1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Help the Campaign for Youth Shelter

Discussion in 'Current Events, World News, & LGBT News' started by anatta, Dec 30, 2011.

1. anatta

There is a new campaign in the USA to make more shelters available for homeless youth. As many of these youth are homeless because they're LGBT, LGBT organisations and activists are encouraged to get involved as well. I'm not a US citizen but I would imagine that by signing petitions, contacting local LGBT groups etc., anyone in the US could make a difference.

Article

The article is just a little unfair to LGBT adults I think, because most people are simply unaware of the problem. Even this article he writes does not actually shed much light on the details, as you can see by the many surprised questions asked by commenters.

He still doesn't explain, for example, whether people under a certain age are actually FORBIDDEN from using adult shelters or whether they simply don't seem like safe places to the ones who are instead waiting for spaces to become available at youth ones; whether the CPS has a legal requirement to care for them after a certain age or whether they don't come forward because they're scared of being forced into foster care or back home; at what age parents are legally allowed to stop providing care for their children... he leaves many unanswered questions about the actual nature of the problem.

#1 anatta, Dec 30, 2011
    Last edited: Dec 30, 2011
  2. anatta

Admittedly I should have given this thread a more grabbing title, but is there any particular reason people are reading and not responding? As I said, I don't believe the author is right that many in the LGBT community just don't care about this problem or find it inconvenient, because when people do talk about it it's with shock and disbelief that it happens, and many people here are of an age at which it could easily be them, but clearly there is something that is holding people back from talking about it and getting involved, not just here but in general. Is it lack of knowledge about the issue or about the ways in which politicians are making it worse through funding cuts and policies? Is it that it's too depressing?

#2 anatta, Jan 1, 2012
    Last edited: Jan 1, 2012