1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Openly gay in the Army, what to expect

Discussion in 'Current Events, World News, & LGBT News' started by Alex94, Jan 10, 2012.

?

Should I be worried about enlistment?

Poll closed Jan 17, 2012.
  1. Yes!

4 vote(s)
    13.8%
  2. No!

13 vote(s)
    44.8%
  3. Only if their is a reason you should be.

5 vote(s)
    17.2%
  4. Not sure.

7 vote(s)
    24.1%
  1. Alex94

Alex94 Guest

Gay in the Army?

I want to enlist in the Army, I am worried about others finding out I am a lesbian. What do you think I should expect, will I get Hell if they know I am a lesbian?!? :help:

FEELING VERY PATRIOTIC, THANK YOU TOBY KEITH PERFECT SONG FOR MY MOOD!!!!
    [YOUTUBE]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ruNrdmjcNTc&ob=av2n[/YOUTUBE]

#1 Alex94, Jan 10, 2012
    Last edited by a moderator: Jan 10, 2012
  2. Mercy

Mercy Guest

im very touched ny this post im so proud of you :slight_smile: remember be ur self n dont let any one tell u different

3. Alex94

Alex94 Guest

Thank you. I don't know exactly how far I will get in this journey, but I won't give up hope. It just worries me how hard it will be and how I may fail....plus I have to wait until I am 18 unless my parents give permission. (They don't know about my wanting to enlist, so that won't happen.)

-Their is alot my parents don't know.....:dry:

#3 Alex94, Jan 10, 2012
  4. No One

I know how you feel. This summer I will be going into the Navy. I am nervous as well, but I am going to remain true to myself no matter what other people think. Now that I dont have to remain silent, I have the power to protect myself without fear.

5. Alex94

Alex94 Guest

Wait a second! I can go without being silent?!? What! My best friend said I had to stay silent!! :eek:frowning2:She may have just said that so I might not want to go though....she kind of has a thing for me):grin:

#5 Alex94, Jan 10, 2012
  6. Zontar

Don't Ask, Don't Tell has been formally repealed not too long ago. Go nuts.

7. Alex94

Alex94 Guest

See this is what happens when you don't have cable/internet! I could have known this if I had a tv and or computer.....but this works to, better late then never!:thumbsup:

8. Beachboi92

From what i understand you really don't need to worry about it. I know a number of gay military people (especially lesbians because for some reason i know a lot of lesbians). But all of them say they have no real issues with them being a lesbian. The way i understand it is that they generally get a pretty good reception although most of them apparently stayed quiet about it for a while and waited for their sexuality to get out on it's own rather than formally coming out to people. Of course most of the lesbians i know in the military also enlisted while DADT was still in place but even then most of them where out on some level.

9. No One

I really wouldnt worry. With DADT being repealed, you can go to a superior if anyone messes with you.

10. Emberstone

you only have to worry if a anti-constitution republican is elected to the presidency, which basically is all of the current canidates. even so, it will be hard for them to sucede in overturning it, since majority support for repeal of DADT existed both in the civilian and in the military worlds.

11. No One

The only way a president could over turn the repeal would be through an Executive order, which would be career suicide. The presidential candidates knows there is no possible way they will be able to do it, especially with there being enough time until they take office to prove that it doesn't affect military readiness. The only reason they are even making it an issue in this election is in the hopes of winning over those few far-far-right republicans.

12. Bibliophile

Ok guys I am former Navy myself and can tell you my branch of service people dont really care. I know a few people from other branches and in my experience most of them felt if you can do your job and dont expect to be treated differently well then you are ok by them. I do want you to know you WILL be teased. You WILL be messed with but you can tell when its brotherly and sisterly fun and when its mean. I will give you an example. I am really short so people made fun of my height all the time, would put my tech bag up high to mess with me. But they never meant any harm by it. Sure it gets kinda rough with the teasing but everyone does it to everyone. They will expect you to mess with them back. Really though if it goes to far tell them and they are very likely to chill. To No One if you have more direct questions about boot or the Navy in general message me I will answer all I can. When you are ready to hit the fleet after boot keep in touch I am sure I can give you info that will be useful or at least make sure your command is doing what it should.

13. Alex94

Alex94 Guest

See I can deal with teasing if it's not in a serious way that is just fine. I just don't want to get the crud kicked outta me.(put nicley.)

(I feel I have been talking to my best friend to much, she has been freaking me out......most likely so I will change my mind, but I will never do that....this is what I want.):icon_bigg

---------- Post added 11th Jan 2012 at 02:02 PM ----------

Yeah, I don't think they would commit career suicide....If they would then they have serious issues up in their heads!

14. Red87

I've been in the army for nearly 6 years now, and I'm going to be making Staff Sergeant soon - So I've spent most of my time in a DADT-enforced army.

Honestly its a mixed bag. DADT is gone, but the amount of crap you'll get really matters what kind of unit you'll be going to. Are you going to be around a lot of combat arms guys (infantry, combat engineers, etc), then you may catch flak. Since you're female, you probably won't have any problem - I've only ever seen gay males catch any heat about anything, and that was prior to DADT. Nowdays as long as your command isn't incompetent anyone giving any GLBT person trouble for their sexuality should be punished either internally or under the UCMJ.

I've known lots of gay people in the Army, myself included, and haven't seen anything terrible at all, just a bit of misunderstanding (people thinking you're gonna hit on them etc). Now that DADT is gone I've not seen any harassment. Again, the Army is HUGE and it totally depends on where you go - you could go to a bad unit or a good unit. Hell, there's 2 gay guys in my current company and they're both extremely out of the closet and honestly no one really cares. I keep my orientation separate from work, personally, because I don't feel that they should have anything to do with each other and people I work with don't need to know, but those that I consider good friends I've had no problems telling.

Any questions about army life etc. or being GLBT in the service, you can ask me or PM me.

Edit: Also, while you can be openly gay, don't bring it into the workplace or flaunt it around a unit - your personal life shouldn't interfere with your duties, which holds true for GLBT and straight people alike. I'm a firm believer in the fact that if you're in the Army, you're a Soldier first and foremost, taking precedence over anything else.

#14 Red87, Jan 15, 2012
    Last edited: Jan 15, 2012
  15. Alex94

Alex94 Guest

Thank you for posting to this forum, I also believe work and private life are just that. Only reason I am so concerned is I don't want to make friendships with people I will work with, and afterwards have them treat me different when I tell them about my sexuality. I would rather tell them from the beginning. I don't know if that makes sense or sounds stupid or what not...