1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Controversial Therapy for Pre-Teen Transgender Patient Raises Questions[FOX NEWS]

Discussion in 'Current Events, World News, & LGBT News' started by Dan82, Oct 17, 2011.

1. Dan82

http://www.foxnews.com/us/2011/10/1...-young-transgender-patients-raises-questions/

2. djt820

3. Revan

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Fox News.....well not really surprised.

4. seeksanctuary

They're hormone blockers; it's not like they will permanently damage her. If the child finds that she isn't female after all, she can stop taking them and go along life as a boy, or whatever gender she finds herself to be.

So she'll be androgynous for a few years, at most... so what? It gives her a chance to be a happy young woman who has as close to a female puberty as she can get, rather than one that will probably make her dysphoric and depressed. Fox News would rather have these children be forced into bodies they dislike than let them be a bit happier with some rather tame medication. I can't take anything they say seriously.

5. Raeil

I've seen an article describing this situation before, and I have to say I'm rather impressed with the overall balancing of this particular article. I expected Fox News to have nothing but horrible things to say, and there were certainly plenty of those, but they were definitely attempting to keep from being overly against the simple treatment of blockers.

Nonetheless, I'm still appalled that FN's psychologist would suggest that the parents were LYING about their child's mental state. Also, considering that psychiatrists have already diagnosed GID, I find it extremely disturbing that they would allow a biased psychologist to be quoted. And another thing, the person they quoted as saying 11 was too young for a transgender operation was somewhat correct, but shouldn't have been quoted, as the child in question is NOT receiving an operation. S/he's merely taking a blocker for hormones which will delay the onset of puberty. They are (according to doctors) completely harmless, and stopping the blockers will make puberty begin.

Anyway, still a horribly out of balance article from "Fair and Balanced" Fox News, but less horrible than usual.

6. grimAuxiliatrix

I personally agree with seeksanctuary, There's a difference between hormone blockers and cyanide, people.