1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

This needs to stop

Discussion in 'Current Events, World News, & LGBT News' started by MusicMan12, Oct 17, 2011.

1. MusicMan12

2. It's not fair. These kids just want to live their lives and nobody lets them. Why?? What the fuck is wrong with our society?
    The last post on his tumblr brought tears to my eyes :icon_sad:

#2 Super Trouper, Oct 17, 2011
    Last edited by a moderator: Oct 17, 2011
  3. Gerry

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    This is just terrible. This really does need to stop. It's so heartbreaking hearing of these kids committing suicide from bullying or not being accepted. Our society as a whole for allowing this to continue and not becoming more accepting of differences. :frowning2: RIP Jamie.

4. Revan

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Saturday not Friday, but none the less...I can't believe we lost another promising young life...

5. Hot Pink

These young people need to know that there's hope. The problem is that society punishes people for being only slightly different and homosexuality is considered to be very different in the eyes of our society.

6. MusicMan12

What makes me most dissapointed in our society is that even when some supports the LGBT community (even if they themselves aren't LGBT), people start to talk down to them as well. Every day I dream of a day that our community will be treated as equals. I actually compose music and I'm actually writing a piece about this entire Gay Rights Movement, and how one day, everything will be OK. Hopefully, if it will be good enough to be performed one day :slight_smile:

7. Hot Pink

What I really fear is that this is going to get worse before it gets better.

8. Keelin

... Again.

I hate homophobes and all the immature ****** in my high school, but we only have 400 kids

9. Revan

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Yes but here's the problem, we've been trying to give hope as is the whole "Its Gets Better" but Jamie really is right...telling these kids that it will get better isn't enough anymore...if it was going to get better, then the kids wouldn't be killing themselves....I think something needs to really start getting done now. Harsher punishments for homophobia in school....zero tolerance...etc. Unfortunately it's easier said than done...

10. sokk

Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    RIP Jamie. We will never forget you.

I read a post saying we don't need a campaign telling victims of bullying that it gets better, because sometimes it really doesn't get any better, and even if it does get better, these kids are going through hell on a daily basis.. 3 or 4 years in high school may not seem like a lot, but it's a lifetime for those who go through bullying every single day. What we need is a campaign telling those who bully that their actions have consequences. We also need tougher punishments for those who bully. We need to teach bullies that we do not tolerate their actions, and we need to get a zero tolerance policy for bullying. So even if there's the slightest possibility of bullying, those who bully should change schools, or be expelled, NOT the victim.. and there shouldn't be a lot of questions asked, just expel the monsters sooner rather than later.

11. BradThePug

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Some people
    Something really needs to be done to address this problem. We are losing not only LGBT teens to this, we are losing many others as well. Bullying needs to be stopped. I know how it feels to not be safe at your own school, and it is a terrible feeling.

RIP Jamie.

12. Kerze

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    His Dad issued a statement saying that he was clinically depressed and bullying was a factor in his death, but not the only cause.

Either way, bullying needs to be stopped now. I also can't help feeling that if somebody had asked him how he was feeling every now and again instead of reblogging his suicidal messages on tumblr then this might have been avoided.

R.I.P

#12 Kerze, Oct 19, 2011
    Last edited: Oct 19, 2011
  13. Revan

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Either way, whether it was Jamie, Tyler, Asher, Ryan, Andrew, Corey, Billy, the list goes on. Whether they were deposed or not, whether they were gay or not, it needs to stop. Obama, the schools, etc, they need to get their acts together and stop this...

14. pronua

I get sad whenever reading those stories :frowning2:

15. Jim1454

Yes - this was a very sad story. Hopefully the work that is done here to provide a safe place for young people is helping. If only everyone knew about and benefited from EC.

16. malachite

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    This breaks my heart, and thats pretty hard to do, people who support hate towards homosexuals need to see what they are doing

17. Tiny Catastrophe

I'm always afraid that's going to be my girlfriend one day. Her family is extremely homophobic and calls her homophobic slurs all the time and tells her she's diseased. These stories really make me sick and so grateful that my family and friends are so accepting of me.

18. seeksanctuary

This. Exactly this.

Yes, we need to tell children (and adults!) that it gets better, but we (as a society) have to try and help give them a world that IS better! What are we all doing to make the world a better place? To actually help stop harassment and abuse? It can only get better if there is something better for them to step into, if that makes sense. These people need more support, easier access to mental help and law enforcement that gives a damn. Otherwise, "it gets better" IS just a bunch of pretty words.

Poor kid. :/ I wish I could have known him. I wish he could have had a place like this to turn to, with members that could support him and maybe find him helplines or something. Anything. It just sucks so much to lose ANOTHER person to anti-GLBT bullying.

19. Aelphaba1234

How can this continue to happen? Do people really not hear about it? Even with how cruel kids are, I can't imagine that many of them actually truely want people to die over this stuff, do they? With Jamey Rodemeyer, they continued to tease his sister at the dance and they said how glad they were that he was dead.

20. seeksanctuary

Yeah, I think some of them do. Some people are socio/psychopaths, and that can (and sometimes does) start at an early age; I wouldn't doubt that some bullies are mentally unstable to the point where they think it's funny when people kill themselves, and are happy to see people they dislike dead. It's scary, it's disgusting... but it's also humanity. It happens.

I just hope stronger anti-harassment measures come out of all this.