1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

U.S. to Use Aid to Promote Gay Rights Abroad

Discussion in 'Current Events, World News, & LGBT News' started by Kidd, Dec 6, 2011.

1. Kidd

Kidd Guest

When the UK started doing this I said we should do the same. I'm really happy that we've started.

2. British Lad

British Lad Guest

Its about time the USA took its head out of its A*** and stud up for was right, no way in 2 weeks there going to stop because the Christians will moan and Obama with have to go the the Supreme court and it will end up spending 5 years trying to do something for good.

3. J Snow

I have mixed feelings about this. Shouldn't we be fighting homophobia in our own nation before rushing off to be the world police again? We don't even allow gay marriage in most our states, but what the hell, lets go kick the ass of THOSE homophobic countries... It doesn't make sense to me.

4. person54

I feel really happy that we are going to promote the equality of others in countries abroad and it makes me proud buuut... at the same time I'm a little confused. We may be better than some countries when it comes to presence of homophobia but we have plenty room for improvement at home. Obama has said he is still "working on it" with regards to the issue of gay marriage.

So now we're going to tell other countries, "Hey! don't be discriminatory of gay people" when we don't even treat gay people equally within our own borders.

5. Pilgrim is hot

while I very much agree that america needs to get it's own house in shape the fact is people are legally allowed to be gay in america, there are countries where being gay is illegal and where gay people are killed so regularly it's not a news item this needs to stop now.

6. Shevanel

This

7. ANightDude

Compared to the majority of the world, we've got it pretty dang good. At least we aren't stoned in the streets for it. The goal is to make it legal, not necessarily give full rights in other nations.

8. Fintan

First the UK and now the US. Excellent news.

9. British Lad

British Lad Guest

At least the key world players are standing for us, all we need now are the other big countries and then there no way they can say no.

10. kris B

I heard Hillary Clinton's speech on youtube...I liked it. She was careful not to give the impression that this is yet another instance of the West preaching morality to former colonies. I think a lot of people in Asia and Africa often think of it that way.

11. Revan

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I feel it does make sense to be honest. The fact is, the world influences each other. Yes the USA is a superpower but the fact is, as long as there are places out there that actually have being gay as a crime, the Christian right is going to constantly fight saying "why not make it a crime here" more or less by making gay marriage illegal. I know what I'm saying probably doesn't make sense either, but I just feel while focusing on ourselves (yeah I know I'm in Canada, shush :stuck_out_tongue_closed_eyes: ) is important, changing the world will in turn change ourselves.

12. J Snow

Okay, so I feel like I looked like a Debby Downer in my above post. Let me restate my opinion so I don't come off as so much of a douche >.<

I think this is great. I really do. I'm just surprised that they are going to such great lengths to influence other countries when we still seem to be treated like second class citizens here at times. I think its a good thing, its just kind of surprising to me.