1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Gay Marriage "A Danger" To Scotland

Discussion in 'Current Events, World News, & LGBT News' started by Lebowski45, Oct 12, 2011.

1. Lebowski45

Gay marriage

As many will know the debate over same-sex marriage in Scotland rages on. The Catholic Church have continued their opposition to the proposal over the last few weeks, attempting to get Catholics to sign a petition (good luck with that one, most Catholics probably agree with gay marriage) and now former SNP leader Gordon Wilson has waded into the debate.

He's actually calling for a referendum, which is funny because it would most likely pass by a country mile. It does highlight however the different factions within the SNP: the modern, liberal side which is in control of the leadership of the party (thankfully) and the more conservative side which hasn't caught up with the rest of society. This could cause a problem for Salmond, which is why he hasn't condemned these remarks, but as long as he continues on his path, putting it to a vote in parliament, it should pass into law easily. All he has to do is let democracy do the talking. Who'd have thought gay marriage would prove to be the explosive issue of the day? Its not as if we haven't got a dire economy to sort out or anything.....

2. DarkClarity

To be honest, I'm not worried. Gay marriage will happen sooner or later. For most people it's not about the sexuality and gender of the couple but about love and commitment. Why is the catholic church against that? Even Cameron is supporting gay marriage for goodness sake.

3. RaeofLite

Gay marriage is the next Osama or Hurricane Katrina, that's how I think they likely view the whole thing.. Religious groups used to be racist as well. Speaking out about other races is now seen as socially negative (in some cases, not all). The logic some people have is amazingly.. stupid.

4. Rinamir Mortem

Well, I'm sure eventually gay marriage will be accepted across the board but perhaps in a few years, not decades though but this is really good. Hooray for progression (!)

If this does pass then I personally think this is going to be another blow to the Catholic church and either it will finally adapt to homosexuality in a positive manner or get swept under the rug of history. Either way, homosexuals win :eusa_danc