1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Chicago cardinal compares gay rights to Ku Klux Klan

Discussion in 'Current Events, World News, & LGBT News' started by EmptyClosets, Dec 23, 2011.

1. EmptyClosets

Admin Team Full Member

2. Robert

Robert Guest

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Its important to remember that the Catholic Church is an organisation which often comes under attack in the USA.

Gay rights people do criticise the Catholic Church and see it as an enemy - that is only rational.

The Cardinal was simply warning that this march shouldnt be about bashing the Catholic Church. Its completely fine for him to say this.

The title of the article and this thread is extremely misleading. Gay rights activists should be more careful about strawmanning everyone who doesnt immediately applaud as soon as they enter the room.

3. Revan

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Yes cause we're clearly going to start attacking people or setting people on fire. Yup that's us. Oh no wait, that's them before it'll be us.

4. Emberstone

yah, cause the catholic church doesn't have a history of violence and intolerence *coughtwothousandyearsofantisemitisemineuropethatistheveryfoundationthenaziregimebuiltuponwhichcausedtheholocaustthatthecatholicchurchchoosetoignoreuntilonlyafteritwasdonecough*

That is like the ku klux klan kettle calling the pot the ku klux klan.

There is a vast difference between gay rights activist being critical of the intolerence and hatred of the catholic power structure (actual congregants tend to be more supportive and accepting of gay people and gay rights, but they also tend not to be allowed to be in the power structure of the church itself), and the catholic church working to deny equal rights becuase of their ancient and disproven supersititons.

---------- Post added 23rd Dec 2011 at 02:43 PM ----------

oh, and quickly, the 'ancient and disproven superstitions' is not a statement about god, but a statement about the notion that sexual orientation is a choice.

5. Ridiculous

Funnily enough the definition of 'superstition' is pretty much exactly the same as that of 'religion'.

These religious figureheads really are disgusting. They poison society with their hatred, hold back social and technological advancement, and blatantly and out-rightly cause damage to people they arbitrarily deem unworthy for their own gain. And yet people revere them.

6. Revan

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    On a different note, read The Last Testament of God, a Memoir by God. It's hysterical :stuck_out_tongue_closed_eyes:

7. Allecto

And the Church wonders why it's losing members. SMH.

8. WeirdnessMagnet

Gender Pronoun:
    Other
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Some people
    Cardinal George apologizes for linking Pride Parade to KKK - chicagotribune.com
    Well, "I didn't know it's a bad idea" isn't the best of excuses, but it's something.

9. Mogget

By public apology standards, this was a huge deal. He didn't pull an "if I offended anyone" or say he regretted his words were "misinterpreted." He owned up to what he did and said it was wrong. That's rare.

10. MusicMan12

I'm glad he apologized and I think he was sincere. But when I first saw that he said that (before he apologized) I was like, "oh HELL no!" lol

11. Revan

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Really happy to see him having apologized. Shocking.

12. Alexandria

Wow - that is almost as much of a load of chicken guano as the cardinal's statement.

As far as him apologizing, I have no doubt in my mind that he was doing no more than blowing smoke at everyone to try and hide his exposed true feelings. As mentioned previously, the vatican has had its slimy, blood soaked hands in multiple atrocious crimes against humanity, from the crusades to aiding hitler in the holocaust. The only thing he was apologizing for was letting his - and, the historically proven attitude of the vatican - feelings/attitudes out in the open.

13. Fintan

I have a lot of respect for this guy and his unconditional apology. He was distressed and apologised.

I think gay rights groups and Non-Accepting Churches -- need to focus on how we might work to change/reform to be more accepting rather than how we can destroy each other. Comments which suggest that LGBT people OR The Church are ridiculous and somehow we'd be better off without them are both unreasonable and unproductive.

14. Robert

Robert Guest

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Sir, if you wish to contradict my opinion, that is fine. But please do it in a way which is constructive. Explain what you object to and why.

15. tiredofsleep

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Religion is a means of control.

16. Alexandria

Apparently, my first reply got eaten somehow. O well, I will do so again. If you want it, you'll get it.

Attacked? HARDLY. Reprised against for the 'sins', the wrongs against not just the LGBTQ community, but women, minorities, and any thatd dare oppose its stance; a well earned, well deserved reprisal; one that makes me smile every time I see common sense and decency to humanity triumph over dogma.

The LGBTQ community did not choose to be an enemy of the catholic church. The catholic church chose to declare itself an enemy of the LGBTQ community, and acts on this daily. Where the hell do you think support for crap like Prop 8 gets its strength from?

Bull****ing****. He knew full well what he was saying, how, and WHY. The only reason he 'apologised' was due to the very deserved public outcry to such hateful crap; worthy of, well, an old ally of the vatican - and amuisingly what the current pope *WAS* at the time - a damned nazi.

That's a blatant, damned lie; one that is to be expected from catholic apologists.

While I will grant there are occasionally such cases of this happening; this instance IS NOT ONE OF THEM. What it is, is a fine demonstration of the true if usually hidden sentiments of a hypocritical faith that was forced via public outcry to back off; at least till, as demonstrated in the other topic, the pope himself stood up and tried to spout the same hatred. :ban: ***:g:

Btw. Apologies if this winds up being a double post; my berry isn't fond of proboards.

#16 Alexandria, Jan 9, 2012
    Last edited: Jan 9, 2012