1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Does homosexuality exist in every human society?

Discussion in 'Current Events, World News, & LGBT News' started by Dan82, Oct 17, 2011.

1. Dan82

http://www.slate.com/articles/healt...ays_in_iran_isn_t_that_crazy_afte.single.html

2. Steve712

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Some people
    Sounds like defamation to me.

3. IsItSo

Out Status:
    A few people
    Yes, but the number of people comfortable enough to admit it varies from society to society.

4. malachite

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
  5. Katelynn

Yeppers, even exists in the animal kingdom too!

6. jenn288

Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Out Status:
    Not out at all
    Yes, i think it would have to just statistically speaking. Homosexuality applies to a certain percentage of the human population, so borders or defined societal boundaries wouldn't effect it. Unless you define society as just being a group of people who band together because they believe a certain thing, then you could (and do) have groups of people or "societies" against homosexuality and it would be unlikely that a gay person would join such a group, although even that isn't a for sure thing. So to answer the question, yes I don think homosexuality exists in all societies :slight_smile: and Yay for that!

7. Vesper

I wouldn't doubt it that it does, and that Ahmadinejad is denying the existence the LGBT population of Iran at his peril.

8. Rinamir Mortem

Sounds almost like the words before a revolution :grin:

I certainly believe that homosexuality exists in all societies just some choose not accept it/practice it because it is damaging to their society. For instance, a small tribe would need all males to be reproducing with females to produce young that will continue the tribe.

It's only when the danger of dying off that homosexuality begins to become more evident. Unless you have severely oppressive religions of course...

9. Emberstone

should we really take seriously a man who says the holocaust didnt happen, and what happened on 9/11 is not what actually happened?

10. Revan

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Homosexuality has existed for centuries....pretty much for millenia.

Ancient Greece had them
    Ancient Rome had them.
    Aztecs had them
    Mayans had them
    Renaissance had them (Da Vinci...HELLO?!)
    Founding of America had them
    Civil war had them
    World Wars had them
    70s had them
    90s had them.
    And now we have them....er....are them. :stuck_out_tongue_closed_eyes:

So yeah every human society has them both in the past and future.

You'd think they'd figure out that if homosexuality is wrong, why are we still here? And what's more....if it's the whole "it's not a part of nature, they're just choosing it" here's a really really reaaaaaally good question to ask:

Where the hell did we get the idea from? I mean seriously it's not as though homosexuality just poofed into our heads from somewhere. Even if some people "choose" it where did the idea of loving a person of the same gender come from in the first place? :stuck_out_tongue_closed_eyes:

11. starfish

We have no gay people in Russia — there are homosexuals but they are not allowed to be gay about it. The punishment is seven years locked in prison with other men and there is a three-year waiting list for that." --Yaknov Smirnoff.

12. Revan

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I don't know whether to cringe or laugh lol

13. Raeil

Very well written article, and I don't really find it surprising that there exists a society in which homosexual activity is unheard of. I'm of the opinion of one of the commenters that if the cultural pressure to reproduce in these small tribes were lifted, the individuals carrying the genetic components required for same-sex desire (if there are any in that small group) would begin to express that same-sex desire. Overall, though, a very interesting article and a very interesting question to ask.

14. seeksanctuary

I'm guessing that the reason for small (and I mean SMALL) tribes of people with no GLBT members might be because homosexuality could be a natural population-reducing measure. If there is a tiny population, maybe those genes just haven't popped up yet. Or, you know... the GLBT members there could just be too ashamed to express themselves. Or... they could be GLBT and open about it, but it's not expressed the same way as it is elsewhere.

It all depends on biology, genetics, culture, and other factors. Until we really know what makes people GLBT (and everything else), we can't know if every single culture everywhere has people like that. I'd hazard to guess that they do, but those members don't talk about it due to culture.

The only reason Iran "doesn't have gay people" is because they keep killing them all. :|