1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

"Why is school such a hard place to be gay?"

Discussion in 'Current Events, World News, & LGBT News' started by Doctor Faustus, Nov 11, 2011.

1. Doctor Faustus

2. Mogget

Ugh, I read some of the comments. No, commenter, the fact that kids have always bullied people who are different does not make it acceptable.

3. Vesper

Why? Because schools are microcosms reflecting the society at large, and kids are more brutally honest about their feelings than adults.

4. Emberstone

because when you have 2000 kids, and 80 adults... you do the math.

5. Ridiculous

If you're still of school age and are gay, you probably haven't had time to fully come to terms with it yourself. That's going to make it much harder to cope with any criticism/bullying/whatever.

6. silverhalo

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I dont necessarily think that it is fundamentally the gay thing, school can be a really tough place for anyone who isnt popular, confident or who fits the mould. The fact that people bully people because they are gay isnt essentially because they are gay its because thats their weakness, just like fat kids or short kids. School is a tough place to be.

7. Aeon Magus

You can be any number of things, but as long as you don't "fit in" with the "popular" crowd or what the majority thinks is "normal", you will most likely be the target of emotional or physical harm/bullying, which in turn can affect your social and educational wellbeing. I'm not saying it's acceptable, I'm not saying it "builds character" (like my principal told me), I'm agreeing with what Silverhalo says here.
    Nerdy kids, overweight kids, homely kids, 'little people', whether these kids are deformed, or have some sort of disease or disorder... there are way too many traits and characteristics that kids these days find to be "different". And what we all know is, is that not every one person is the same... so, just maybe, the act of bullying is a way for them to deal with their own insecurities, of being different than the person they are bullying, who is "different" in their eyes.
    Schools are just a terrible place for these things to be happening. You only have your friends and teachers to rely on when you're there. Dealing with bullying is a co-responsibility for all these children and adults in schools, and should work together to putting a stop to it.

My two cents' worth... :eusa_shif