1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Appoint an Advisor on LGBT Youth Issues

Discussion in 'Current Events, World News, & LGBT News' started by 4alex6, Oct 21, 2011.

1. 4alex6

I'm not sure if a thread about this has already been created yet, but I found out about this petition to appoint a White House advisor on LGBT youth issues. With all the suicides that are happening because of bullying, the most recent suicide being Jamie Hubley :frowning2:, I feel like this would be a great idea to help stop bullying are discrimination in public and private schools in the USA. What are your opinions on this petition?

Petition:
    www.wh.gov/4wZ

2. NickT

The problem with this sort of thing is that it looks like they'd be favoring LGBT over other minorities/types of people that are also bullied. Do we have an adviser over other youth issues?

3. RedState

^^^This
    While I do think it is a good idea to have some sort of outreach, you can't really have a specific designation since gay youth are not the only ones that are bullied

4. Revan

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Can't sign being in Canada.

5. Heyitsme

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Gay youth might not be the only ones that are bullied, but we're one of the groups that people will turn a blind eye to when there is bullying (or will even encourage bullying).

6. Fiddledeedee

Paraphrasing the site, Anyone over the age of 13 can create an account... anyone with an account can sign a petition, implying that you could sign. They also don't ask for your location.

---------- Post added 23rd Oct 2011 at 07:45 PM ----------

Is there an advisor for youth issues in general? If not, maybe that should come first.