1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Absolutely speechless...

Discussion in 'Current Events, World News, & LGBT News' started by BlueFoxfireS8, Oct 26, 2011.

1. BlueFoxfireS8

Okay, so I've been doing a lot of reading about marriage equality these past few weeks and I get that one of the heated arguments religion has against gays is that they don't provide a safe environment for children. Well, what I saw just a few hours ago at a mall beg to differ:

I was walking by a married couple, straight people, and their daughter(I think) fell off her chair, hit her head against the baby cart next to her and finally hit the floor. Now, these people couldn't even be bothered to check on this kid; the people on the table across them picked up the little girl(I saw that they kind of hesitated a bit, probably thinking that either of the man or woman would have been responsible enough to do it themselves.) Even after that though, the guy just puts the child on his lap and doesn't stop talking to his wife, not even to console his daughter.

The kid looked about three or four so obviously the fall was hard on her so wtf? Why didn't they do anything? I mean, I'm not very fond of small children myself but even I wouldn't let something like that pass. :tantrum:

2. Eric

That really has nothing to do with straight vs. gay couples. It just seems like bad parenting and that shouldn't really have any impact on anyone's view of how opposite-sex couples raise children. Sometimes, people just shouldn't be parents, and this couple might be two of those people.

3. Jim1454

Yes - some people shouldn't have kids - regardless of their orientation. I remember thinking when we were buying a dog that there was more involved in getting a dog (proving you'd provide a good home, be responsible, spend time with it, etc.) than you ever had to prove in order to be a parent. Any straight couple can go ahead and get pregnant and there's nobody to rule on whether or not they're worthy parents.

4. Emberstone

i think from a psychological standpoint, gay parents will be more likely to be good parents because gay parents have to jump through alot of hoops to have children that heterosexual parents in most cases, do not have to jump through.

5. Revan

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Some people cannot be parents. Plain and simple.

---------- Post added 26th Oct 2011 at 07:31 PM ----------

Such as getting drunk at prom

Or forgetting a condom

or being a promiscuous woman and letting multiple men have sex with you.

No offense to women, I'm more saying apply to both men and women for the first two...these are all hoops that they don't have to jump through, any of them can result in a child whereas none of these can cause a child for two men or two women. Please no one take offense to this, I think the regular means of having a child, in which you're in love with one another and decide to take that step, yes it's not something gay men and women can do, the baby part from sex, is a wonderful thing. But fact is straight people can have a kid completely by accident, gay people can't.

6. BlueFoxfireS8

I guess I came across as a bit biased when I posted this, sorry for that; I wasn't very lucid at the time. My point here was exactly what Emberstone said, that gay couples know how to value children more because they can't have it the same way straight couples do and gays face discrimination in respect to having children. I'm not making out that straight people are bad parents, just that it's not valid to say that the home environment of same-sex couples shouldn't be judged when there are opposite-sex couples who aren't doing such a good job as parents. It's just so irritating that a lot of people tend to ignore that that's all.