1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Forget cardinals. Now it's Supreme Pontiff himself.

Discussion in 'Current Events, World News, & LGBT News' started by WeirdnessMagnet, Jan 9, 2012.

1. WeirdnessMagnet

Gender Pronoun:
    Other
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Some people
    Gay marriage a threat to humanity's future: Pope | Reuters
    Well, no one would expect anything else from him, but another part of the article that their positions on these things really give Catholics some converts, especially in the UK is... disturbing.

2. person54

I just can't take the pope seriously. I just hope that with the progress being made in lgbt equality these days translates into more close minded people meeting lgbt people that are out and hopefully come to change their minds.

3. Emberstone

should we really taking advice about family rearing from someone who has taken a vow of celibacy?

Thats like getting sex advice from a broken blender.

4. Ridiculous

He really is a unfortunate specimen, this pope. The real threat to humanity's future is people with misplaced authority voicing their incorrect opinions to an impressionable audience.

5. FleetFish

It kills me a little on the inside, to know my father sends money to the Catholic church every week. :***:

UGH! :tantrum:

6. Alexandria

Remember what I said in the cardinal topic?

Ditto it here. -_-;

7. ANightDude

It's not like this is a surprise. How would the world react if he came out with support of SSM? It wouldn't be very positive. The Catholic Church has huge stakes in many anti-gay places. To announce support of SSM wouldn't fly well with them. At all.

Also remember that the Pope (and John Paul II) have both denounced hate crimes and discrimination against gays. Like it or not, that's the best they can give right now.

8. Alexandria

Is it bad that the first I saw when I read that was S&M? XDD

No. Its not 'the best they can give' its 'the most they WANT to give, and that is begrudgingly. They don't want to let all be equal - because happy people are far less needing of faith and religion.

9. AngelicDemonic

-_- This is why I don't take organized religion seriously.

10. Emberstone

(Matthew 23:8-10) . . .But YOU, do not YOU be called Rabbi, for one is YOUR teacher, whereas all YOU are brothers. 9 Moreover, do not call anyone YOUR father on earth, for one is YOUR Father, the heavenly One. 10 Neither be called ‘leaders,’ for YOUR Leader is one, the Christ.

oh snap... catholics hierarchy rejected by christ himself.

The Pope is a aftermarket power structure created by men who wanted to dominate and control. the holy father is a 'sin'.

11. British Lad

British Lad Guest

Well what do they know, no priest or Pope can tell anybody about god as there taking the word of a book that has been corrupted over time to poor translations.

12. bdman

My parents donate money to the 700 club and Pat Robertson. I feel so rejected.

13. Porphyrogenitus

It's not a sin. Catholics aren't fundamentalists.

14. Emberstone

well jesus actually speaks out against it in the bible, so fundementalisem is not in any way relevant here.

but technically, catholicisem is fundementalist. They choose to believe in and do alot of things the bible repeatedly rejects, including christ himself.

its the not so secret dirty little secret you learn when you academicly study religions.

15. Porphyrogenitus

You seem to have the opposite definition of fundamentalism as me. Christian fundamentalism is characterised by belief in the literal and absolute truth of the Bible, and in having the Bible as the highest, ultimate authority on all things religious. The Catholic Church doesn't do that - it has its own body of doctrine, evolved over the millenia, which forms the body of its beliefs, and which trumps a plain text reading of what the Bible says. It's more a matter of interpretation than downright rejection (as in, they might point to the Jesus talking about Peter being a rock and building a church bit as justification for Papal Supremacy), but that's essentially how things operate.

You'll notice that they mostly get into trouble when they try to bring science or social matters into what they're saying (as here). On doctrinal matters, assuming you accept their basic premises (which, of course, many don't), and assuming that they actually know what they're talking about, they're on very firm ground.

#15 Porphyrogenitus, Jan 10, 2012
    Last edited: Jan 10, 2012