their out actuaries say that. The same with Medicaid. So you can put me in the camp that agrees that difficult political decisions need to be made in regards with these two programs...anyone with half a brain can understand that.

And you know...some of your ramblings say a lot about you. You're a great testament to leftist politics...especially when you wished John McCain would die of a "heart attack" or "stroke" because he disagreed with you on DADT. Very great example you set...as I said before, I hope you spout this to everyone...I mean EVERYONE you see....it will really help me out.

So, I might suggest getting off your moral high horse...because your baggage is becoming a little more than the animal can bear...and it's becoming a little more than your traveling companions can stomach.

Either you do that, or I would suggest you go peddle your rage-filled commentary to someone who doesn't know any better....I mean seriously, sometimes they have the notes of desperation of Hitler's last ramblings in the FurhrerBunker. Just a suggestion...simpy trying to help you out :slight_smile:

18. tiredofsleep

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    U amaze me red state, so loyal to a party that generally doesnt like u.... r u rich by any chance? My god, turn off the fox news already haha...

19. maverick

Regardless of how many people it was, 5 or 500, they should have been reprimanded for booing a member of the U.S. armed forces, regardless of his sexual orientation.

End of story.

The fact that not a single Republican candidate had the guts to do so - despite how "gung ho" they are about supporting our troops - says a lot.

20. RedState

Let me try and put it in a way us gays can understand: I am the Lady Gaga of Conservatives...I was born this way.

I'm a Conservative more than a Republican, so my loyalty lies with that...I've blasted Republicans as much as Democrats and actually defended (although rare) The President a time or two. There are simply more important issues to me than gay issues...not saying that it's bad that people are passionate about community issues, it's simply not a priority of mine. My family has been financially blessed, but that really has nothing to do with this.

...and I watch Bloomberg for the most part....but it's as easy jab I understand that, like "get a job" and "quit living off the government" is an easy jab from my perspective.

#20 RedState, Oct 4, 2011
    Last edited: Oct 4, 2011