1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Meth Project Ad

Discussion in 'Current Events, World News, & LGBT News' started by Mister E, Nov 9, 2011.

1. Mister E

I saw this come up before a video on Youtube, and I kinda question this ad. I'm not sure if I'm being hyper sensitive, but I think it's putting a negative connotation on homosexuality. I know it's about being where you'd never expect to be, but why does it have to be a guy that is having sex for drugs? I don't know. Just thought I'd post it here to hear your opinions.

EDIT:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_embedded&v=uq6Vg8Hm5VA

Not sure how to make it show up on this post, so here's the link.

2. Nykoru

Out Status:
    Some people
    I think you are being just a little sensitive, no offence. It's similar to the women's job equality movement, and a fairly normal reaction: a producer attempts to not differentiate between the groups (male/female sex workers, and statistically most users of the system are male), and when they go with the minority, it is interpreted by some as a bias. If there were two people applying for the same job, with similar qualifications, and the societally dominant (straight white male) was chosen, someone is going to say they're sexist (or more, if other minorities are involved) :slight_smile: Just the way people are when they're trying to make things equal, but still feel (or are) they're biased against.

Not sure if I got all of my point across in that, but I did just wake up XD In short, I wouldn't worry about it; it's not only women in the trade, so not all the videos involving the trade should focus on women.

3. British Lad

British Lad Guest

I they have straight versions of the ad as well

4. Chip

Board Member Admin Team Advisor Full Member

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    That's a very realistic ad.

In major cities such as San Francisco, meth use among gay men is at epidemic levels, and because of its penetration in the gay scene nationwide, there's a lot of money going toward advertising targeting young gay men because meth use is so pervasive in gay culture.

I personally know at least 3 young gay men who became addicted to meth and ended up trading sex for drugs or money to support their habit, so I think the ad is accurately targeting an impacted audience.

Additionally, there is also data indicating that a large percentage of the unprotected sexual encounters among gay men happens when one or both are high on meth, and so meth use and HIV infection are correlated. There was a huge advertising campaign in San Francisco a couple years ago run by the SF AIDS coalition called "Me, not Meth" which is credited with having a significant impact in reducing meth use in the city.