1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Rick Perry Confronted by Teenager Over Gays Serving Openly in Military

Discussion in 'Current Events, World News, & LGBT News' started by steel03, Dec 20, 2011.

1. steel03

Just had to post this because I'm so proud of my college and my town!

Rick Perry Confronted by Teenager Over Gays Serving Openly in Military

The best thing is that the professor in question teaches religion at our ELCA-affiliated school and is himself a "Christian agnostic," that is, he is Christian but admits that he doesn't have all the answers. I actually just had a conversation like a week ago with a classmate about how fantastic this professor is and how I have to take a class with him.

Here's what I think: we send soldiers all over the world TO KILL PEOPLE, and the "sin" you're worried about is homosexuality?? How many soldiers do you think have had sex out of wedlock? Lied? Eaten shellfish? Been vegetarian? I just love what this girl said - "You want to deny them that freedom when they’re fighting and dying for your right to run for president."

I also think it's funny, because Decorah is such a liberal, forward-thinking town, and you totally wouldn't expect it (it's under 10,000 people, it's not on an Interstate, and the nearest city is Rochester, MN an hour away). Perry's campaign probably thought we would play right into his hand. XD

#1 steel03, Dec 20, 2011
    Last edited: Dec 20, 2011
  2. Katelynn

That's the problem with politicians - they assume that the electorate believes whatever they believe if they identify as Democrat or Republican. Sorry, but whether Democrat or Republican, voters have brains in their heads. You can tell people what to think all you want, & some will believe what you say, but politicans will always run the risk of running into people they assume agree with them, but in fact, think for themselves. And that, ladies & gentlemen, is why politicans can be condescending so much of the time. A word to all the politcians out there - dont assume you know the hearts & minds of the people, just listen to what they have to say first. Politics (whether American or otherwise) is a classic & enduring example of the old saying: 'Better to have people think you are a fool than to open your mouth & remove all doubt.' Judging by the number of politicians in both parties, it seems that the politicians just still havent figured that one out yet!

3. steel03

That's absolutely right. Honestly I just detest the party system so much. It's not productive, all it does is breed antagonism. If candidates ran on what they believed rather than would half the country has told them to believe, we'd get so much more done.
    At the same time, Decorah on paper would be like teabagger central, and there are a few of those wandering around, but in reality it's such a hipster hippie town. One night I was downtown and there was (not making this up) an accordion-sitar duo playing traditional Middle-Eastern music for a packed house at the co-op and the most hipster band I've ever seen playing for another packed house a block away at the Art Haus. XD Not exactly the type of place Rick Perry would thrive.

4. J Snow

lol, I don't know if you saw it but I posted about a similar situation happening with him in Ames here

http://emptyclosets.com/forum/lgbt-...ality/54900-college-town-stands-up-perry.html

It just goes to show, that ad might have worked somewhere else, but he MURDERED himself with that anti-gay commercial in Iowa. Why would he think that a state that has gay marriage is going to be against gays serving in the military. Even my straight friends last night were all talking about how awful and stupid that commercial was.

5. steel03

People underestimate Iowa! It's just like that awful Stephen Bloom article. It's average or well above average in just about every ranking. Des Moines has the best economy in the Midwest (and Iowa has very low unemployment), there's breathtaking scenery in the northeast, we have a long history of tolerance (back to Antebellum days), and there are all kinds of fun cultural hubs outside of DSM like Iowa City, Decorah, and Mason City.

6. Emberstone

There was a candidate named Rick Perry,
    He said "don't enlist if you’re a fairy!"
    He thumped his flat chest, and laughed with the rest…
    That he could be president is scary.

7. J Snow

This is the perfect EC post. Bravo. Keep up the good work.

8. Zontar

Perry's not going to win. He's an idiot.

9. Emberstone

so far, that has been indicative of all the front runners the GOP has seen. Regardless who gets the nomination, so far it seems they are going to be idiots... including mitt romney, who makes 13million a year in a pension, then has the nerve to say that he is unemployed... most people barely make 50k a year, and your saying you understand their pay with you 13million a year pension from a firm you ran where your job was to destroy american jobs, and ship them elsewhere, sometimes even to forigen countries?

it is basically a idiot convention right now in the GOP primary.

10. RedState

I like Romney, because he's gonna look out for us rich folks.

Why does it matter what he makes really? And why is that such a point of resentment for liberals?

Romney is worth a few hundred million dollars...good for him. I admire that....I don't resent it.

Bill Clinton made $109 million last year...you going to throw the same "I hate rich folks" rocks at him?

Hmmm....I doubt it.

As far as the idiot comment...with a few of the candidates I would say yes (Bachmann, Paul for example)...but I would say that both Newt and Romney would be able to hold their own in a debate against Obama.

#10 RedState, Dec 30, 2011
    Last edited: Dec 30, 2011
  11. AngelicDemonic

Seriously. and the Democrats *have* no race.

4 years of moron, 4 more years of nothing.

Better of evils, if I could vote I'd still probably vote democrat just because the republican party *can not* get its shit together.

[/generally prefers conservative economics, atm economics are kinnnddd of important. as are civil rights but... if no one has jobs. yeh no one's getting anywhere.]

12. steel03

I don't understand where this "Obama has done nothing/is a terrible president" idea is even coming from, other than Fox News. Um, did everyone forget about killing Osama bin Laden, repealing DADT, working toward financial reform, enacting policies to help students afford college, creating a few million jobs, passing health care (or some semblance of it, thanks but no thanks Congress), and repairing at least some of our reputation internationally? Not to mention Michelle Obama basically being the best first lady since Jackie Kennedy. If you think nothing is happening, you need to blame Congress, not the president, because unless he's a total asshole like Andrew Jackson, the president does not have that much power over Congress.

13. Zontar

To my surprise, Obama actually has terrific foreign policy. I'll grant the left-wingers that one. In terms of our military abroad, he's quite unstoppable.

His domestic policy, however, leaves much to be desired. The economy doesn't seem like it has improved since 2008...the whole "Occupy" movement is stark evidence of this.

Just like 2008, 2012 will come down to what is more important; foreign or domestic policy. Last time, I voted based on the economy. I'll probably be doing the same, as I don't really believe our wars abroad are scoring important goals anymore. Iraq is over and Afghanistan, more or less, seems to have turned into a "wrap-up" mission.

14. AngelicDemonic

Osama was luck, DADT was going to go sooner or later though yes (y) for that. Financial reform.. Uh. In his presidency our debt has gone up nearly 50% (10bil to ~15bil), what college policies my brothers are still fucked for getting money for school, any president would've created jobs, and the health care "reform" (IMO) is a negative thing.

I don't think he's a *horrible* president, I just don't think he's as great as all Democrats say.

15. NoName114

NoName114 Guest

to be honest I don't like either side of politics

16. RedState

Well, a few thoughts.

From a foreign policy standpoint he has not been bad...but it is kinda ironic that the successes that he has had in foreign policy have been the result of the continuation of the policies of his predecessor. I think his choice for chief diplomat, Sec. Clinton was an excellent one. She is, head and shoulders, more versed on issues...and I would even venture to say that she is a heap smarter than her boss.

From a domestic policy standpoint...and quite frankly from a leadership standpoint, he has been a disaster. The Republicans were terrible stewards of the fiscal house from 2000 to 2006. The only record that is worse than theirs is the current Administration...which is arguably the worst in history

"Fucking clueless" I had one Capitol Hill Democrat tell me one time when describing the President's economic leadership.

You don't have to be an asshole to have power over congress. You simply have to embody the essence of your message...you have to personify your cause to the point where everyone stops to think and says, "Yeah, I get what he is saying". Reagan was a master of it...that's why he had an overwhelmingly Democratic Congress often voting in lock step with him....that's how he got and retained the "Reagan Democrats".

And since when did we start judging the success of an Administration based on the First Lady?

Just to shift it back to the actual subject matter: what is it about Texas and their governors being good one on one, but being a disaster when they get in front of a camera?

#16 RedState, Dec 31, 2011
    Last edited: Dec 31, 2011
  17. steel03

Ugh goddammit why the hell did I even bring this up.
    It doesn't matter whether bin Laden's death was luck or not, it was a major military victory.
    As for financial reform, you're 13 and I think I can assume you haven't taken any serious economics, but while debt is not ideal and while this absolutely is a problem that will need to be fixed, debt and deficit are NOT the same as recession. The economic system that got us out of the Depression and that pretty much any reputable economist will tell you is the most logical and usable indicates that government spending is extremely helpful (and even the only feasible option) to get out of economic downturn. (Basically, when the economy stops working, it's because money stops moving, and the government is the only component of the system that has the tools to start it again.) And anyway, I said he is *working* toward financial reform. This cannot happen overnight! Congress, the bureaucracy, the media. There are soooooooooooooooooo too many hoops for any changes to be visible this quickly.
    You want to know how Obama is helping college students? Take it from a college student. He's helping. Don't believe me? Google it. Obama Student Loan Forgiveness Plan. Your brother hasn't seen any difference because it hasn't started yet. This is also another case of policy-would-be-a-lot-different-if-Congress-wasn't-in-gridlock.
    Obama created more jobs in one year than Bush created in eight. You're denying a real achievement because you don't want to acknowledge its existence.
    And health care... well, I'm guessing you just don't really understand how screwed up health care is in this country, because everyone agrees there's a massive need for reform, not just Democrats. The people who opposed Obama's bill opposed a few specific parts of it, not the idea of health care reform as a whole. Once again, pointless gridlock in Congress.

I created this thread because I was proud of my college and my town. It has nothing to do with Obama. I shouldn't have even gone there. I'm not responding to any more of this bullshit. Period.

18. Alex94

Alex94 Guest

See I want to enlist once I am 18, I feel that my sexuality and that of others does not matter.....

Ok unrelated but....Anyone else feel that at 18 being able to fight a war you should be able to drink? I mean if you can fight a damn war at 18 shouldn't you be able to drink if that is what you want?

19. Chip

Board Member Admin Team Advisor Full Member

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    That was a successful argument for many years after the drinking age was changed from 18 to 21. Service members were allowed to drink on-base at 18, everyone else, the drinking age was 21.

But ultimately, when the powers-that-be looked at the incidence of traffic fatalities among people 18 and under, and looked at how dramatically it dropped after the drinking age was raised... and then compared that with the phenomenal incidence of drunk driving happening around military bases... it became a decision of civil liberties for service members vs. traffic deaths, and lowering the traffic death rate was ultimately decided to be more important.

Certainly a controversial issue but not one without valid points on both sides.