1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Gay WikiLeaks soldier claims discrimination

Discussion in 'Current Events, World News, & LGBT News' started by kris B, Dec 17, 2011.

1. kris B

2. Zontar

No excuse for what he did.

3. RedState

Fuck Bradley Manning he is a piece of shit...I hope he rots in jail....but seeing that he is prob a bottom...he may be real popular in prison .

But my view: to hell with him..he should

4. Nomad187

I hope he gets off the charges

5. MyDecember

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    All but family
    (Graphic Video Warning)
    Such a sad case. This is their only defense because they really have none. He knew what he was doing and he knew the consequences. If anything it's kind of offensive that they would use a gay defense on nothing that has to do with his sexuality. I'm grateful he leaked the attack on innocent people in Iraq but most of the information he leaked just wasn't worth it though, he probably had no idea what he downloaded. The defense has a greater chance at making a case by downplaying the issue of what was leaked rather than his sexual orientation.

In regards to the video, my university is heavily an engineering university. We live not far away from a lockheed martin so a lot of the funding we get is from military personnel and a lot of the research is funded an aimed to help the US military. I participated in an experiment to identify weapons from night vision cameras and the camera used from the video. We were supposed to tell the difference from an M16, AK47 and an Umbrella. It wasn't easy. A lot of visual experiments have been done since this video leaked because of the rightful embarrassment the military suffered from it. The helicopter was responding to shots in the area and were checking it out before they engaged.

#5 MyDecember, Dec 18, 2011
    Last edited: Dec 18, 2011
  6. Kidd

Kidd Guest

He's obviously going to spend the rest of his life in jail but what he did was a good thing in my opinion. He exposed war crimes committed by the United States. If the world was fair Manning would get the same punishment Cheney and Libby got for outing Valerie Plame.

7. Danielle

Danielle Guest

I couldn't agree more.

8. Fintan

Exactly. Good riddance.

9. Emberstone

taking pleasure at the prospect of prison rape...

I should bring this up whenever you bring up john mccain.

Personally I think the wikileaks people just need to get a life. It seemed right off the bat to me that they were just anarchist trying to stir the pot, rather than how they protray themselves. They only seemed to want to release things that cause international conflict. shocking when it was revealed the wikileaks founder's last name was not 'Cheney', since fabricating international conflicts is a family tradition.

10. Danielle

Danielle Guest

Freedom of Information seems to mean nothing to most people here.

11. NickT

Did he break the rules? Yes, and he should be punished. Doesn't mean what he did was wrong though.

12. alan t

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    A few people
    i don't know why but every time i read about him i feel like he needs a hug.

13. seeksanctuary

Exactly.

14. Danielle

Danielle Guest

A rule that has no right being in place. A government should never be able to hide documents from its people.

15. starfish

It was just a little light treason...

Of course the real story here is that 1 person was able to sneak out that much information without anyone noticing.

16. Emberstone

the freedom of information law applies only to documents deemed not a matter of national security.

it is argueable if all the information hacked/stolen (a crime in and of itself, and that cannot be denied) were matter of national security, but regardless a nation has a right to defend itself, and that includes not revealing publicly how much that nation knows about other nations.

17. ANightDude

Since nuclear weapon facilities are apparently easy to get into (seriously - you hop over a fence), it's not totally shocking.

18. MyDecember

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    All but family
    I think he did so by pretending to listen to lady gaga. no joke.

19. No One

I'm actually against the Freedom of Information Act. I truly believe that governments must keep certain secrets in order to protect the safety of those they serve.

If all he had exposed was the crimes against innocent civilians, it would be one thing and I would say his punishment should be lesser, but that wasn't the only thing he leaked.

His argument is completely ridiculous.

20. Danielle

Danielle Guest

No government has a right to hide anything from its citizens. I would rather have terrorism and the right to information than no terrorism and no right to information.

Anyway, I have yet to see an attack on US troops based on information obtained from WikiLeaks.