1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Westboro Baptist Church uses iPhone to announce protest at Steve Jobs’s funeral

Discussion in 'Current Events, World News, & LGBT News' started by Dan82, Oct 6, 2011.

1. Dan82

http://www.washingtonpost.com/blogs...neral-protest/2011/10/06/gIQAJqBjPL_blog.html

2. blikeo

i honestly think the world would be a better place it that old preacher hadn't been born

3. maverick

The idiocy is staggering.

4. Veronica

Although I cannot say I care much for either Apple or Steve Jobs, I can certainly see the personal tragedy in his death and the circumstances around his treatment. Why anyone would be heartless enough to protest, regardless of the ridiculous irony of this particular case, is beyond me. These are just horrible people.

5. Chip

Board Member Admin Team Advisor Full Member

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    One has to realize... Westboro Baptist doesn't give a shit about anything except drumming up publicity for themselves. Rev. Phelps is probably clinically narcissistic, and they only choose very high-profile people to make protests at, because they realize that's where they'll get publicity.

And people are stupid enough to feed into their bigotry and publicity seeking, so it becomes a vicious cycle... they go somewhere where they *know* people will be outraged, people get outraged, it generates publicity, that reinforces their thoughtless and egocentric behavior, and the cycle repeats.

When people simply ignore them, don't stage counter-protests, and don't do anything that generates publicity, when people yawn when they put out a press release... that's when they will cease being effective.

6. RedState

^^^^This.

It seems the more attention people give these loons the more they like it.

If they want to have a protest, fine...that is within their right. The more people ignore them the better.

7. Mogget

I love Fred Phelps. He does more to advance the cause of gay rights than almost anyone else.

8. Messed Up

Messed Up Guest

I’m sorry but I LOL'd

9. starfish

Oh hell you know these guys are going to protest Fred Phelps own funeral. They're just attention whores.

10. Emberstone

i was under the impression that fred phelps had been legally dead for 6 years, and his morally bankrupt, and mentally distrubed family members take turn climbing into his skin to spew their hatred.

narcissiem and fundiementalist christanity are one in the same. we shouldnt expect any different from fred phelps.

11. Witchcraft

Witchcraft Guest

what hypocrites...(they're the ones that should be going to hell)

I have never heard of such (I dont know what to say) people! It's sad that there are people who can be so full of themselves!

12. Chip

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Just because it's relevant...

[YOUTUBE]Ra_fAYl4Th4[/YOUTUBE]​

13. RedState

Well....Michael Moore is a hypocrite who has made millions off the very system he decries. I value the shits that my 2 dogs take more than I do him...so I'm not so sure he's a shining example to use...but, I'm sure he's a good person that is simply advancing his beliefs in his own way I suppose.

However, in this case i suppose I will admit to being a hypocrite, and say it's an appropriate clip to run....don't tell anyone else I said that...I do have a reputation to maintain around here you know.

#13 RedState, Oct 8, 2011
    Last edited: Oct 8, 2011
  14. Chip

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I put the clip up because he found a humorous way to shut up Phelps. I realize he's a polarizing individual and I didn't intend to start a discussion on his politics or policies, only to give people a few laughs with the Sodomobile :slight_smile:

And... I'm sure your reputation is intact :slight_smile:

15. DarkClarity

Was the :***: is wrong with those people? Seriously? Where they all born with missing chromosomes?

16. Emberstone

That, and souls.

17. wingandaprayer

Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Out Status:
    A few people
    The head of the church is bitter and crazy, and the rest are just doing what they were raised--and brainwashed--to do.

Don't forget though, that if we're going to want tolerance for ourselves, we shouldn't be too eager to condemn others. It's even possible, after all, that one of the younger Phelps kids might be on this website, realizing they're homosexual and scared out of their minds.

For a fascinating and sad look into the mindset of the Phelps family, you might be interested in watching "The Most Hated Family in America," and "The Most Hated Family in America in Crisis." Whatever damage they've done to anyone else, they've done far worse to themselves.

18. Mogget

WBC has a theological perspective that is alien to most American Christians. They're Calvinists, which means they believe in double predestination: God has ordained from the beginning of time who will be saved and who will be damned. Neither our actions in this life nor our acceptance or rejection of Jesus Christ have any bearing on our fate in the next world; the sovereignty of God is absolute. This extent of Calvinism is not common in the US, but nor is it unknown. A number of significant churches and movements advance this.

WBC takes this one step further: God wants them to tell the reprobate (that's everyone who's going to Hell) that we are sinning and angering God. Not so that we'll repent and convert (we can only do that if it's God's will that we do so, and if it's God's will it won't matter whether or not they tell us about our sin), but so that we'll be without excuse for not repenting and converting (yes, even though we have no choice as to whether we do so).

It bears noting that Phelps' theology wrt gay people isn't much different from that of more mainstream homophobic churches. "Hate" to Phelps is "not an evil passion as it is with men, but it is a fixed determination to send unrepentant sinners to Hell." By this definition of hate, most homophobes would agree that God hates gay people.

Phelps also believes that the calamities of America are due to our acceptance (read: not actively rounding up and executing) of gay people. The belief in divine retribution is common in homophobic churches, and the only difference between them and Phelps is which disasters they attribute to God's punishment for homosexuality.

19. Chip

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Phelps is probably a closet faggot :slight_smile:

20. J Snow

I have mixed feelings about the WBC. Obviously I can't stand them. But I know all the stuff about, "if everyone ignored them they'd leave us alone," and "they really help the LGBT cause more then hurt it." Still, I really would love to counter protest them. No matter how illogical it is, I just can't hear the the things they say and do, and just ignore them. I feel like I'm letting them win by getting upset, but I just want to go scream at them.