1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Joel Osteen: I'm Still A Homophobe

Discussion in 'Current Events, World News, & LGBT News' started by Dan82, Oct 6, 2011.

1. Dan82

[YOUTUBE]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=91J546jirHA&feature=player_embedded[/YOUTUBE]

2. Zontar

who the hell is joel osteen

3. MyDecember

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    All but family
    the nicest, sweetest televangelist preacher you'll ever meet. He's adorable and sweet and you can't help but aww at his adorableness. It's ok if he doesn't agree with me no matter how ignorant he is.

4. Emberstone

I will admit, he is good looking, in an almost josh grobanish way.

I describe him as jerry falwell/pat robertson, but younger, easier on the eyes, and otherwise, basically the same: a man who uses fundiementalist chirstanity as a buisness strategy.

5. RedState

Doesn't he have like 60-70,000 people attend his sermon a week?
    Not sure of the exact number but I read somewhere that it was some ridiculous number of people.

6. Kidd

Kidd Guest

It's something like that. He's a televangelist and I think he might actually be the most successful one. I saw him on Larry King a few years ago and he was talking about how him and his wife were flying around the country on their private jet, you know, because that's what Jesus did, and he was talking about how great it was to meet so many "Christians." It's that sort of hypocrisy that just kills me. People are starving in a land of plenty, and he's jetting around the world at the cost of several thousand dollars per trip in fuel alone.

I would also agree with Emberstone that Joel Osteen is cute and sweet and stuff, but he's really not any different than Jerry Falwell or Pat Robertson or anyone else that has come before him.

7. Revan

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    He's....a tool that's all. I dunno sure he does seem nice, which is more than I can say compared to some others. But he still has faith in a book of bullshit. Sorry to those who believe in it but it's a fact.

8. RedState

http://youtu.be/kl0H1EUQ_38?t=20s

9. Zontar

By contemporary standards, calling the bible "bullshit" is rather extreme.

I still agree that living your life around it is rather silly though.

10. seeksanctuary

Aw, now let's not go calling things names. I dislike the Bible myself, but there's no need for that sort of thing here is there? He's using religion as an excuse for hatred, which is plenty of bullshit. Not everyone who believes in that stuff acts like this man.

... My fiance's family goes to see that guy. It scares us. He isn't out yet, and makes me think he won't be for quite some time. Sigh. :/ What a hypocritical fellow.

11. ANightDude

Okay, to be fair, he has never said he's a homophobe. Ever. He's had the position that he has gay friends, gay people attend his church and are welcome, he'll never bash them, etc.

Just because he doesn't agree with us doesn't mean he needs to be attacked. Geez.

12. seeksanctuary

Thing is, what is there to agree with? To me, it's like agreeing with someone being African, Asian, Irish...

13. Messed Up

Messed Up Guest

1) Revan, watch it. Some people here, in EC, are PROUDLY Christian. You have a right to express an opinion but when that opinion becomes insulting to a group of millions (millions who are in fact a part of this online community) you have gone too far. Think for a second Revan- what you just said/wrote was hateful, in the same strain that a bigot refers to our kind as "bullshit". So, in short, you just acted like those you are so against. Think before you speak.

2) I am a Christian. A PROUD Christian AND I’m part of the LGBTQ community. I always did like what Joel had to say. Then, I found out he doesn’t support the LGBTQ. I hurt, but perhaps that means, as a Christian, I am to be part of the NEW voice for LGBTQ Christians, where Osteen stopped short of.

We are the future.

I don’t mean an LGBTQ future, but a future of tolerance, acceptance, and understanding for ALL.

14. ANightDude

This.

The thing is is that Osteen doesn't hate gays at all. Last time he was on Piers Morgan in January he said (when being asked if it is a choice) he said "that's a good question, but to be honest I really don't think I understand it all".

He's incredibly responsible. He's never said a single negative thing towards homosexuals and, as he doesn't understand it, he doesn't talk about it. He knows that people constantly say shit that they know nothing about. He knows that he doesn't know much about the homosexuality, so as a response he doesn't spew out things about it.

Honestly, he's the only Christian that doesn't spew a bunch of bullshit.

15. Allecto

Joel Osteen is still homophobic. He's just more media-savvy than Fred Phelps or Pat Robertson. Here's an article about that interview you mentioned.

There are plenty of LGBTQ/pro-LGBTQ Christians. He is not one of them.

#15 Allecto, Oct 8, 2011
    Last edited: Oct 8, 2011
  16. mnguy

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Some people
    I don't like how Piers says that states are endorsing ssm. Including gay couples in marriage doesn't endorse their marriage anymore than the state endorses a couple composed of a felon and a mime if they get married. Just because something is lawful doesn't mean the state endorses it. The anti-gay people use this "endorsement" claim to scare people into opposing equality.

Joel's understanding of scripture is wrong. He's such a weasel I really dislike him. I thought I read that he doesn't even have training as a pastor. He won't answer questions on that show, he just weasles around them and talks all nicey nicey just like lots of hypocritical "christians." I'm not being anti-christian here just anti-hypocrite.

17. Messed Up

Messed Up Guest

"There are plenty of LGBTQ/pro-LGBTQ Christians. He is not one of them”.

^ The sad thing is we hear more of/from those who are not than those who are...

18. JudasKissedHIM

You're being paranoid. I watch Piers Morgan Tonight every night and he is NOT anti-gay. He's talked about the issue numerous times and every single time he has had a pro-gay stance.

I think he subtly phrases the gay-question to be more aligned with the view of the person being interviewed in order to make them more willing to talk and feel like they are not being attacked for their views.

E.g. he might use the "same-sex marriage endorsements" line when talking with conservatives and to liberals he would actually say "this witch hunt of the gays is really terrible, isn't it?"

And he’s mentioned how Americans give him shit on twitter saying they are not bigoted and how America is different than England and blah blah blah…

19. Revan

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Okay fine, I take it back. I suppose hatred and bigotry is the bullshit. I only see the Bible though as a tool bigoted people use to enforce their beliefs on others. Fact is though, it still was written by mortal men, not God, and most of it should not be taken in the literal sense...Doing so makes them look foolish, especially because of the picking and choosing of what to follow and what not to. I think that's the bullshit I meant when I said the Bible is bullshit....I apologize for insulting those who believe in it.

20. closetedafraid

Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Out Status:
    Not out at all
    Watching that just ruined my day. My Mom is obsessed with Joel Osteen. Whatever he says is right... Now she's really going to be homophobic. And now I actually believe I am a sinner.