1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Canadian Conservative MPs and Minister's "It Gets Better" Video

Discussion in 'Current Events, World News, & LGBT News' started by Fintan, Oct 20, 2011.

1. Fintan

Recently Canadian Conservative Party staffers, Members of Parliament and Ministers created this "It Gets Better" video; dedicated the bullied Ottawa schoolboy, Jamie Hubley, who recently committed suicide.

[YOUTUBE]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZV1i8LWb9hY[/YOUTUBE]

2. seeksanctuary

It's a step in the right direction! Love that more people from all political sides are showing support.

3. DarkClarity

It quite nice to see people from the Right help send a message saying that bullying of any kind is wrong. I'm impressed with both the British and Canadian Conservative parties. Hopefully one day the Republicans in the US will start to follow. But I'm not holding my breath.

4. sokk

Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Too little too late.. and where is ugly Harper and Ford?

---------- Post added 21st Oct 2011 at 05:46 PM ----------

Why are you impressed? this is the most homophobic, disgusting political party in Canada. They do ANYTHING to prevent rights for LGBT people. Harper even wants to remove same sex marriage. The Conservative party in Canada is nothing like the one in the UK.. the one in the UK supports LGBT rights, the one in Canada does not, and is actually quite homophobic to boot.

5. Fintan

First, I don't think it is ever too late to become supportive of LGBT issues. I'd rather a person become supportive than remain against it. Isn't that the whole point of promoting LGBT rights? To make people more accepting?

And while I would agree that there are members of the Conservative Party of Canada that are against Gay-Marriage; the VAST majority of them are supportive or very unwilling to reopen the issue. We have Gay Marriage and Harper won't change that.

And how quickly people forget that Prime Minister Harper has appointed an openly-gay man to the highest position that any openly LGBT person has ever held in Canada; heck he even appears in the video.

While my sense is that the Canadian Conservative Party may not be quite as progressive on Gay rights as the British Conservative Party; I am quick to recall that a -Conservative- Government removed the ban on gays in the Canadian military in 1992, eight years before the UK did; and Canada has had gay-marriage longer than the UK has with no plans to change that, by any major Canadian political party.

6. sokk

Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Well.. "the vast majority" vs. the prime minister.. wonder who has the most power, huh? The fact is that Harper is a right wing evangelical Christian who strongly opposes same sex marriage.

Also.. their official politics, what's in their party program, is what's most important here, and the fact is that The Conservative Party is AGAINST same sex marriage and all other pro-LGBT rights. So what if some of them supports same sex marriage? That is good of course, don't get me wrong, BUT, and here's the main issue here, the party in itself is still pretty darn homophobic, with the Evangelical Christian leading his homophobic pack of politicians.

I also want to point out that this party has NEVER been pro LGBT rights, and only found it fitting, now, after a kid killed himself, to come out with an "it's get better video", I think it's hypocritical when their party has ALWAYS been against LGBT rights, and practically supported the hate mongering attitudes in Canadian society by saying that LGBT people are not worthy of basic rights. Yes, they helped fuel these attitudes with their homophobic politics, and only now, after a kid killed himself, they are coming out of the woodworks saying "it gets better", when their hate mongering politics helped fuel these attitudes all along? puhlease.. stop defending this asshat of a politician. Harper is a homphobic twit, and an embarrassment to Canada and to the world. End of. You gotta stop defending the most homophobic party in Canada, and start seeing it for what it really is, a hate mongering party, who supports homophobic attitudes to grow in society, while also supporting "family values".

And about the same sex marriage thing: Harper would abolish same sex marriage in a minute if he could. Trust me on this, the fact that he won't even challenge it is because it's a lost cause. But if it wasn't.. well, the first thing he would have done after he got a majority government would be to go after same sex marriage. I can't believe someone is still defending this homophobic party. Open your eyes and see the party for what it is, please. Stop defending them.

#6 sokk, Oct 22, 2011
    Last edited: Oct 22, 2011
  7. Revan

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
  8. LostandFound

LostandFound Guest

But he can't, so who cares.

9. alan t

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    A few people
    I don't understand why people keep trying to tell victims that they'll get through it instead of actually doing something about the people hurting them.
    Sounds like they want publicity from the recent suicide but what are they actually doing. Their opposition to same sex marriage is part of their message to society that queer people are not as good as others which is what causes these problems in the first place and repeating this line doesn't cancel that out.

#9 alan t, Oct 22, 2011
    Last edited: Oct 22, 2011
  10. Fintan

I may be wrong, but I think its better to applaud the group of Conservative MPs, Ministers and staffers that took it upon themselves to speak out and make this video. No, its not a statement from the entire party or the Prime Minister -- but rather than crush this group fighting for LGBT rights in the Conservative party by calling them hypocites or insincere; they should be applauded -- and hopefully the next time an LGBT issue arises they will stand up again.

11. Bran1977

Bran1977 Guest

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Some people
    You Tube videos make me and friends feel like we r not so alone...

12. alan t

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    A few people
    These people are not fighting for lgbt rights. Rona Ambrose and others in the video have voted against it several times. Have they apologised or said that they've changed their minds? Spending two minutes on a cheap photo op is just ridiculous

13. Bran1977

Bran1977 Guest

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Some people
    so true!!!! in their hearts I think they r haters...

14. alan t

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    A few people
    And it offends me that they used that boy's name in the video. Even if they're being totally sincere and are dedicated to this cause, they are still politicians so this video is a political statement, and they have no business taking advantage of him like that.

15. Bran1977

Bran1977 Guest

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Some people
    i get pissed when the religious ppl talked about love and tell ppl that God hates gay ppl.

16. sokk

Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    THANK YOU! This is exactly what I was trying to say, only you said it much better than me. It's hypocrisy at the highest level.

How about actions instead of empty words and promises? How about the Tories actually supporting and advancing LGBT rights for once? That has an effect on society a million times more than numerous PSA's telling gay kids it gets better. They are basically saying, with their politics, not supporting same sex marriage, that gays are somehow less worthy, and second class citizens in their own country, and this again is fueling anti-gay attitudes in society.. then they come out saying it will get better, AFTER a kid kills himself... huh?!?! how about you take your actions where your mouth is? want it to get better? fine. how about starting to actually support LGBT rights, that says "we love you, and we want you to be equal" much more than any PSA is able to. People just shake their heads when they watch this PSA.. how can they stand there and be sincere when they have the politics they have?!?! it doesn't make any sense. And I'm sorry, but I can't take them seriously, I just can't.. knowing what they truly believe about gay people.. it makes me angry that they can stand there saying it will get better when they officially make lives for gay teens so much worse through their policies.

17. Fintan

First, while Harper seems personally against same-sex marriage (most likely due to his religious beliefs) he has also promised never to re-open the same-sex marriage debate as long as he is in power. A Prime Minister that promises to maintain same-sex marriage as law for 9+ years... is all but entrenching it forever. I think any reasonable person would agree that same-sex marriage will never be revoked in Canada, regardless of who is in power after Harper.

Secondly, it astounds me that any LGBT person would attack those within the Conservative Party who fight within their ranks for a stronger stance on LGBT issues. It's not a popular subject to advocate for in much of the Conservative Heartland of Canada; and thus it probably will lose you votes (or probably your job) if you speak out for LGBT issues too loudly.

Purely from an objective point of view: If I were a Conservative MP who spoke in this video; I probably would receive hate mail from people in my conservative constituency -- but then if the LGBT community then said that I was doing it for the wrong reasons, like for "publicity" or I was "insincere", why would I ever touch an LGBT issue again?

Just my two cents.

By the way: The man Stephen Harper choose to appoint Foreign Minister, John Baird, is the highest ranking openly gay Canadian in Canadian history. He is also a tireless advocate for LGBT issues inside the Conservative Caucus, and trust me he gets flack for it.

18. Bran1977

Bran1977 Guest

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Some people
    If adultrey is a sin and divorce destroys families...why does the religious people spend so much time slamming gay people? If they want to make things better start with the sins they have the most. I think it is because those who live in sin and practice divorce also out cash in their baskets...

19. RedState

Fintan, don't try to talk logic and reason to these liberals on this board. You will simply drive yourself crazy.

I think the MP's that took it upon themselves to speak on this issue should be commended.

20. sokk

Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    I disagree with this. I think it's hypocrisy and a slap in the face to all those who are working for LGBT rights each and every passing day. I think it's incredibly hypocritical, and yes, a double standard, for The Conservatives to come out and do an "it gets better video", when their party does everything it can to oppose LGBT rights. I think it's as low as you can get, and I'm sorry, these people get no sympathy form me whatsoever.

If they however, put their words into action, maybe SUPPORTING some LGBT causes, maybe putting a bill through to stop bullying, THEN they will get sympathy from me, but not now. No way. It's too easy doing an "it gets better" video, a video even Jamie himself said DOES NOT HELP, and coming from the homophobic tories, yes, I think it's fair to question if it really is sincere or not.

The tories are supporting an anti-gay Canadian society with their anti-gay politics, they basically condone the homophobic attitudes brewing in the Canadian society, they do NOTHING about these attitudes, because their politics are anti-LGBT, and basically says "we agree, lets hate on the gays, because they are less worthy, and do not deserve the same rights as everyone else." I find it OFFENSIVE that someone supporting anti-LGBT politics can stand up there and say it gets better, when they all but help these attitudes grow in society.

But one thing is clear: we'll never see eye to eye on this, so lets just leave it at that.