1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Chick-Fil-A anti-gay???

Discussion in 'Current Events, World News, & LGBT News' started by MommaFrog, Nov 1, 2011.

1. MommaFrog

2. DhammaGamer

I have never heard of this restaurant before. Where do they originate from?

3. Emberstone

I have only heard of them because of their long history of supporting anti-gay groups.

4. MommaFrog

I think they are prevalent mostly in the south... there's 2 in Gainesville, an hour south of me....

5. BradThePug

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Some people
    There are some of those here in ohio as well

6. Zontar

Samuel Cathy is a staunch Southern Baptist and echoes of this ripple through his company. Among them, the chain is closed on Sundays, and their mission statement includes a statement on "honoring the glory of God."

The Southern Baptist Convention and homosexuality are pretty much mutually exclusive, so it should come as no surprise that they donate to "pro-family" groups. To them, it's all part of "honoring the glory of God."

Personally, I wouldn't want to give my money to someone who invests a considerable amount of time propagating such nonsense.

7. excuseyou77

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    I haven't eaten there in a long time, but reading this makes me want to take my Chik-Fil-A card out of my wallet and cut it up.

8. Fiddledeedee

I went to one in SC this summer, and they had Christian music playing through the place; this news doesn't suprise me, though it is a pity. I shall have to ask my aunt not to go there again if we do another road trip.

9. Revan

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    This was kinda back in 2009...old news really...but still they are anti-gay i believe...

10. RedState

It's a very devout Conservative Christian organization...it originated outside of Atlanta I think. They routinely give to traditional organizations, which is their right. It is also within the right, and appropriate, for those that disagree with their views to show their disagreement with their wallets and go elsewhere.

I personally don't ever eat there because their food is terrible for you and I hardly ever eat fast food...but I will say their chocolate milkshakes are UNGODLY divine...my god those things are good.

11. MommaFrog

The 2009 tax records are the most recent to be released, and that's what this is based off of...

12. PerfectInsanity

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Does anyone know if In&Out Burger supports anti-gay crap too? I ate there with friends recently and one of them pointed out that the bottom of the cups and fry/burger baggies have references to the bible (e.g. John 3:16). I never really saw what all the fuss was about their food in the first place, but learning this info. makes me want to not frequent their establishment for another reason entirely (especially if they donate to anti-gay "family" causes). It would kinda be in keeping with the whole 1950's atmosphere they've got going on though! :wink:

13. NoPlanB

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Not out at all
    Chick-Fil-A is too good to give up. <3

I know the family of the founder of the chain and they're pretty awesome people.

14. Emberstone

you sure that is in and out. thats what carl's jr does.

15. reallyrandomguy

Yes, In N Out does have bible verses on certain paper items. I know that the cups have verses, as do the wrappers for the burgers.

Going back to the Chick-Fil-A question, I would probably eat there so I wasn't offending anyone I knew. For example, I had to cast an actor who absolutely LOVED! Chick-Fil-A. I didn't say anything, but I ate there. I'm honestly sort of neutral to the entire thing. Yeah, they gave money to an anti-LGBT group. I don't think that's bad enough to protest it outright. If they discriminate against people in their stores, that's a differently story. Otherwise, what they choose to do with their money is their choice.

16. J Snow

I only know of one Chick-Fil-A around her its in a mall food court. I was with my mother and she was really excited to get it, but it was actually closed because it was sunday and they do not operate on the Sabbath day. I could tell my mom was deeply conflicted. She very Christian (Well, Catholic and they aren't super well know for take the Sabbath that strictly anyway...) but on the other hand she wanted some chicken!

I've only had the food a couple times before, but I can say I probably won't give them any business in the future now. Its not outstanding enough that its a huge sacrifice for me anyway...

17. Browncoat

Gender Pronoun:
    They
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    That may be so, but this was the first time I heard about it.

I already hated their commercials...now when I see one I'm going to feel like throwing the remote at it, lol.

18. Shevanel

I wouldn't care about how a restaurant may choose to spend their money. It's all about the food. If it's good enough, I'll go there.

Don't see the fuss at all.

19. Hot Pink

The fuss is about that if you eat there, you're giving more money to the opponents of marriage equality. You're personally helping a hateful cause.

20. Shevanel

Must be a hateful person I suppose. =]