1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Any news about Prop 8 hearing?

Discussion in 'Current Events, World News, & LGBT News' started by kris B, Dec 8, 2011.

1. kris B

Does anyone know what happened in the Prop 8 hearing on Thursday??

2. Emberstone

it was basically just a chance for both sides to make arguements for or against a few issues, one being the releasing of the tapes of the original trial, and the second being if the last judgement by judge ware to not vacate the ruling by judge walker in the first trial because before the trial happened, it was public knowledge that walker was gay, and that both sides said they did not feel it was relevant. after they lost, the prop 8 people tried to get the ruling thrown out, even though they said his sexuality was not enough to request a new judge.

in reading transcripts and commentary from it, yet again, even the more conservative of the justices easily got the prop 8 people to get tongue tied. Justice Smith, who is a solid conservatives, grilled both sides, but when it came to grilling the pro-gay marriage lawyers, it was to prod for more arguement. when smith was grilling the anti-gay sides, it often seemed to have a mocking edge to it, as if he has grown tired in the last year of dealing with them, and their blatently easily dismantled arguements.

I heard that rulings are suposed to come quick from the three justices that handled this hearing today, because I think there is another court date coming up really soon, so they want to wrap this part up, and move on to the next one. I have heard whispers that we should have rulings in part on what was discussed today sometimes in january.

3. kris B

Thanks for the update! I hope we get a favorable ruling soon.
    It would be nice if they release the tapes, maybe someone will put it on youtube. I' d like to watch it.

4. aidan

US Appeals Court judges tear down Prop 8 supporters