1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Christian groups boycott Tesco over 'evil Christians' comment

Discussion in 'Current Events, World News, & LGBT News' started by EmptyClosets, Dec 20, 2011.

1. EmptyClosets

Admin Team Full Member

2. Zontar

Good for Mr. Lansley. He tells it like it is, although I would prefer "unintelligent" to "evil".

Very few public figures have the brass cajones to call out fundamentally broken yet major belief systems.

3. silverhalo

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I think it is a shame that his employment had to factor into it, I guess that is what happens when you work at a high level at a company or organization I mean the view were his not those of Tescos as explained, but I congratulate him on having the guts to speak out, its something not many people do. I also agree with the above poster that evil is probably a little harsh.

4. Ridiculous

I don't see why it should be sugarcoated. Evil is a perfectly good word, because those same Christians are so fond of using it themselves.

5. Cymbrii

ha... I was thinking "evil" was a bit harsh too, but you raise a good point XD

6. Elven

Indeed, good for him.

7. Pilgrim is hot

thankfully christian groups over here in England have far less power so this has rightfully been ignored, think Ignorant might be a better word than evil as they need to be educated.

8. Fiddledeedee

I don't see how boycotting Tesco will help anything – Christians are only one group that may shop at Tesco, and not all of them oppose gay marriage. Of the ones that do, I think it is likely that they may not bother to stop shopping there, not keep it up for a long time, etc.. His comments may have been exaggerated, but I don't think that this is the best way to tackle them if they offend you.

9. steel03

Boycotting might be an overreaction, but he should not be calling anyone "evil." Antagonizing everybody is going to get us exactly nowhere. These people are NOT evil, PERIOD. They are wrong, they can be mean-spirited, and they are definitely confused, but they are not evil.

10. Elven

To be fair I wouldn't say there is any such thing as "evil" and that it's moreso a personal view, as such he might well see them that way, probably harsh but nice and blunt, gets the point across which is probably why they tend to use it.

11. Fintan

First, he said it on his personal Flickr page.... and he has no decision making power over this matter... so who cares? and why punish Tesco?

But whether he said "Evil Christians" or "Evil Homosexuals" its a bit over the top. But again its his personal view, and his personal view has little impact on public policy. Who cares?

12. J Snow

He stated his opinion. What's wrong with that.

I have no idea what Tesco is though.

13. No One

While I personally wouldnt use the word "evil", I dont see anything wrong with him using it. After all, it is one of the Christian's favorite words to use.

And in other news, I have absolutely no idea what Tesco is.

#13 No One, Dec 23, 2011
    Last edited: Dec 24, 2011
  14. steel03

"one of the Christian's favorite words"
    Who are you talking about? Because this Christian doesn't call groups of people evil.

15. Fintan

Qft