1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Boy who killed gay classmate deserves leniency, jurors say

Discussion in 'Current Events, World News, & LGBT News' started by Dan82, Oct 6, 2011.

1. Dan82

http://latimesblogs.latimes.com/lan...y-classmate-deserves-leniency-jurors-say.html

2. maverick

A raw deal?

In an act of premeditation, this thug walked up to a fellow student from behind and blew his brains out.

It may sound harsh, but if it were my call, he'd get death for it.

3. MusicMan12

This was ridiculous. Some kid shoots someone in the back of the head in the middle of the afternoon, in the middle of classroom full of students (and the teacher). Did he really think the entire room of people just wouldn't care? This world sickens me sometimes. People need to just learn to find the best in each other, and not concentrate on that ONE THING that makes them different

4. s5m1

I actually have a tough time with this one. There is no question that this was an act of premeditated murder. Regardless of whether it was done because the victim was gay or some other reason, it was premeditated murder.

Where I think the jurors are hung up is whether a 14 years old boy should be locked up for the rest of his life because of the crime. As heinous as this was, the shooter was 14. He did not have the maturity or emotional control of an adult. I think he should be sent away for decades, but I am not convinced a life sentence is the right sentence.

When I was a prosecutor, I sent about a half dozen 16 year olds to prison for life for various murders. Each of these murderers were sociopaths, so cold and dangerous that I thought they should never be free again to prey on society. I don't know if the killer in this recent case is a true sociopath. If he is, then perhaps life is appropriate. I not, I am not convinced life in prison is the answer.

Either way, this is a tragic case. A child is dead and nothing we do will ever bring him back.

5. Revan

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    This is how I'm feeling pretty much...
    [youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iJ9wNT21c_s&feature=related[/youtube]

6. Hot Pink

The problem is that the jury does think the fact that Larry King was gay was a valid reason for this kid to stoop to murder. They were swayed be testimony that Larry King allegedly made sexual advances to the defendant, which is apparently not true but that doesn't matter when the jury is full of homophobes.

7. DarkClarity

Ditto.

How the hell could they even think about being leniant? :bang: If they actually do I fear it will send out a message saying "It's okay to hurt gays" to other people, I'm sorry but just because he's 14 that doesn't mean he should be treated any differently from any other murderer. I'm not trying to criticise the court system or anything but something stinks about this.