1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Why "Born This Way" makes me queasy

Discussion in 'Current Events, World News, & LGBT News' started by anatta, Nov 23, 2011.

1. anatta

Not just the song, the message behind it, which is nothing new but I'm hearing it more now thanks to those lyrics.

I do think the sexual orientation that will emerge in adolescence and the gender traits that emerge very early on are mostly or completely determined prior to birth, there is plenty of evidence for that by now, but I don't see the social relevance at all. Whether or not people can easily change their desires (which isn't even dependent upon whether they're formed prior to birth, if formed later in life it could still be exactly as unbending) is itself only relevant in as much as it means the discrimination is more harmful to those it affects than if they could easily change their desires as soon as it became a problem. Whether or not the desires are socially desirable however, is completely unrelated to both how those desires come to be, and whether they can be altered.

I know the intentions are pure but really, where is the pride in arguing for equality on the basis that "I can't help it"? It pathologises LGBT people at best and apologises for them at worst. It's making an excuse where no excuse is necessary. Only when someone acts upon desires that are harmful to unwilling parties do excuses become relevant. When I hear a gay person singing that Gaga song, I cringe because it's as if they're agreeing with people who consider their LGBT status to be less than ideal and are asking for a pardon.

If it were determined somehow that straight or gender typical people were, in fact, not born straight or gender typical, would they suddenly be facing discrimination and loss of privilege? No, because their rights and afforded dignity are not granted because it's assumed they're born that way. They're granted because their desires are not seen as negative things to act upon, while for various historical, social and psychological reasons, minority sexual and gendered desires are. It's that perception that needs to be challenged, otherwise you can expect to see research aimed at preventing LGBT people from being born in the not too distant future.

#1 anatta, Nov 23, 2011
    Last edited: Nov 23, 2011
  2. Danielle

Danielle Guest

No offense but I think your reading into it too much.

It is just a song probably written for the purpose of making as much money as possible.

3. Aeon Magus

I don't interpret these lyrics the way you do, it seems. It's supposed to build confidence - the ray of hope that all of us need. And there's nothing wrong with the message behind it - if "God" makes no mistakes, then people who are LGBT aren't either. You're perfect the way you are, orientation and race included.

4. Friendly ghost

I agree with Danielle, it is intended for money. But, you should also really look at the lyrics. It isn't say don't be mean to us because we were born this way. Its more/less talking to anyone to just be themselves, whoever you are, because you were born to be you. As in, don't try to change who you are for other people.

Though, I don't like it either, just not for that reason.

---------- Post added 23rd Nov 2011 at 08:06 AM ----------

Well now, Aeon Magnus you've beat me I see, I posted my opinion and when it refreshed I see it posted 4 minutes earlier.. I agree with you though.

5. Allecto

My main beef with the song is the use of "chola" and "Orient." If you're going to write an anthem of empowerment, it might not be a good idea to use offensive terminology.

I think Gaga's heart is in the right place, but she missed the mark with "Born This Way." I'd like the song a lot more if it wasn't for the racefail.

6. anatta

The other lyrics look better, but I doubt I'm rare in not knowing many of them, that line is still the one most people will remember and it's chosen as the title. I really just use the song as a topical reference point though; as I said, I don't agree with the common political argument that the title and chorus iterate, I don't really care about the song itself. I hate this type of music anyway, lol, so the thread's not really supposed to be about Lady Gaga, sorry if it looked like it was.

7. NoPlanB

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Not out at all
    I love this song, but it always makes me feel like crap. Since gay is a minority (and one looked down on by a lot of people) being "born this way" made me feel like a mistake and a freak.

8. Emberstone

put it this way. Anti-gay forces are pushing the disproven lie that sexuality is a choice.

Born this way as a statement, and in how lady gaga uses it in her song, is a push back against the lie. it is a direct responce to the 'its a choice' propaganda that even the originators of 'its a choice' are now saying is wrong, and that sexual orientation is not a choice.

it is basically a way to keep pushing back the propaganda, and getting people to think and look into the reality. Every civil rights movement has statements like this, becuase they are the distilation of (at least part) of the issue that needs to be dealt with in society.

it is harder to take away/deny rights if it is something that is a normal aspect of who a person is. Americans, and people all over the world are already rejecting the pedophillia/rapist lines, and the 'its a choice' is all the anti-gay forces really have in terms of a direct attack on lgbt people. the 'jesus tells me to kill all the gayz' line isnt getting traction anymore with the majority of the population.

9. Beachboi92

The idea that we are born with our sexuality, race, gender, etc has been a long standing method for minorities to fight for equal treatment. If they cannot be at fault or personally accountable for their state how can they be marginalized for it. I agree that in a way it does pathologize us however it is an effective method for getting equal treatment and a stepping stone towards breaking down the way our society marginalizes every group straying from the white middle to upper class heterosexual male mold. The problem with arguing from a moral standpoint about same sex activity is that right wing religious conservative have already planted their flag in that ground spouting the bible as the basis for their moral argument, so trying to counter that becomes he said she said and a battle against religion where as proving that gay people can't help but be gay is sort of a trump card.

---------- Post added 23rd Nov 2011 at 01:16 PM ----------

plus there is the fact that most of the scientific community believes sexuality is mostly inborn and that we have little to no say in who we are attracted to so there really is nothing wrong with stating something if it's the truth xD

10. Chandra

I think Gaga's heart is in the right place and the song probably does more good than harm overall. But I agree with you, OP, that the idea that LGBT people should have rights merely because they can't help themselves is highly problematic.

And I'll reiterate this until I'm out of breath: although most people may not have any choice whatsoever when it comes to their sexuality, for some people there is a certain amount of choice involved. And these people have just as much right to acceptance and equality as anybody else.

11. Sadepeura

I didn't use to like Lady Gaga, but I love this song. Especially all the bits in bold in Aeon Magus's post. :slight_smile:

12. Kidd

Kidd Guest

Personally I love the song and I have always maintained that people are born LGBT and I believe that for myself. Although, it really doesn't matter in the end whether it's a choice or if people are born or made that way or whatever. Religion is a choice and it receives an innumerable amount of protection, sexuality should be no different. :rolle:

13. needshelp

this. i just think lady gaga is just catering to her fans if anything. if she didn't have a large gay fan following, i DOUBT she would have made this song.

14. NoName114

NoName114 Guest

I might sound stupid or nit-picking and I think lady gaga wanted to do a win-win (get a fat check and build confendence)

I also have a thesis that 75% of someone is set in stone and the other 15% varies on life

#14 NoName114, Nov 23, 2011
    Last edited: Nov 23, 2011
  15. In The Clouds

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    All but family
    Exactly how I feel! That song just makes me hate Gaga's music more, though. "Born This Way" proves that she can make good music and yet she put's out crap. (Going into Rarity/Large Hame mode) That is a CRIME I tell you! A CRIME! (Out of Rarity/Large Ham mode) Sorry 'bout that. :icon_redf

16. Aya McCabre

It bugs me that people say we were born this way as a justification or a defense. It shouldn't matter. There are people who say they chose to be gay, and that's just as valid as people who believe they were born gay. It gets to me that there's so much emphasis on genetics when the studies so far can't back up a claim that there is a 100% genetic (or prenatal) basis... what about everyone else?

17. Revan

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    You know what makes me queasy? People saying Gaga did this to make money. That's what makes me queasy :slight_smile:

18. crazyhead

I get where you're coming from. I too think that even if it were a choice, there would be nothing wrong with choosing to be gay. But, I think knowledge and understanding are important. I think it's important for people who aren't gay to understand everything there is to understand about homosexuality. (Other subjects too, but I'm specifying here.) Even if it's not relevant, the knowledge is a step toward understanding.
    Also, I do think it's relevant. The point is not to separate us from minorities who are minority by choice. (Religious minorities for example.) But the point is to group us with people who are minorities by birth. Like black people. And once people understand that this parallel is sound, it's hard to insist on changing it.

19. Mogget

I have no opinions on Gaga's song, but I hate the "homosexuality is not a choice" argument. From an ethical perspective, it's a stupid argument. The rightness or wrongness of an act is not determined by whether one has an inclination towards acting that way, but by the harm or benefit produced by that act. Even if homosexuality were completely chosen, that would not make it immoral. Likewise, even if I hada strong and persistent desire to steal every time I enter a friend's house, that would not make it moral.

By using the "homosexuality is a choice" argument we are, as anatta says, pathologizing and apologizing for homosexuality. Within that argument is a strong undercurrent of "if it were a choice, it would be wrong" and "damn we wish we didn't have this awful desire." And I reject both those statements absolutely and unequivocally.

20. midwestgirl89

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Some people
    Personally I love the song "Born this Way". The reason I love it is because when I go to a gay club or if I'm with gay friends we can dance together and really let loose. It's freeing. I haven't read much into the song but I love how it says "I'm beautiful in my way". I wasn't too sure about the chola or orient part though. I'm not sure if it's offensive or not.